Author Topic: Need a power conditioner maven  (Read 30322 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Need a power conditioner maven
« on: January 20, 2015, 04:52:04 PM »
I am demoing a PS Audio 500 in my system and I am liking it. However they don't come up too often and I have read that because they are an active device there are reliability issues with them. So I am considering passive conditioning. Who make good power conditioners that I should consider?
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Need a power conditioner maven
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 07:35:11 PM »
The PI Uberbuss
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 08:00:11 PM »
Passive: Balanced power conditioning from Equi-tech or BPT

Active: PurePower

An active power regenerator like PurePower or PS Audio is just a big power amp, that plays only one note = 60Hz sinwave. If the amp is designed well and the output devices stay well within their safe operating area then it will be reliable.

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 06:18:37 AM »
Morning

Jim do you already have dedicated lines with upgraded outlets already? I would think that would be enough for power filtration. What ails your system that requires power conditioning?

Since I can't do dedicated lines I have a couple of band aids. For me I guess I use a lot of passive power conditioning in the form of Isolation Transformers. Due to budgetary constraints I use a combination upgraded outlets, Emotiva CMX-2 and CMX-6 power filters, Topaz Line Noise Ultra Isolators and Tice Power Block.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 07:03:39 AM »
   Jim if you want to demo an Uberbuss let me know.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 08:14:01 AM »
uberbuss getting some good press
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 08:16:09 AM »
Morning

Jim do you already have dedicated lines with upgraded outlets already? I would think that would be enough for power filtration. What ails your system that requires power conditioning?

Since I can't do dedicated lines I have a couple of band aids. For me I guess I use a lot of passive power conditioning in the form of Isolation Transformers. Due to budgetary constraints I use a combination upgraded outlets, Emotiva CMX-2 and CMX-6 power filters, Topaz Line Noise Ultra Isolators and Tice Power Block.

Yes I do have dedicated lines. I never knew I had noise in my system until a friend lent me a P500. There was an improvement. Moral of the story: Stop demoing equipment if you don't have a problem  :rofl:

Offline Werd

• Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 08:43:14 AM »
Find a conditioner that uses 240v 20amp balanced. Needs two 15 amp fuse space in your house fusebox like your dryer. Install 10gauge to the wall. My Torus rm20 is like this and it lights amps up a few notches. It is a passive output not active. You Will never look back and it will become the single most important component in your system.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 03:27:33 PM »
Just spoke to a couple of quite knowledgeable guys in Vegas recently (manufacturer and dealer) and they use the Equitech unit.
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Werd

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 04:28:53 PM »
The equitech looks good but their transformers go from single phase to 3phase from the house fuse box. 3 phase in home audio is pointless and there is no reason to spend that kind of money.  Which Leaves only single phase products as viable. 2 phase is where it's at. IMO of course.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 06:12:45 PM »
The equitech looks good but their transformers go from single phase to 3phase from the house fuse box. 3 phase in home audio is pointless and there is no reason to spend that kind of money.  Which Leaves only single phase products as viable. 2 phase is where it's at. IMO of course.

No transformer can convert single phase to three phase power. A transformer can only invert phases of separate secondaries.

Equitech may offer 3 phase products also, but that doesn't disqualify their single phase products from audio use. A balanced transformer converts a single ended 120V mains into +60V  0  -60V output. Ground floats, eliminating ground loop related hum. Lots of yuk is filtered out and many benefits from the balanced power. The large transformer adds reservoir of magnetic energy to especially help amps with relatively small transformers and storage caps due to high voltage (tube amps.) The only drawback to Equitech or BPT is the mechanical vibration of the large transformer. For tube amps it is lightning from heaven.

A small balanced power transformer kit for small amps available from Transcendent Sound.

Is Torus balanced power? I thought it was just big isolation tranny, single ended on input and output? Do they also have true balanced output versions?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 06:15:00 PM by richidoo »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 06:15:30 PM »
The PI Uberbuss

What is the technology used in Uberbuss?

Offline Werd

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 07:06:43 PM »
The equitech looks good but their transformers go from single phase to 3phase from the house fuse box. 3 phase in home audio is pointless and there is no reason to spend that kind of money.  Which Leaves only single phase products as viable. 2 phase is where it's at. IMO of course.

No transformer can convert single phase to three phase power. A transformer can only invert phases of separate secondaries.

Equitech may offer 3 phase products also, but that doesn't disqualify their single phase products from audio use. A balanced transformer converts a single ended 120V mains into +60V  0  -60V output. Ground floats, eliminating ground loop related hum. Lots of yuk is filtered out and many benefits from the balanced power. The large transformer adds reservoir of magnetic energy to especially help amps with relatively small transformers and storage caps due to high voltage (tube amps.) The only drawback to Equitech or BPT is the mechanical vibration of the large transformer. For tube amps it is lightning from heaven.

A small balanced power transformer kit for small amps available from Transcendent Sound.

Is Torus balanced power? I thought it was just big isolation tranny, single ended on input and output? Do they also have true balanced output versions?

You can order them Fully balanced 240v 20amp from the fuse box. There is not much to them other than the isolation and step down to 120v to each of their 8 outlets. They give you a fully balanced power cord from the wall to the Torus.

This is imo the only way to apply a conditioner to SS or high power Tubes. 

I got the transformer nut holding the transformer down out so the mechanical vibration is equalized into the chassis. Plus its sits on its own platform off the floor.

I have never heard a Single Phase Torus at home but only showroom but they do make their own transformers. They are transformer supplier. The smallest you can get is 20 amp or 10 amp per phase off the fuse box.

3 phase are for chefs..lol. Their stoves will operate at 240v and they can get another 120 for elements or microwave, clock ... Whatever, Completely pointless for home audio

Furhman makes 240V dual phase also. This is the only way to meaningful wire a conditioner. YMMV
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2015, 09:17:29 PM »
2 phase is where it's at. IMO of course.

FYI - Balanced 120v is still single phase.  The most common residential and small commercial service in Canada and the U.S., single split-phase, 240 V, features a neutral and two hot legs, 240 V to each other, and 120 V each to the neutral. Neutral wire is the return conductor of a circuit; in building wiring systems the neutral wire is connected to earth ground at least at one point. North American standards state that the neutral is neither switched nor fused except in very narrowly defined circumstances. The neutral is connected to the center tap of the power company transformer of a split-phase system.

A balanced power transformer simply lowers the voltage of each of the hot legs down to 60v rms so that you can get 120 by wiring across the 2 hot legs. While you are referencing the two hot legs to each other it is still a single phase system.

Three phase power is most commonly used in the power distribution grid because if it's increased transmission efficiency over single phase operation. End user use of three phase power is most commonly found when powering large machines or heavy duty motors because of the smoother operation and lower level of surging compared to single phase operation (would be nice for a TT motor is it wasn't  so damn expensive to bring three phase power into a home.)
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables