Author Topic: Two and a half months later...  (Read 13967 times)

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
Re: Two and a half months later...
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 10:00:11 AM »
Charles

Whatever 12B4A's are in the Dodd are what Gary shipped it with.  (I'm guessing your 12BH4 reference is a typo?) Yes, I'm sure my source has something to do with the sonic signature of my system, but then again... EVERY component in any system has a sonic signature!  If you think about it, anything from a pair of I/C's to a Power Cord to a component can be considered a tone control.  As always, it comes down to the ONE most important word in audio - SYNERGY.  I wouldn't argue with anyone if they said the Dodd is actually a better Pre-amp than the Primaluna, but in my system, for my ears and taste, I prefer the Primaluna.

As far as the Rogue goes, there's not enough power for my Vons.  Even though they are supposedly now 91db efficient (up from 89db before the upgrade) my VR-4 Gen.III's love the 300WPC giddy-up that my Moscode 600 provides. (You can even ask "rpf" Rob.  He even said it about my Moscode.)  

No doubt, active cross-overs are the better way to go in Bi-amping, but I didm't want to get that complicated with it.  You know that I respect your opinion, but I don't feel that my QED speaker cables are suspect at all.  (BTW - They are Silver clad copper, not all silver $$$) In the 2010 meeting at my place, the QED's weren't available because I broke a connector the day before the meeting, so we could only compare JPS Superconductor "Q"'s, Monster cable "home-brews", Audio Art SC-5SE's and Harmonic Technology Pro 11's. The following week once Scott fixed my connectors,  I did a speaker cable shootout here again with Bob M and Tommy Mag (I think?) with my QED's "in the mix".  Regardless of price, my QED's sounded the best.  

I'd love to try VS speaker cable, but their cable would cost me more that the complete speaker overhaul that Albert did for me in 2012.  (Not happening unless I sell a dozen houses this week!)  TWL is my next planned comparison if I can get Pete to make me up a set!?!

Bottom line is just what you said... if I like it, that's what counts.

Bill

P.S. - I'll take Chianti! :thumb:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 10:17:41 AM by StereoNut »
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline rpf

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 10:54:27 AM »
Bill,

If you sell 12 houses this week, forgot the speaker cables and just buy a pair of Rogue Apollo mono-blocks and a Hera pre-amp.  :rofl:

Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.
Sonos Connect, iFi SPDIF iPurifier, Schiit Modi Multibit, Audioengine 5+

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2014, 11:29:16 AM »
Bill,

If you sell 12 houses this week, forgot the speaker cables and just buy a pair of Rogue Apollo mono-blocks and a Hera pre-amp.  :rofl:

Even if you don't sell 12 house.... you only live once.  :drool:

(It is so easy for me to spend other people's money.   :rofl:)
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2014, 12:57:26 PM »
At this rate, it will be hard to sell a 1/2 a house this week, if I'm spending so much time laughing at Rob & Tom's replies!

Thanks for making me  :)

SN

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline Werd

• Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2014, 02:49:51 PM »
Werd

I know a lot of guys grumble about the "Made in China" issue, but what "sold me"on taking a chance on this piece (besides the great price used) was what the insides of this Pre-amp looked like.

Point to point wiring. Very clean, neat and organized. (See pic.)

SN

Yes it looks good. Last for years before servicing. Good quality control before shipping.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Prιcis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Hugh

• Angel City Audio
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2014, 04:02:43 PM »
Bill,

That's the Melody SP3 inert, right? :)
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio
Exclusive Melody US Distributor

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2014, 08:36:06 PM »
Werd: Thanks! :thumb:

Hugh: You'd have to tell me! :rofl:

SN

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2014, 06:33:37 AM »
Charles

Whatever 12B4A's are in the Dodd are what Gary shipped it with.  (I'm guessing your 12BH4 reference is a typo?) Yes, I'm sure my source has something to do with the sonic signature of my system, but then again... EVERY component in any system has a sonic signature!  If you think about it, anything from a pair of I/C's to a Power Cord to a component can be considered a tone control.  As always, it comes down to the ONE most important word in audio - SYNERGY.  I wouldn't argue with anyone if they said the Dodd is actually a better Pre-amp than the Primaluna, but in my system, for my ears and taste, I prefer the Primaluna.

As far as the Rogue goes, there's not enough power for my Vons.  Even though they are supposedly now 91db efficient (up from 89db before the upgrade) my VR-4 Gen.III's love the 300WPC giddy-up that my Moscode 600 provides. (You can even ask "rpf" Rob.  He even said it about my Moscode.)  

No doubt, active cross-overs are the better way to go in Bi-amping, but I didm't want to get that complicated with it.  You know that I respect your opinion, but I don't feel that my QED speaker cables are suspect at all.  (BTW - They are Silver clad copper, not all silver $$$) In the 2010 meeting at my place, the QED's weren't available because I broke a connector the day before the meeting, so we could only compare JPS Superconductor "Q"'s, Monster cable "home-brews", Audio Art SC-5SE's and Harmonic Technology Pro 11's. The following week once Scott fixed my connectors,  I did a speaker cable shootout here again with Bob M and Tommy Mag (I think?) with my QED's "in the mix".  Regardless of price, my QED's sounded the best.  

