Author Topic: Yet Another Post On My Path To Nirvana... DAC  (Read 2883 times)

Offline Brap

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Yet Another Post On My Path To Nirvana... DAC
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2021, 01:16:28 PM »
Make sure it is the "long disco version" from The Anthology album. 
Fritz Carrera 7 Be
VTA ST-70
Parasound Halo P5
Oppo 105
Rega P3
Ortofon Quintet Bronze
Cambridge CXN streamer
Teac 3340S
Anticables 3.1
Masterbuilt reference/Kimber Cable IC

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2021, 10:36:49 AM »
Nice post.  Dialed in my system to 95%. Had streaming issues from iPad with Qobuz on the Cambridge CXN, got a new dongle and that did not help. WiFi signal showed 90+% but still cutting in and out.  Decided this weekend to fish a ethernet cable from the main floor to basement listening room (that was a chore), and Viola -- all fixed. Appears the Cambridge likes that better, still trying to figure out how that improved WiFi signal from iPad but not sweating that anymore. Ended up getting a variac or my ST-70 since the voltage in the new place fluctuates from 116-127VAC - not great for tube longevity. All better now dialed in at 119.  I have excellent imaging and whether you like it or not, there is a older dance track, Amy Stewart, Knock on Wood that provides some great soundstage. Hearing full front wall and side wall imaging - nice recording. Vinyl is sounding good also, Vivaldi 4 seasons, excellent.  Noticed some bass reflections from the front wall so ordered up some panels from Audimute, coming next week. Being said, very happy and enjoying!
Happy New Year to all.

Keep in mind that the Cambridge CXN is a streamer. It is the CXN itself that communicates with Qobuz and downloads the music you are hearing. The he iPad is just a remote interface with the CXN and  it only exchanges control messages back and forth with the streamer. These messages are very short and low bandwidth compared to the music itself. SO by connecting the CXN to a wired ethernet connection you are doing all of the heavy lifting over the wired connection. The communications that the iPad does with the streamer is pretty lightweight which is why your WiFi connections handle it with no problem.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Brap

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2021, 11:17:51 AM »
Tmazz -- thank you for the explanation, I really appreciate it. I am new (last year) to the streaming game and have not investigated the relationships with the various interfaces. I now know to ASK AN folks first before I go down the path with the manufacturers.  It took 4 weeks to get this dialed in but that is water under the bridge. BTW, Had to run a Ethernet cable through a couple of walls, meaning, had to cut off the connector to fish and then install a new one.  Bought the crimper and connectors. A little time consuming adding the new connector but finally figured it out.  Next time won't take that long.  Thanks again for your help.
Fritz Carrera 7 Be
VTA ST-70
Parasound Halo P5
Oppo 105
Rega P3
Ortofon Quintet Bronze
Cambridge CXN streamer
Teac 3340S
Anticables 3.1
Masterbuilt reference/Kimber Cable IC