Author Topic: Subwoofer Newbie Dumb Questions...  (Read 10060 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Re: Subwoofer Newbie Dumb Questions...
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 09:51:47 AM »
"Oversize cat scratching post!"  :rofl:

Well, Jim.  At least I know you really do read my posts!  :lol:  

I couldn't resist using that description for two reasons; first being that the damned thing does look like a cat scratching post, secondly my daughter's cat (my 4-legged Grand-daughter) welcomed it in the house by immediately assuming it was a gift for her and decided to take it out for a "test drive"!!!

The only picture I have here (see attached below) is her in our fridge doing her best "grocery impersonation" !!!  

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

SN

Well this only means one thing, the first song you must play after getting these puppies, err kittens set up is Cat Scrath Fever by Ted Nugent.  :thumb:
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 10:33:03 AM »
The amp controls are very limited, the sub is intended for HT, as is Bass Optimizer.

Keep the main speaker ports open, set the sub amp crossover switch to the lower freq, set the polarity to 0. Adjust the volume to taste on the amp. I would ditch the bass optimizer for music.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 11:55:53 AM »
Well this only means one thing, the first song you must play after getting these puppies, err kittens set up is Cat Scratch Fever by Ted Nugent.  :thumb:

Nice one, Jim!  :thumb:
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 11:57:29 AM »
The amp controls are very limited, the sub is intended for HT, as is Bass Optimizer.

Keep the main speaker ports open, set the sub amp crossover switch to the lower freq, set the polarity to 0. Adjust the volume to taste on the amp. I would ditch the bass optimizer for music.

Professor Richidoo does it again!  Thanks, Rich. :)

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 07:46:06 AM »

Hmmm, do you also go by the moniker "Handlebar Bill" ?

Professor Richidoo does it again!  Thanks, Rich. :)
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 01:33:41 PM »

No, Jim... but it does fit!  :)

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline bhobba

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 05:49:25 PM »
One thing I forgot to mention is the critical issue in my experience with sub integration for music listening is the slope of its filter.

I got a Martin Logan Depth I and had it delivered down to Mike Lenehans to check out.  He has Clio and all sorts of measuring equipment and set it up to be dead flat in his room.  Its a very good subwoofer and very fast and musical.  Just a comment about speed here - obviously a subwoofer cant be fast but that the impression it gives due to absence of cabinet resonance from its design and that its servo controlled.

We sat down to do some critical listening with some material that actually would exercise the sub with the speakers being used that were flat to 35hz.  Its not easy to find but it does exist.  I personally preferred it with the sub engaged but what we noticed was on some material it created some blurring.  On one track with it engaged you could easily hear the low notes on an organ but some tambourines were blurred with it engaged. 

I asked Mike why that was.  The answer is the Martin Logan used an 18db per octave crossover but the speakers being ported were 24db so did not crossover smoothly.  It was set up to be flat frequency wise but because the slopes did not match it went a bit higher than it should and you could hear stuff from two sources that did not mesh properly.

Its very important to have matching slopes.

Mike actually clobbered together some subs for a customer that was designed to do 24db per octave.  Now they were nowhere near as advanced as the ML but evidently they worked better with music.

Thanks
Bill

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 09:16:08 AM »

No, Jim... but it does fit!  :)

You ARE Handlebar Bill, you just don't know it!

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 09:25:06 AM »

No, Jim... but it does fit!  :)

You ARE Handlebar Bill, you just don't know it!

On "bad hair" days, I'm more like Yosemite Sam!!!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2013, 11:22:14 AM »
  He needs a barber shop quartet to join."She'll be coming around the mountain, she will be coming around the mountain when she comes ".

She's coming oh my !! :shock:

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2013, 12:54:31 PM »
Finally got a second blown AV123 10" sub, once I drop in a new amp I'll start to setup and integrate them for stereo subs.

I never considered slope matching?!?

Is there a white paper that discusses it?

One thing I forgot to mention is the critical issue in my experience with sub integration for music listening is the slope of its filter.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline bhobba

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2013, 08:01:16 PM »
I never considered slope matching?!?

Is there a white paper that discusses it?

Don't know of any.

Its simple though - if your main speakers are ported use a 24db per octave slope - if they are sealed use 12db per otive.  Most however don't allow you to choose so you may be 'screwed'.

Thanks
Bill