Author Topic: problem on system shut down  (Read 2304 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
problem on system shut down
« on: November 22, 2019, 08:45:51 AM »
I was enjoying music last night and turned my system off. The ICE amp has auto shut down (a feature I don’t care for) which takes 15 minutes. My normal routine is to turn the volume all the way down on the tube preamp and then flip the off switch. If I forget to turn the volume down (and it has happened a couple of times), then there’s a loud pop from the preamp.  Last night I turned the volume down and then heard a loud sound coming out of the right channel about 5 or more seconds after I did that. I pulled the power cord out of the amp.
Would appreciate comments on what likely happened and how to proceed.
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: problem on system shut down
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 10:21:06 AM »
  I assume that you turn amp off first which is proper procedure, then preamp. The Amp as you found out must be fully off before preamp  turned off.  If not Kaboom as you heard. Hopefully you did not blow a cap or resistor or speaker voice coil. . Any smell of something burning ? If not you may be lucky. Next time mute the volume from remote on preamp if you cannot wait 15 minutes. Did you try it again today ?

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 11:00:33 AM »
  I assume that you turn amp off first which is proper procedure, then preamp. The Amp as you found out must be fully off before preamp  turned off.  If not Kaboom as you heard. Hopefully you did not blow a cap or resistor or speaker voice coil. . Any smell of something burning ? If not you may be lucky. Next time mute the volume from remote on preamp if you cannot wait 15 minutes. Did you try it again

Charles,
I have not turned it on today. I do not unplug the power cord from the amp ice each time. Amp auto shut off may be great for a ss pre, but not a tube one. There wasn’t any burning smell. I can wait 15 minutes and set the timer etc.... Thats a bit tedious for a modern system. Anyway, thanks for your input.
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 11:05:49 AM »
  Then just mute the preamp remote. Hope all is good when ya fire it up again.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 11:28:18 AM »
  Then just mute the preamp remote. Hope all is good when ya fire it up again.

charles

Volume was all the way down. Will fire it up later.
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline mresseguie

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 02:25:15 PM »
Nick,

I’ve experienced that pop when I use my IceEdge amp and forget to shut the amp down first. It’s irritating.

I urge you to immediately ship the Carreras to my location in Atlanta so I may make certain they are not damaged. I won’t even charge you for the service.  8)

My Kootenay tops out at 56 pounds and 3/4 of that weight is located in the rear 25% of the amp. I don’t like to move it very often.

Michael
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 02:37:13 PM »
Nick,

I’ve experienced that pop when I use my IceEdge amp and forget to shut the amp down first. It’s irritating.

I urge you to immediately ship the Carreras to my location in Atlanta so I may make certain they are not damaged. I won’t even charge you for the service.  8)

My Kootenay tops out at 56 pounds and 3/4 of that weight is located in the rear 25% of the amp. I don’t like to move it very often.

Michael

Michael,
What a generous offer  :) :) It amazes me how wonderful the guys on this forum are! By the way, I’m up and running and everything sounds fine. Lesson learned.... As I’m up til 1:00 am sometimes listening to tunes, I was trying to save preamp tube wear and not wait another 20 minutes to go to bed. Anyways, putting more hours on those Fritzes. PM sent as well.
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 06:08:27 PM »
Nick

Is there a way to bypass that auto shutoff on the amp as that amp and Class D in general need to be left on all the time.  Also like Charles said even though you turn the preamp all the way down engage the mute circuit before shutdown of the preamp.
JVC QL-Y7 w/ Denon DL-301 Mk II
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 06:31:46 PM »
Nick

Is there a way to bypass that auto shutoff on the amp as that amp and Class D in general need to be left on all the time.  Also like Charles said even though you turn the preamp all the way down engage the mute circuit before shutdown of the preamp.

Jack,
I assumed turning the volume all the way down would achieve the same result as muting it. Apparently muting provides additional protection. As to bypassing the auto shut off, it may be a “mute” point...excuse the pun:) ...as I might be going a different direction anyway. I’ll give that more thought this weekend.
I appreciate your thoughts and it’s great to have you on this forum  :thumb:
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2019, 06:55:36 PM »
Muting it should close the circuit.  I don't remember if the auto-shutoff is standard and has to be disabled by the builder or the other way around but when he built the Mivera amps Mike disabled it. I would assume that it is standard for use with subs. 

As for going in another direction I can understand that as they do sound great with both tubes and warmer A/B SS amps.  Trying the EL-34 based Mystere now with the BHK tubed preamp.  My reluctance to rely on tube amps full time has always been due to the over six months a year of 95+ degree days but I still keep them around.  Good luck with what ever direction you go in and I think they would sound great with Michael's amp as Don makes great gear and you live in the climate for them. 

Glad to be here I've enjoyed it so far.
JVC QL-Y7 w/ Denon DL-301 Mk II
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2019, 07:13:35 AM »
  Well thank goodness no issues Whew ! Nick IMO turning off the class "D" amp is a mistake. Leave it on for 24/7. As suggested MUTE the Pre then turn off. You will definitely hear a difference after 3 days of amp being on. Foe some odd reason class D amps do not like to be turned off. Every one we tried same result.

charles

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2019, 08:36:33 AM »
In the old days we used line strips with AC power switches for that (I still do).  Maybe a new version is needed.   

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2019, 08:54:46 AM »
Late listening last night and just left the pre on.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2019, 01:43:24 PM »
  Well thank goodness no issues Whew ! Nick IMO turning off the class "D" amp is a mistake. Leave it on for 24/7. As suggested MUTE the Pre then turn off. You will definitely hear a difference after 3 days of amp being on. Foe some odd reason class D amps do not like to be turned off. Every one we tried same result.

charles
When I had the Classe' 25 I let that amp run 24/7 It was all solid state so there was no tube wear to worry about. Now when I got that ARC VT-200 the story changed 180 degrees. With 16 output tube the change I did not let that amp run any longer than I needed to.  :roll:

But it is not only amps, I had an Audio Alchemy DAC (the my son still uses today) that if it got turned off for 10 minutes took three days before it sounded decent again. But there again, it was a really small drain and not tubes to wear out, so I didn't see any harm in keeping ot powered up.

And I have other gear that is warmed up and ready to go in five minutes.........
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2019, 02:19:30 PM »

charles

In hindsight, probably shouldn’t have bought an amp with auto shutoff. Wasn’t really comfortable with the idea. But overall, it’s been a good performer
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS