Author Topic: Big audio trade  (Read 5024 times)

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
Big audio trade
« on: February 21, 2015, 07:04:56 PM »
Ok i basically got a new system  :rofl:. Made a big trade on audio which seen my Bryston 14Bsq gone. Including my Acoustic zens and my paradigm sub.

Ok here are the trade particulars and let me know what you think.

I contributed:

Bryston 14B (latest version)
Acoustic zen Adagios
Paradigm servo 15
Blue Circle line pillow
Carver c1 pre amp.
10year old Samsung digital lcd display. Its old but still cool
1998 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8litre 150k. Needs eletrical work. (Runs good though)
And Warmoth 6 string bass (needs to be rewired) small job actually but a pita.

For:

Chapter 400S 2channel 400watt power amp. Class D. It honestly doesn't get better than this in Class D. 100lb class D amp utilizing multiple Toroid transformers.

Nola Viper Refernce 3 speakers. Out board xover using Valhalla jumpers.
Also 2 Nola Blue Thunder Subs. I talked about this earlier.

Chapter audio is out of business so there is no nothing if it breaks. I wouldn't know how to get a schematic and it is a complicated amp.

What do you guys think?

What do you guys think?

Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Big audio trade
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 09:16:33 PM »
Don't know any of the pieces on either of the trade first hand, but as a very happy Nola Boxer owner, the idea of Nola Vipers with the Nola subs intrigues me.

As for the Chapter amp I wouldn't worry too much about getting repair service for it. Even without prints there are a lot of talented repair techs out there who can repair damn near anything without formal documentation. (I use Scott at SG Custom Sound (www.sgcustomsound.com)and have never had any problems getting things repaired including my Moscode amp which is in the same situation as the Charter.)The only way you might run into trouble is if the amp uses any proprietary parts or modules that can no longer be obtained. But as long as the amp uses off the shelf parts you should be able to find someone to repair it if need be.

Have fun with the new toys!  :drool:

Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 08:00:43 PM »
My free methods of obtaining pricing aren't working so well with how Audiogon has made changes to their completed listings. I couldn't find anything on the Nola Reference 3 in terms of historical pricing.

One thing of concern for me is the street value of the Chapter Audio 400S. An ad from Audiogon years ago had it going for about $12K. Then a listing on Canuck or USA Audiomart has it for $5500 USD or 6500 CAD. That is alarming to me in terms of value.

As for Chapter Audio are you sure they are out of business? Their website is still active and I found some dealers in Canada and the USA. I didn't get a chance to contact them though.

On A Higher Note
26081 Via Estelita
San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675
T +1 949 488 3004
M +1 310 266 6337
F +1 949 612 0201
E pohanlon@cox.net
W www.onahighernote.com
Skype philipohanlon-onahighernote

Here is the Canadian Distributor:

Clarity Audio Ltd.
179 Verbeke Road
Saskatoon Sk.
Canada S7K7J5
T +1 306 9556385
E clarkhertz@hotmail.com

Also Scott @ SG Custom sound really knows his way around gear. He has done all sorts of work for me through the years.

Overall I think the swap was fair. The audio gear you got was really cool and not run of the mill. That Chapter 400S seems like a killer amp that is built like a tank. Wish I lived closer to give it all a listen.

Offline Werd

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 08:25:51 PM »
Actually that is the amp i have.  Ive had it in my house since he has been trying to sell it. Clark was in my house today. He was the Canadian Distributor and the company has ended. I've had that amp in my house for at least 6 months already. Chapter also hasn't had a very good after service reputation which probably helped in their demise.

The amp has sat in a well known reviewer's house not used because the reviewer couldn't turn it on... Lol. It can be a bitch if you don't treat her right. There is a toggle ground that lets you set the ground out the chassis or back down the cable. It will not play in my Torus it has to be plugged into the wall or no music. The grounding is buggy but once you get over the learning curve of the amp it's a go and it's glorious.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Werd

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 09:19:18 PM »
Anyone in the neighborhood are always welcome by too  :thumb:. If you don't mind igloos and looking out for polar bears...  :rofl:
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 07:05:17 AM »
Anyone in the neighborhood are always welcome by too  :thumb:. If you don't mind igloos and looking out for polar bears...  :rofl:

Sounds like the NY City area for the past two weeks.  :roll:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 07:44:42 AM »
  Love the new speakers. Did not see a new preamp listed though. You know what I think about class "D". Have not heard the one bought.
   A big change Buckaroo. You will be having fun putting the final touches together. Everything changes now.  8)

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Werd

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 10:59:54 PM »
  Love the new speakers. Did not see a new preamp listed though. You know what I think about class "D". Have not heard the one bought.
   A big change Buckaroo. You will be having fun putting the final touches together. Everything changes now.  8)

charles

I am using a Chapter Precis S integrated set to preamp. Its a great 250 watt Class D hybrid and makes a great preamp. I've been using that into the Bryston too.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 02:39:27 AM »
Not a big fan of class D, but those speakers are great.
If I were in the market for speakers, Nola , would be the only speaker on the list. Their new stuff with the Alnico magnets is pure musical heaven.
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 09:27:59 AM »
  Carl has always made a fine product. Werd hybrid ? Where is the tube ?
   Class "D" needs some tubes somewhere in the system. Lean, lean and more lean. With the amperage available they can drive any speaker with ease. With 40 Amps available the headroom is priceless.
   So what else are you considering changing if anything ? you know you have opened Pandora's box.  Change one thing and the chase starts again.  Fun fun fun I think.

charles

Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 09:54:08 AM »
  Class "D" needs some tubes somewhere in the system. Lean, lean and more lean.

True for some, like NCore, but not all. The new Classe Sigma has very dense, sensuous tone, hard to forget, and DAC Cherry is even TOO fat and bass heavy for my taste.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 10:00:16 AM »
   Too fat wow. I need to listen to more. Thanks Richidoo. Hands on beats opinions every time. nice to learn something.

charles