Author Topic: Are Your screws Loose ???  (Read 17070 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Are Your screws Loose ???
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2015, 07:39:00 AM »
Sorry, I'm not loosening screws anywhere that i feel would comprimise reliability, warranty, or safety. The IEC is the portal for incoming power and that baby is not going to be touched.

Chicken ! :-P You can always re-tighten them after a listen.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2015, 07:46:46 AM »
I agree with all that. Best chassis is no chassis but that becomes a pure audio device and not practical.  So we are stuck with milled al or wood of some type IMO too. I like putting wood under transformers and let the the chassis sit on aluminum plate. I don't mind the sound of aluminum. 

The sound of a copper chassis is best, IMHO...

My $0.02,
Pete

Who uses a copper chassis?

Also, BorderPatrol electronics, on their amps, preamps & power supplies...

The Loesch & Weisner preamp as well. Actually elevated by Alum posts and visco elastic washers. Loosening those screws was big in improvement.
   To date no covers on any gear, loosened trannies for CDP separate power supply, Loosened duplex outlet hanging out of box, Loosened IEC at CDP and Uberbuss's.
   The result is more info, bigger and open sound stage with improved PRAT and better focused bass.
    Experimenting is fun and rewarding. One learns and hears the differences. Some will not improve some will. Fun, fun, fun. Thanks Werd.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2015, 02:52:47 PM »
You will notice the tension now on every system you hear Charles.  You will be thinking "fix that". What you spent a $100k on a system and it sounds like that?  :rofl:

Sorry
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Werd

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2015, 02:09:59 PM »
I agree with all that. Best chassis is no chassis but that becomes a pure audio device and not practical.  So we are stuck with milled al or wood of some type IMO too. I like putting wood under transformers and let the the chassis sit on aluminum plate. I don't mind the sound of aluminum. 

The sound of a copper chassis is best, IMHO...

My $0.02,
Pete

Who uses a copper chassis?

Also, BorderPatrol electronics, on their amps, preamps & power supplies...

The Loesch & Weisner preamp as well. Actually elevated by Alum posts and visco elastic washers. Loosening those screws was big in improvement.
   To date no covers on any gear, loosened trannies for CDP separate power supply, Loosened duplex outlet hanging out of box, Loosened IEC at CDP and Uberbuss's.
   The result is more info, bigger and open sound stage with improved PRAT and better focused bass.
    Experimenting is fun and rewarding. One learns and hears the differences. Some will not improve some will. Fun, fun, fun. Thanks Werd.

charles

You are welcome Charles. But i didn't do anything but mention it. It was you that did it. It's worth mentioning that Bryston gear is very responsive to this. Anybody that thinks Bryston is too sterile, using the new SST/2 series one might be very pleasantly surprised. I am no longer using Bryston amps but Chapter audio but nonetheless it worked.

Mike Pickett was very receptive to this and recommended locking nuts on my 14B since they sit vertically attached to the front chassis. Not on the base like every other Bryston.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2015, 06:55:48 AM »
  Ok now to date no covers on gear except CDP as it is a top loader, all outlets hanging, all IEC's loose in gear and Uberbusses. All gear sits on Pon-tune footers except power supplies for preamp which rest in a bed of sand in a wood box and the preamp itself on Sound Fusion footers. All racks supporting such are Arcicci welded steel frames with brass top plates. TT is in sand box supported by an old Target speaker stand.
    So what was the gain besides tired fingers unscrewing everything ??? The most open and dead quite presentation I ever had and believe me that is saying something.
    With the addition of BB filled boxes on the Ubers and preamp power supplies it is alive with dynamics and presence up the ying yang.
   All cabling is TWL and adding the digital power cord was well not realized fully until the screws came loose, go figure.
   Room treatment is three RPG wood difussers [ 2x4 side by side and one atop] on front wall, Synergystic Research HFT's on the walls[ 2 sets ]. Rear wall has a wood blind directly behind listening position about four feet away from chair.
   So what next ?? NOTHING, yes sir you heard it here NOTHING.

charles

Offline Werd

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2015, 10:38:41 AM »
I got my power supplies on my dac and bdp raised and sitting on wood with no screw down tension.  I would like to do that with my chapter amp but I need a schematic to just get in it. It's got to many hidden cabling and ties down. its basically like a Blue Circle using a stand off with a chassis set around. The entire cap bank is on top and I can't see how it screws out. Plus the on and off button is the biggest service call on it and it don't want to screw with it because it works... Lol.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Werd

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2015, 10:46:57 AM »
Any one with Bryston gear should try this because it takes the entire edge off the sound that seems to be the biggest complaint with Bryston. You get that analytical Bryston sound but relaxed to where it sounds unbeatable. Best of both worlds. The only thing I don't like about Bryston is their use of nickel plated everything on their gear. They need to stop that immediately.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2015, 10:35:59 AM »
Ah yes the ole nickel plating issue. Every time I replaced an RCA which was nickel plated with either silver or copper the results were better in the top end. Period.
   I like the Audionote RCA which is silver over brass ????

Yes brass not copper. A VG synergy. For speaker binding posts all copper or silver. Or better yet no connector at all. Get off your lazy arses and clean those connectors already. One a month in da basement and every 3 months in a no humid area.
   Progold is my Buddy. Cleaning first with a commercial contact cleaner a la TWL then Progold.
   BTW all copper cryo treated duplex receptacles as well get cleaned.

charles