Author Topic: Need a power conditioner maven  (Read 30323 times)

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Need a power conditioner maven
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2015, 06:31:01 AM »
I should take this home 
It's awesome, but the WAF is well into the negative numbers with that unit.  :rofl:

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2015, 07:01:50 AM »
I should take this home 
It's awesome, but the WAF is well into the negative numbers with that unit.  :rofl:

No the wife loves deathnrow remember  :rofl:
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2015, 07:08:27 AM »
Here is the sticker

If that unit is as old as you say it is the oil inside the transformer is likely to be full of PCBs. So if you ever walk into that room and see a slimy puddle on the floor, treat it as a toxic waste spill and do not clean it up yourself.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Werd

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2015, 07:48:32 AM »
That is the sticker on the new unit.  But that old one never thought about the pcbs. I Should make them come and get it out.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2015, 09:23:51 AM »
Here's an appropriate sticker to put by that one:  :thumb:

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2015, 06:48:21 AM »
Bob that is vry funny thanks, made my morning coffee better.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2015, 07:22:59 AM »
  Before we plunge into a conditioner some basics first. Get a circuit tester and multi - meter. measure to see what voltage you have at listening time.
   Check the circuit with tester to verify proper wiring. If all wired right and we have 122V good.
     Remove existing receptacle, disconnect wires and clean them. clean receptacle as well. reinsert wires after treating with pro-Gold and tighten well. Change the receptacle to a 20A industrial type.
     Now we can try conditioners. There are several ways to do such. One is a isolation transformer plugged into dedicated circuit then using a power conditioner plugged into that.
    Isolation of digital gear is key to any power set up. If one can have two dedicated circuits using one for digital and one for analog even more affective.
    If not the conditioner selected must have a dedicated line for digital.
     Some designers and power experts suggest no conditioning of digital gear only the analog. Lifting the chassis ground [ if available on unit ] on digital is a plus. Power must be grounded but not the chassis. Can be a big improvement.
     One can try regenerating power conditioners, Balanced, brick wall, etc. They ALL have an effect on the sonic outcome. Not all conditioner work with amps well. Loss of dynamics can be a result.
     To date I have tried numerous conditioners. The one that does the least harm sonically is the Uberbuss. Using one for digital and one for analog fed off one dedicated 20 A line.
      No matter what PC used the Alan Maher devices were installed at the wire entry of the elec service and one in the receptacle box of the dedicated line. These devices are never going to taken out. Yes a royal PITA to settle [ 3 weeks] however worth every minute waiting. Result is more dynamics, more info and deeper bass.
      Almost forgot some more basics. All power cords should be lifted off the floor. None should touch each other. Keep at a minimum 6 inches apart. Digital ICs should be shielded as well as TT ICs.  Keep power cords away from internal in wall wiring as well 6 inches minimum. Keep conditioners away from gear at least two feet.
     Wire management is a part most neglect. ICs, speaker cable, power cables can interfere with each other so get to work and my bey you will hear better sound.
    A disclaimer I sell the Uberbuss.

charles

Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2015, 07:28:32 AM »
Thanks Charles, glad I could brighten your day.
Seldom do I have much intelligence to offer, but I do enjoy making smiles.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2015, 08:15:37 AM »

Good having you here ya fit right in.

charles

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2015, 08:26:33 AM »
Thank you Sir.  :D

Offline Werd

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2015, 08:33:12 AM »

Can u get the uberbuss in 240V?

Good having you here ya fit right in.

charles
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2015, 09:12:20 AM »
Me? No. Sorry, I can't make that much of a smile.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2015, 09:38:34 AM »
Charles, I'm starting off with a good foundation. New Electric service, panel, breakers, dedicated 20A line with Hospital Grade Outlets. Although the regenerator sounds good I can't ass the power amp to it. I remember reading to go passive with a big ass torroidal xformer. Unfortunately my power cables are touching the ground. i guess they are "grounded"  :lol:
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2015, 09:43:50 AM »
Charles, I'm starting off with a good foundation. New Electric service, panel, breakers, dedicated 20A line with Hospital Grade Outlets. Although the regenerator sounds good I can't ass the power amp to it. I remember reading to go passive with a big ass torroidal xformer. Unfortunately my power cables are touching the ground. i guess they are "grounded"  :lol:

Try lifting them to get a more open sound.

charles

Offline Werd

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2015, 10:31:12 AM »
Here try this for home made lifters its a flashlight attachment for bike handlebars. And then you can buy one of these ceramic rings from

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8mm-With-Black-Carbon-Fiber-Inlay-Ceramic-Wedding-Band-Ring-/161569421401

Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,