Author Topic: The Test  (Read 4959 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
The Test
« on: October 24, 2007, 07:41:56 AM »
So the new toy is broken in [ component,IC,Speaker cable,etc.] and ready for the test. Whats the first piece of music you play to evaluate the new addition? Second is it an LP or CD first and why. In other words whats is your Reference program material and why. Music first, source second.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

miklorsmith

Re: The Test
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 07:44:51 AM »
I'd say Patricia Barber is my "flavor of the month", but she's been that for about 30 months.  I just can't get enough.

Her sound is incredibly varied, from chaotic to smoky, delicious, and simple.  The recordings are all good, some are utterly superior.

Source is CD or Squeezebox through an Altmann or Lessloss DAC.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 09:42:35 AM »
Bella Fleck - Left of Cool - SB3

Followed closely by the live version of Keith Don't Go by Nils Lofgren

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 09:55:53 AM »
I listen to "So What" from Kind of Blue. It has everything I need to hear, and after listening to it for 30 years, I know it well. That trumpet solo has a lot of low level info that is surprisingly revealing when you know what's there. Recorded in 3 track, it (should) create a rock solid center image. One of the first high end recordings ever made (1959), there are still a few mixing mistakes and studio noise that are revealing of space and dynamics. The piano/bass intro is rich in bass harmonics, and changes in sax and trumpet tone are easily heard. Miles solo is surprisingly timid and sensitive when ultra low details are audible. Jimmy Cobb's ride cymbal is the most real recording of cymbal I have ever heard. Teo Macero recorded it, also all the famous Brubeck stuff, same sound.

I just learned that Sony has recently closed that studio in NY where all those great Columbia sessions were made. The studio manager was a bigger than life character with whom many artists loved to work for many years. When he passed, business fell off and the building was worth more as office.

I use SB > Altmann DAC. It is very revealling.
Good question rollo

miklorsmith

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 10:32:35 AM »
I have to admit, Kind of Blue is a staple with me too.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 03:54:18 PM »
  For me its RR sampler "Tutti", then Sonny Rollins "Plus Three" on CD. For LP its Americas' "America" then "Fitzgerald & Pass Again" Analouge Productions revival series. Johnny Cash " American Recordings".
     Tutti offers the full orchesra as well as solo violin, chorus and some Tympanies to shake your balls. Sonny sax the piano and cymbal and snare work on track 1 says it all. America gives you acoustic guitar, great vocals and a great soundstage. Ella's voice is like a potion, love potion that is. Pass on guitar, what a touch and with all the microdynamics you could ask for. Johnny Cashs' voice is so pure, the Male voice at its best.
     I feel I cover all the parameters of the playback experience for me with the above. All facets of the system are dealt with, leaving no doubt.

rollo
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Bigfish8

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 05:17:54 PM »
The first tracks I would select would be from Bruce Hornsby - "Here Comes The Noisemakers."  The tracks are "Piano Intro/Great Divide,"  "Mandolin Rain, Black Muddy River," and "The Valley Road."  I have no explanation other than I listen to these tracks quite often and I really enjoy the music.

Ken

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 12:08:48 AM »
The last time I tested anything was 4 years ago when I was involved in testing RCA jacks for a power amp project. The Vampire pure copper direct gold plated jacks worked best for me. Vampire part no.CM2F-OFC  I used some of these CDs for testing.  I listen to vinyl for enjoyment only. In fact if listen to music, it is generally for enjoyment, testing something is not something I enjoy doing. I listen to music at home the same way I listen to music live.That is I experience it as a gestalt, I don't divide it into artificially contrived component parts and then analyze them. 
Burmester CDIII
Symphonic Star Trek by Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra.
Sounds of Wood and Steel
Killer Bees: Airto Moreira and the Gods of Jazz
R. Carlos Nakai , William Eaton , Will Clipman , Nawang-In A Distant Place
 Benny Carter-In The Mood for Swing
 Heart of the Forest/The Music of the Baka Forest People of Southeast Cameroon
 Eva Cassidy-Live at Blues Alley
 Roy Orbison - A Black & White Night
Chris Isaak : Heart Shaped World
The Legend of Johnny Cash
Mino Cinelu 1999
Kodo-Mondo Head
Me'Shell NdegeOcello-Dance of the Infidel
Thievery Corporation-The Cosmic Game
Soundtrack to Stargate SG-1 TV series

Scotty

Currently playing CD  Al Di Meola- Splendido Hotel

« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 09:23:56 AM by _Scotty_ »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 07:12:10 AM »
The last time I tested anything was 4 years ago when I was involved in testing RCA jacks for a power amp project. The Vampire pure copper direct gold plated jacks worked best for me. Vampire part no.CM2F-OFC  I used some of these CDs for testing.  I listen to vinyl for enjoyment only. I fact if listen to music, it is generally for enjoyment, testing something is not something I enjoy doing. I listen to music at home the same way I listen to music live.That is I experience it as a gestalt, I don't divide it into artificially contrived component parts and then analyze them. 
Burmester CDIII
Symphonic Star Trek by Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra.
Sounds of Wood and Steel
Killer Bees: Airto Moreira and the Gods of Jazz
R. Carlos Nakai , William Eaton , Will Clipman , Nawang-In A Distant Place
 Benny Carter-In The Mood for Swing
 Heart of the Forest/The Music of the Baka Forest People of Southeast Cameroon
 Eva Cassidy-Live at Blues Alley
 Roy Orbison - A Black & White Night
Chris Isaak : Heart Shaped World
The Legend of Johnny Cash
Mino Cinelu 1999
Kodo-Mondo Head
Me'Shell NdegeOcello-Dance of the Infidel
Thievery Corporation-The Cosmic Game
Soundtrack to Stargate SG-1 TV series

Scotty

Currently playing CD  Al Di Meola- Splendido Hotel

I used the word "Test" to catch some attention to the thread. Maybe I should have just said what do you put on first when the new toy is ready for a listen. In essence listening for enjoyment is what what were doing as were testing out the new toy.
    Those Vampire copper RCAs are the real deal. I used CMC solid Silver RCAs on my passive. Switching to the Vampire made a nice difference. My RCA of choice these days.

rollo

Offline _Scotty_

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 09:10:09 AM »
Thanks a lot rollo, there is a good good chance that sooner or later I will have to look into the silver jacks as an upgrade to the copper ones I am now using. Did you compare the silver jacks to the copper jacks? If you did, what differences did you hear between them? Inquiring minds want to know. PM me if necessary so as to not derail the thread.
Scotty

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 11:08:12 AM »
Scotty,
             I'm not so sure its an upgrade. The silver was a tad to thin and bright for my taste. Detail in spades, hot top end, bass lacked authority. A clearer picture was about the only advantage. You may like that though. They are cheap enough I believe $12 a pair if I remember correctly from VT4C studio [www.vt4c.com] in Hong Kong. For me the Vampires are the ticket. A good product. Not much of a Silver guy.

rollo
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 07:54:28 AM by rollo »

Offline _Scotty_

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 03:22:45 PM »
rollo, that was easy. I am kind of disappointed that silver is not appropriate in this application either.
When I used DIY solid silver speaker cables and ICs this sort of problem did not occur. The silver was replaced with a differently designed set of copper cables that were superior in every way. There appeared to be no advantage to silver due to metallurgy alone. I keep thinking that a 5% increase in conductivity over copper ought to count for something. If Vampire built a silver set I might try them at some point. The worst sounding wire I have heard has been silver plated copper. It fits your description of the silver jacks and then some. No silver plated wire that I have heard used in a cable regardless of the geometry employed  has not had a similar sort of problem. Of course there is always an exception to any generalization. The leads used on Hovland MusiCaps
are finely stranded silver plated copper, I and others whose ears I trust have not heard a problem we can directly attribute to the metallurgy in the leads. The focus in the highs can be improved a little bit by cutting the leads short and soldering on a solid 20ga copper lead wire.  I switched from silver bearing solder to lead free solder a few years ago because for some reason silver solder did something unnatural to the midrange and highs when directly compared to leadfree solder. The effect was subtle but you could easily tell which was which in a single blind test. Somehow the silver just sounded wrong.
Scotty

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 07:59:09 AM »
I agree. Silver just has a character I find overbearing. Just forget silver plated copper. Bright and hard. We are getting off the subect. If we start a topic on silver Vs. copper I believe all hell will break lose. Who is going to start it you or me?

rollo