I'd love to try VS speaker cable, but their cable would cost me more that the complete speaker overhaul that Albert did for me in 2012.  (Not happening unless I sell a dozen houses this week!)  TWL is my next planned comparison if I can get Pete to make me up a set!?!

Bottom line is just what you said... if I like it, that's what counts.

Bill

P.S. - I'll take Chianti! :thumb:

Bill I typed RCA tubes. Anyway I was not debating the Dodd over the Primaluna. They are both VG products.
   For me silver over copper has a sing. of being colored bright. Can add sibilance to vocals and make cymbals sound crisp. That does not mean it is a bad cable just colored.
    Talking synergy to me is like preaching to the choir. just thought that different tubes in the preamp might have been a less expensive experiment. Or changing out the output caps with a rich sounding PIO cap. Say Jupiter or Jenson. Not expensive and still able to sell used.
   I have RCA tubes to try if you like. Yes Sir nothing like power and the Moscode is an excellent product. If it were me I would ask Grant to bring over his Carey amp for a demo. Hey why not if anything a learning experience.
    Just remember the source sets the stage character wise and the speakers show that off. Trying to make synergy usually starts at the source. Using cables as tone controls can work however it is the component that should be considered first. Cables should be neutral in character. It is not easy and takes awhile to get it right but the journey PRICELESS.
   The wine is in the pitcher.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2014, 07:27:00 AM »
Thanks, Charles. 

For me, swapping tubes and/or caps in/out of the Dodd seemed to be too involved and time consuming to get where I wanted to be.  Swapping in the Primaluna as a "unit" was easier and it "scratched an itch" I've had over that particular piece for quite a long time.  I just happened to be lucky enough that the Primaluna was a good fit here synergy wise.

As far as the source goes, I come from "Ivor's Army" of the source is MOST important.  But, I didn't want to approach that right now because my next step is going computer front end.

I have to run out for an appointment, so T.B.C.  Thanks again for your input.  Your insight and ideas are always valued here.

Bill

P.S. - It's the beginning of fresh peach season, so I'll have peaches in my Chianti please!

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

DaveC

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2014, 08:26:22 AM »

Bill I typed RCA tubes. Anyway I was not debating the Dodd over the Primaluna. They are both VG products.
   For me silver over copper has a sing. of being colored bright. Can add sibilance to vocals and make cymbals sound crisp. That does not mean it is a bad cable just colored.
    Talking synergy to me is like preaching to the choir. just thought that different tubes in the preamp might have been a less expensive experiment. Or changing out the output caps with a rich sounding PIO cap. Say Jupiter or Jenson. Not expensive and still able to sell used.
   I have RCA tubes to try if you like. Yes Sir nothing like power and the Moscode is an excellent product. If it were me I would ask Grant to bring over his Carey amp for a demo. Hey why not if anything a learning experience.
    Just remember the source sets the stage character wise and the speakers show that off. Trying to make synergy usually starts at the source. Using cables as tone controls can work however it is the component that should be considered first. Cables should be neutral in character. It is not easy and takes awhile to get it right but the journey PRICELESS.
   The wine is in the pitcher.

charles

Amen, brother Rollo!  :thumb:

Just wrote a post about the importance of neutral cables and good AC power and why "smooth" cables are a bad idea:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=127995.msg1350784#msg1350784

Stereonut, it sounds like you're getting closer to what you're looking for. Good luck!  :thumb:

Offline Hugh

• Angel City Audio
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2014, 08:36:09 AM »
Hahaha.

Touche. :)
Werd: Thanks! :thumb:

Hugh: You'd have to tell me! :rofl:

SN
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio
Exclusive Melody US Distributor

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2014, 11:01:34 AM »
Thanks, Dave!

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2014, 08:40:33 AM »
Bill,

If you have access to a fork lift or a crane to transport it from my house I have a 200wpc pure tube ARC amp you can listen to.  :D

And then when you fall in love with it your wife will want a piece of my hide. (Or should I say ANOTHER piece of my hide  :rofl: )
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2014, 08:46:12 AM »
it would be easier for us to bring our amps to your place to compare!! :-P So when you inviting us over!!
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2014, 12:01:52 PM »
Gentleman

I appreciate all of the suggestions, but at this point in time (and my current budget) I don't plan on doing any sort of amp upgrade to my system.  The Moscode 600 is going to be here for a long, long while.  I realize it's mine and I have a skewed opinion, but I feel it would take lots of $$$ to find a better amp for my system.  Besides, I don't really want to jump onto another equipment merry-go-round anytime soon. (I get motion sick very easily!)

My next experiment is listening with, then without my Uberbuss.  Emil found that it didn't make a noticeable difference in his house, so I'm going to see (hear) for myself.  If I find the same results, my Uber with go up for sale.

One step at a time.

SN

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L