Author Topic: Neutral or colored Whats your Gig?  (Read 11297 times)

miklorsmith

Re: Neutral or colored Whats your Gig?
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2007, 10:49:13 AM »
100% agree   ;)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2007, 11:01:30 AM »
rollo, I like your last idea about listening to someone live in your room and then listening to a recording made of them playing in your room. The only problem is you get to hear your room acoustics twice. Once when they are playing live and twice when you record them in your room and play it back in your room. You have recorded the reverberation field they created while playing and then energized the field again when you listen to the recording. The way to avoid this is to record them in a studio as dryly as possible so that you are listening to the reverberation characteristics your room has added to playback only one time instead of twice.
Scotty

Makes sense to me. Never considered that. Great point. However my room measures almost flat through the frequency range. Lucky me I guess. Its an odd shaped [ like me ] room  basically with only the front and rear walls being parallal. A dead front end and live rear.  Live clg. dead floor. All first and second reflection points treated. If I was a bit more computer literate I could post some pictures.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2007, 03:41:30 PM »
Carlman,as far as room colorations are concerned we are into recording studio and mastering room design at this point. I think if the reverberant field from the highs down into the lower midrange has a flat spectrum and is supressed far enough relative to the direct sound then you could consider the room neutral without it having to be an anechoic chamber. Rooms used for mastering are frequently built to achieve this goal.
Start of rant.
I think diffusion in the listening room is under utilized by most audiophiles. The first thing an audiophile seems to do when they get a dedicated room for their system is to remove all of the furnishings. The room must be empty
except for the stereo system and the altar and then they wonder why their system sounds like crap.
They never realize that the furniture in the room is their friend. It provides absorption and diffusion both of which help reduce standing waves and even out the frequency spectrum of the reverberant field in the room.
End of rant.
Scotty

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2007, 08:34:28 PM »
Agreed to a point.  However, having a 'clean slate' to deal with is a beautiful thing - as long as you're willing to do what needs to be done for your particular application and room.  I'll agree that diffusion is underused.  A BALANCE of diffusion and properly placed absorbtion is the best approach.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2007, 07:28:20 AM »
I consider the recorded ambience part of the performance. Good luck finding recordings without it, whether Avery Fischer or Lexicon's finest. It's gotta be there.

I also agree that one reverberant field is company and two's a crowd. Since you can't get rid of the recorded ambience then controlling the listening room is the only option to reduce that mode of distortion. I continue to experiment with quasi-anechoic listening space with excellent results. It is natural to dismiss anechoic space for hifi listening, until you try it!

If you listen to studio recorded music, then the ambience is distortion free. There are no reflections in a reverb algorithm, unless added by the engineer. If you listen to recorded space, the room can vary from awesome to shit. Nothing you can do about it. But if you eliminate additional ambience in the listening room, your brain will adjust to the shit room and perceive the music recorded there as if you were there too. :) Especially with stereo pair mics. Diffusion in the anechoic room would help you feel more comfortable when music is not playing, but would distort the music with (diffuse) reflections and reduce the illusion by holding your mind in the present time/space.

BTW, I recorded a string quartet in my listening room last year. I will try to make a short clip with a raw take versus the mastered version. It would be cool if I could play it back in the room and record what it sounds like compared to the original. Hmm, maybe I can do that, gotta find a quiet time after kids are in bed. 

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2007, 08:05:34 AM »
Hi Rich,

"I will try to make a short clip with a raw take versus the mastered version."

Any chance I could get CD copies of the raw and mastered versions?

Take care.
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2007, 10:10:20 AM »
Shouldn't be a problem :)  Please PM your address Steve.
I will try to post those today

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2007, 04:10:17 PM »
Shouldn't be a problem :)  Please PM your address Steve.
I will try to post those today

PMd you Rich. Should be cool.

By the way, one can get a cd quality of the Nagyvary violin vs Strad violin, for shipping costs only, at this website. Very good quality cd.

http://www.nagyvaryviolins.com/

Thanks.
Steve

ps. My cd only has 4 tracks, but I have no reason the added tracks won't be of the same quality.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 07:45:56 PM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers