Author Topic: Need a power conditioner maven  (Read 30587 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Need a power conditioner maven
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2015, 01:29:04 PM »
Unfortunately my power cables are touching the ground. i guess they are "grounded"  :lol:

Come on Jim, use hockey pucks to lift them.  #-o
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Scottdazzle

• Seeking Help
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2015, 02:45:12 PM »
Unfortunately my power cables are touching the ground. i guess they are "grounded"  :lol:

Are you serious about hockey pucks?  i've got a bunch of them in a closet somewhere.
Viva Hifi in Vienna, VA
email: vivahifi@gmail.com
Retired

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2015, 04:05:50 PM »

Are you serious about hockey pucks?  i've got a bunch of them in a closet somewhere.

I think hockey pucks have to much surface area to be effective. Never tried though. I read online about above ground power transmission. They used those power cable guides. They are made of ceramic, assuming there is an electrical benefit since they wouldn't use something that didn't worked good for effective power transfer. 
So i have been keeping an eye out for anything ceramic  :lol: to hang or make contact on cabling for a riser.

I know its real 3rd floor wacko hospital nervosa stuff but hey i am in it for the long haul.  :thumb:
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2015, 08:30:31 PM »

I think hockey pucks have to much surface area to be effective. Never tried though. I read online about above ground power transmission. They used those power cable guides. They are made of ceramic, assuming there is an electrical benefit since they wouldn't use something that didn't worked good for effective power transfer. 
So i have been keeping an eye out for anything ceramic  :lol: to hang or make contact on cabling for a riser.

I know its real 3rd floor wacko hospital nervosa stuff but hey i am in it for the long haul.  :thumb:

Overhead power lines are mounted on ceramic guides not because of anything to do with the transmission of the power, but rather just the opposite. The ceramic material is used for it's insulating property. The reason it is there is to support the cable physically while making sure that none of the electricity is is conducting flows into the pole or metal tower that it is mounted on, which of course is stuck in the ground and would cause a dead short. This is not an issue with the cables we use in our audio systems since they are all insulated and well protected for the working voltages that they carry.

And while the surface contact area of a hockey puck under a cable is greater that that of some other types of cable supports, one three inch diameter puck placed \every three to four feet is still a heel of a lot less contact area than laying the entire cable on the floor. And seeing that I know Jim is a hockey coach, I knew he would have a bunch of old pucks laying around which make the whole experiment...... free.   :thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2015, 06:00:24 AM »
Got that right! Question: Do transformers in the conditioners have an adverse affect on sound?
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2015, 07:10:37 AM »
Hey Scott good to see you posting here. Hockey pucks will act as vibration suckers. They reside under my washer and dryer. Dead quit now.
   For cable lifters I use the ceramic insulators used for temporary lighting on construction projects. Some are hung by shade rope with a loop to hold ceramic insulator.
    Be advised that when you move your cables allow 2 to three days to settle again.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Scottdazzle

• Seeking Help
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2015, 07:43:19 PM »
I've been lurking for awhile. That other site has been getting a little too nasty for my delicate sensibilities.  :lol:
Viva Hifi in Vienna, VA
email: vivahifi@gmail.com
Retired

Offline richidoo

« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2015, 08:48:36 PM »
Question: Do transformers in the conditioners have an adverse affect on sound?

No. You already have transformer in this role, your power transformer. As any hardened magnetics addict will admit, more magnetics are always better! Any transformer power conditioner will do a few positive things: filter out high frequency noise from the mains, provide large reservoir of energy in magnetic form, reduce source impedance of the power (so says Torus.)

If your power conditioner is also a balanced power converter, then you add the benefit of reducing common mode noise in the system and have a quieter floating ground, as well as the above advantages of any transformer.  Read some of the equitech papers for better explanation than I can remember. The disadvantage with the large transformers is they hum very softly, but if you require dead silence then you need to isolate it mechanically and acoustically.

The regens are great too, as long as they have enough power. I would buy a PurePower unit in a heartbeat. It powered some of the best bass I've ever heard with Legacy Focus SE and Edge 400W stereo amp.

Offline Werd

« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2015, 11:00:24 PM »
Got that right! Question: Do transformers in the conditioners have an adverse affect on sound?

Yes, what you are asking it to do is exactly what the transformer in an amp or dac, preamp already does. You really do not need another transformer between the component and the local neighborhood transformer. There are advantages and disadvantages. Its crap a shoot as to whether it work or not.

The advantage is the transformer sets up a single point of reference between the numerous component transformers and the local neighborhood supply. This is good since that reference will see the local neighboor transformer with much less impedance than multiple smaller transformers. This is good for power draw since your stereo is in competition with every other appliance in the neighborhood, including your own house.
The disadvantage is big tranformers tend to hum and attract noise. Especially if you have two big ones in series. (Everything gets amplified) so what can happen is that noise gets amplifed through speakers. It ends up as hash.  But if it works it works great and the smaller transformer are always saturated and never get starved too.

Big huge amps should sit on their own with their own 15 amp supply imo. But smaller amps can sit with the rest of the stereo hooked up into a conditioner.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 11:02:32 PM by Werd »
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2015, 04:27:24 PM »
OK so I went on a spending spree today. ln addition to a TT I also purchased the Exactpower power conditioner. Don't know much about it but I guess I'll find out.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline Werd

« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2015, 05:25:07 AM »
Exact is good   :thumb:
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline KLH007

• Seeking Help
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2015, 07:12:58 PM »
OK so I went on a spending spree today. ln addition to a TT I also purchased the Exactpower power conditioner. Don't know much about it but I guess I'll find out.

How does the Exactpower sound in your system?

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2015, 09:56:16 PM »
well, I had to return it. The unit I got had a bad winding and it had a 60hz hum. Lucky the guy was easy to deal with. Now I am looking again.

BTW, other than the hum it made the system sound better.

DRN

« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2015, 02:48:39 AM »
For what it is worth for the last at least ten years I have been using a
brick wall, same as a Zero Surge power filter and it more than meets my requirements. Been there done that with all the power crap years ago.
$250 and your done. 8 outlets. The Furman's are supposedly good but I have not heard one in my system. No need to get that elaborate or costly.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2015, 11:48:46 AM »
I've been lurking for awhile. That other site has been getting a little too nasty for my delicate sensibilities.  :lol:

Exactly ! Spread the word. No attack mode on AN just adult conversations.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.