Author Topic: Tweak of Tweaks  (Read 31419 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Tweak of Tweaks
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2015, 03:43:06 PM »
No new age technology for me, been there done that.

My favorite tweak is a good night sleep and a belly full of vegetables. Mind is the most important component in any audio system, but also the least understood and most neglected.

... and a nice glass of wine couldn't hurt.  ;)
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2015, 03:54:53 PM »
Rich, speaking of conditioning your mind for a listening session, have you ever seen the instruction manual for the Moscode 600? It contains a whole section on what Harvey Rosenberg considered the proper way to prepare yourself for listening to the amp for the first time. Ol' Gizmo may have been a bit of a kook, but underneath his tongue in cheek humor he just may have been on the right track.

I have attached a pdf copy of that section of the manual for your amusement.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline richidoo

« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2015, 05:51:14 PM »
Is that the one when he puts on a silk robe and all that?

Offline tmazz

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2015, 06:27:53 PM »
Is that the one when he puts on a silk robe and all that?

That's the one. Sorry I forgot to attach the file. Here it is.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline richidoo

« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2015, 06:46:11 PM »
CooL!

Offline tmazz

« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2015, 08:01:23 PM »
This is a link to a device like the Acoustic Revive RR777 that Topround and I purchased a few years back for only 165.00.

http://new.audiogon.com/listings/sw1-rr-77-schumann-resonance-rr77-rr-77--7

It doesn't look like it is sold anymore

Evan,

Here is a link to a similar device currently being listed on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schumann-Resonator-Chartres-audiophile-tweak-with-Enclosure-Case-/251518984613?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8fb321a5

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline satfrat

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2015, 01:16:31 PM »

Looks like I found just what I was looking for here, Natural Glacier Crystal, refreshing blue Himalayan salt lamp. I bought 2 lamps and will be placing them on top of my main Lorelei loudspeakers which are next to all my electronics. Let them negative ions interact with my electronics positive ions.

Thanks Charles & Tom for this enticing tweak! :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Satfrat
So how long does it take before the air is ionized?

I received my 2 Blue Aromatherapy Himalayan salt lamps yesterday, have them sitting on top of my main Odyssey Lorelei's with my Panny plasma tv in between and boy do I love these lamps with their 25 watt blue bulbs! They really seem to make the plasma colors pop and I'm really digging the Vermont Maple Syrup fragrance from them. Interestingly, my neighbor was tapping my maple trees the same day I got the lamps.

Oh Emil, I was told to keep the lamps on 24/7 to maximise the lamp's ionization as it takes quite a while for these lamps to completely warm up internally. Keeping them on 24/7 was pretty much a given anywho. I also had to use some "audiophile" rubber pads underneath these lamps as they do get quite hot at the lamp's open bottom, not good for veneer. Just simple 1/4" thick rubber but it's audiophile grade cuz I'm using it.  :rofl:

I love the blue glow of these lamps so much hat I'm considering getting 2 more for my rear Lorelei loudspeakers but with dimmers so they don't wash out the TV (already tried them there).

Just about all my rack's components have blue LED's and my 2 Butler tube amps shine blue tubes so these lamps fit right in with my room's ambiance. Makes me feel real cozy inside,,,, maybe it's all them ion's running amok?  ;)

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2015, 08:20:53 AM »
Gee, I wonder what happens if you fill their reservoir with weed instead of maple syrup?
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline satfrat

• Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2015, 10:29:53 AM »
Gee, I wonder what happens if you fill their reservoir with weed instead of maple syrup?

It would probably dry out the essential thc oils the & ruin it,,, and that would be a waste. But hash oil??? That has my mind reeling,,,, if my mind serves me correctly.  :mrgreen:
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline tmazz

« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2015, 06:19:26 AM »

I would think something to do with large bags of Fritos.....   :rofl:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

GT Audio Works

« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2015, 07:46:30 AM »
Hi All,
Though I would share the results of a friends advice on improving my system on the cheap.
I invited a friend of mine up for an evening of listening to music.
Igor Kuznetsoff runs a small audiophile business here in NJ  called “K Works”
He offers many audiophile goodies, cables, cords, interconnect, power conditioners, headphone amps, electronics mods,  and many others.  All reasonably priced and very effective.
Igor does not have a web site but here is a dealer of his   http://brilliantzenaudio.com/
Upon hearing my latest speaker the GTA 2.5 , Igor had some advice on improving my system, he always does…hey it’s what he does !
I must admit I had not put much effort into my system. No tweaks at all, just hook up and go.
On Igor's advice, a run down to Sports Authority yielded a dozen racquetballs.
On his instruction I strategically placed them under my amp and preamp and CD player.
The amp and preamp benefited from this tweak. The CD player was not fond of the ball tweak, and responded better to Maple board and spikes under compression of the CD chassis between the 2 shelves of my component rack. Sounds weird but it works. (see pics) but I am still experimenting with this part of the tweak.
The difference in the speaker’s presentation is not subtle, it sounds like I upgraded to much more expensive equipment.  Noise floor has been significantly reduced, resulting in greater transparency and solidity of images as well as soundstage width depth and height. The presentation holds together no matter how high the dynamic swing or spls call for. The speaker tracks micro and macro dynamics even better.
Everything is just "more there" with less artifacts riding along with the signal.
While it all looks like a kludge, it works sonically. You can pay a bundle for audiophile approved devices, but this is dirt cheap ($12.99/dozen balls) and yields great results. I will be building a nice maple rack (similar to below pic) and nice hardwood ball holders to visually compliment the setup.
Greg
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 10:56:51 AM by GT Audio Works »

Offline Werd

• Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2015, 06:09:55 PM »
Hello Greg from GT

I did the squash ball thing. Cut them in half. Didn't really do the trick. Kind of squashed the prat. You say the CD player doesn't like it. That should tell you something. I think the Bryston CD player tells the whole story. If it doesn't work under the source it basically won't work anywhere imo.  

I had that CD player and it's fabulous, I also had the bda1 and own the bda2. What Bryston source gear likes is aluminum. Better than wood imo. Get that CD player on a nice aluminum shelf or sit it on top of component that has an aluminum chassis. And open it up and loosen the scew holding down the transfomer and iec connect. Loosen all screws holding down the pcb boards. It will open that CD player right up.  

Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Prιcis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2015, 08:27:39 AM »
   Tennis balls as well do the trick. A big fan of of Pon-tunes under CDP. Similar to roller blocks using tested and measured results.
   Using Arcicci Airheads for amps which sit on Pon-tunes. Air heads sit on Ebony cones. All components using Pon-tunes either sitting on Maple or Plexiglass resting on steel stands which are grounded.
   Greg build a wood box to hold balls then put as many in that fit. Use a plinth atop balls and be happy.
    Greg glad to hear you have come around to trying these tweaks. You drove me nuts when we were setting up the system for Capitol Audiofest. They can be very affective as you just found out.
    Hooray !!

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Werd

• Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2015, 10:56:17 AM »
Ok I got to ask. What are pon-tunes?
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Prιcis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2015, 12:14:56 PM »
They are the grey cylinders under this boat that help it to float.

To use them effectively in an audio system, first you need to fill your pool with water and eject the kids. Make a raft of several of these. Put your CD player on the raft (get Pete to build you a long waterproof power cord and set of interconnects). Don't let anyone jump into the pool while playing music.

They are very effective I've found.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 12:16:42 PM by BobM »
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.