Author Topic: speaker cables  (Read 28292 times)

Offline Hugh

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Angel City Audio
Re: speaker cables
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2014, 06:30:55 AM »
You're welcome Dave.

Incidentally, a good friend of mine is Neotech owner's friend and so I know a little about them. :)
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio
Exclusive Melody US Distributor

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2014, 06:58:48 AM »
You're welcome Dave.

Incidentally, a good friend of mine is Neotech owner's friend and so I know a little about them. :)

Does Mr. Pu know everyone, including all the multiple OCC manufacturers in the Far East?

I miss having phở with you, Hugh! When you coming to Brooklyn, again?

Cheers,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline Hugh

• Angel City Audio
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2014, 07:34:51 AM »
Pete,

I believe so.

According to what I know, there is a very small number of factories that actually manufacture OCC wires so don't be surprised if Brand A and Brand B are both made at the same factory.

Furthermore, unless I want to get into the cable business, even I can't specify to the factory what/how I want my cables to be made for a limited run. ;)

Notice I said Factory and not through US Distributor which in turn has to comply with his/her Brand manufacturer which may or may not has their own factory. :)

In regard to Pho, we can do it again at RMAF.
We will debut our new speaker, the Seraphim. :)

Thanks Pete,
You're welcome Dave.

Does Mr. Pu know everyone, including all the multiple OCC manufacturers in the Far East?

I miss having phở with you, Hugh! When you coming to Brooklyn, again?

Cheers,
Pete
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio

DaveC

« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2014, 07:45:47 AM »

Furthermore, unless I want to get into the cable business, even I can't specify to the factory what/how I want my cables to be made for a limited run. ;)

Sure you can, as long as you need about 1000 meters I don't see an issue!  :rofl:

I look forward to checking out your new speaker too!  :thumb:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 07:47:34 AM by DaveC »

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2014, 11:21:29 AM »

Sure you can, as long as you need about 1000 meters I don't see an issue!  :rofl:

Wow, That would make a whole boatload of preamps!  :shock:  :lol:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Hugh

• Angel City Audio
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2014, 12:49:59 PM »
Thanks Dave.

I look forward to checking out your new speaker too!  :thumb:
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio

Offline Hugh

• Angel City Audio
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2014, 12:50:16 PM »
Hahaha

Wow, That would make a whole boatload of preamps!  :shock:  :lol:
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2014, 09:28:59 AM »
Ok So here it is:

The Cabledyne speaker cables are beautifuuly made. Somewhat thinner than I expected and very user friendly.
The SQ was detailed & clean on the hi end, more pronounced bass than I expected but NOT bloated. However the sound was forward, can be a bit too much.

My current cable is MIT MusicHose 750. It was not as clean and detailed but very close. Leaner in the bass but not thin sounding either. The biggie here is that the MIT sounded more relaxed, more condusive to longer listening sessions, lower fatigue.
In the end I returned the Cabledyne, only becuase it wasn't better than my current cable. If I had nothing to compare to I probably would have ended up keeping it. I really wanted it to make an improvement so my search continues but I am doubtful of finding anything.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline Hugh

• Angel City Audio
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2014, 09:51:08 AM »
Exactly, you would not know how good/bad your existing cables are until/unless you can compare them side by side with others.

As far as my own experience is concerned; there are MG Audio, Triode Wire Labs, & Skogrand speaker cables to be considered.
Ok So here it is:

The Cabledyne speaker cables are beautifuuly made. Somewhat thinner than I expected and very user friendly.
The SQ was detailed & clean on the hi end, more pronounced bass than I expected but NOT bloated. However the sound was forward, can be a bit too much.

My current cable is MIT MusicHose 750. It was not as clean and detailed but very close. Leaner in the bass but not thin sounding either. The biggie here is that the MIT sounded more relaxed, more condusive to longer listening sessions, lower fatigue.
In the end I returned the Cabledyne, only becuase it wasn't better than my current cable. If I had nothing to compare to I probably would have ended up keeping it. I really wanted it to make an improvement so my search continues but I am doubtful of finding anything.
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio

Offline mjalazard

« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2014, 09:22:55 PM »
Signal Cable makes a range of excellent cables for reasonable prices.
When I sent them my stereo system information, they suggested their middle of the road cable, and did not push the higher priced Silver Resolution speaker cable.  I am very happy with their products and reliability.
Mike

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2014, 07:05:50 AM »
Welcome to AN Mike!

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2014, 08:59:24 AM »
Exactly, you would not know how good/bad your existing cables are until/unless you can compare them side by side with others.

As far as my own experience is concerned; there are MG Audio, Triode Wire Labs, & Skogrand speaker cables to be considered.

Exactly Hugh. You could use a wire hanger (insulated) as speaker cable and it would sound fine until you do a side by side with another cable. I used Jon Risch's 89249 cross connect for years and loved it, even when putting it up against several well liked branded cables. Then I took advantage of TWL's 30 day trial offer and that bested my old stand-by's (finally).

I've since put those up against some other well ragarded cables and I am definitely keeping the TWL's.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline Hugh

• Angel City Audio
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2014, 01:28:48 PM »
Good for you Bob.

Furthermore, as long as I've been in this business, there is still new thing to learn as I go along.

Previously, I thought there is only one cable out there that can better my own personal custom made cables, those were XLOs, until my recent experience at CAS in SFO. :)

Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2014, 04:41:03 PM »
I saw a cable on Agon today selling for nearly $21,000 for an 8 ft pair. Apparently this was a "good" price because new it sold for $36,000!!!! :shock:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 06:21:48 PM by jimbones »
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2014, 05:15:06 PM »
I second the TWL speaker cables.
They bested some Morrow and Clear day cables I had.
 Give them plenty of time to burn in.
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube