Author Topic: Are Your screws Loose ???  (Read 17069 times)

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
Re: Are Your screws Loose ???
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2015, 07:30:39 AM »
  Werd the Pipedream drivers have been adjusted many moons ago. Loosened them then snugged them a quarter turn. Much better tonality and presence.
   Interesting bout the outlets since awhile back the quad outlet was just loose as one screw for a duplex was stripped and not used. I went through hell getting the broken screw out and replaced with new. Ok it is finnally tight and now I should hear an improvement. Not so. I then forgot the outlet tightening. After awhile I wasnot happy with the tonality. Could not determine why since everything was the same no tweaks since nada.
    So last night I loosened both duplex outlets screws to the box. Well, well, well. I'M BACH. F'n crazy. Screws ???? to an outlet box.
    I know that Furutech has designed an outlet to better control resonance. Now I know why. What I really would like to do is remove the plugs and outlets all together and use wire nuts and bare wire in a junction box [ plastic]. Some day I will experiment with that.
    In the mean time the IEC screws will be done today for a listen.
     Having fun doing so as this tweak costs nothing.  Reversible as well, oh my !!

charles

The least amount of torque on the drivers the better. The problem is you can't go loud. But you can play them at a nice volume. Like really loose.
That's what I was saying, 

The outlets were the first thing I did. Which i didn't like. Thinking back I am inclined to believe one component might present itself with too much contrast.

I own the Furutech outlets I have them hanging not even attach to the wall. All the outlets in my Torus are loosen including the ones I don't use since they are all tied together. 

:thumb: glad you tried this Rollo.  :thumb:
There is no turning back.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2015, 07:35:57 AM »
  Werd, well why not. Of course I would try your recco. We cannot learn anything without trying. Those who dismiss tweaks will forever be in the dark. The world is flat ! Think again.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Werd

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2015, 03:59:13 PM »
In terms of sonics alone the chassis is about the worst thing for audio. Its worse IMO for making a good system sound bad than a bad room.

Aside from grounds the circuit doesn't need the chassis. It's completely unnecessary but necessary for the manufacturer to get their audio circuits into your home. It's the fly in the ointment sonically. 

But it's salvageable by disengaging from the chassis as much as possible.  There is a release or less tension to the music. It's how it should sound or how I like. To each their own but it's there and anyone can adjust it. 
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2015, 06:56:31 AM »
   Tried loosening the tannie bolt. Well removed it all together from the QOL processor. To my ears an improvement in imaging and ease of the music.
   Then the outboard power supply of the Lector CDP. Again more open in stage and better focused bass. A keeper for now.
    The wall outlet is now hanging loose from the box. Appears more natural in presentation again ease of sound with zero loss of dynamics.
    PRAT improved as the toe was a tapping more then before. This is crazy stuff. should not be but it is. I have zero explanation why only the effect wrought.
   TRY IT

charles

Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Werd

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2015, 08:33:52 AM »
Take a zap from an outlet and feel the vibration. 60hz across the hand. Hopefully not through the heart because the vibration can kill.  All the platform tweaks and isolation tweaks address this simple concept and yet do not offer any effective solution. Almost all vibration induced distortion comes from the AC electricity itself. It's made worse by tightening down to a piece of metal chassis.  That's the only thing I can think of.   

Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2015, 06:49:19 AM »
 OK IEC's loosened on Uberbuss and CDP power supply again an improvement heard.
  Took another look at the three transformers in the CDP power supply and decided to try turning them on their side allowing no wire to touch another. Positioned them at 90 degree angles to each other as well. Better yet.
   Werd you were spot on about the cymbals. Brilliant !!

charles

Offline bobrex

• Seeking Help
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2015, 12:45:11 PM »
In terms of sonics alone the chassis is about the worst thing for audio. Its worse IMO for making a good system sound bad than a bad room.

Aside from grounds the circuit doesn't need the chassis. It's completely unnecessary but necessary for the manufacturer to get their audio circuits into your home. It's the fly in the ointment sonically. 

But it's salvageable by disengaging from the chassis as much as possible.  There is a release or less tension to the music. It's how it should sound or how I like. To each their own but it's there and anyone can adjust it. 

I was thinking about this and I wonder about the impact of different chassis materials and construction types.  Following your logic, and still keeping the idea of needing a chassis (electrical safety, WAF,...), it would seem to me that the bent metal chassis, whether AL, Steel, or CU, is probably the worst type.  I'd think that the best type (or at least better) would be the milled AL (think Ayre) or pehaps better still, wood with a top plate (my Moondogs fer instance). 

Offline Werd

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2015, 02:01:23 PM »
I agree with all that. Best chassis is no chassis but that becomes a pure audio device and not practical.  So we are stuck with milled al or wood of some type IMO too. I like putting wood under transformers and let the the chassis sit on aluminum plate. I don't mind the sound of aluminum. 
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2015, 02:08:54 PM »
I agree with all that. Best chassis is no chassis but that becomes a pure audio device and not practical.  So we are stuck with milled al or wood of some type IMO too. I like putting wood under transformers and let the the chassis sit on aluminum plate. I don't mind the sound of aluminum. 

The sound of a copper chassis is best, IMHO...

My $0.02,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline Werd

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2015, 04:25:51 PM »

My $0.02,
Pete

Who uses a copper chassis?
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2015, 07:55:56 PM »
Dan D'Agostino:

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2015, 05:27:28 AM »

My $0.02,
Pete

Who uses a copper chassis?

Also, BorderPatrol electronics, on their amps, preamps & power supplies...

www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2015, 06:45:28 AM »
Sorry, I'm not loosening screws anywhere that i feel would comprimise reliability, warranty, or safety. The IEC is the portal for incoming power and that baby is not going to be touched.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline Werd

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2015, 07:59:06 AM »
Compromises none of that... At all actually. Just do not loosen grounds or anything attached to heat sinks.  Naim incorporates a loose IEC already.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline bobrex

• Seeking Help
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2015, 10:35:59 AM »

My $0.02,
Pete
From an EMI POV, I'd agree.  But from a vibrational view, I'm not sure that sheet copper is going to any different than other sheet metals.  I'm not 100%, but I'd bet that at the sheet guages we are discussing, the metals all act the same.