Author Topic: EMF, VLF meter  (Read 3602 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
EMF, VLF meter
« on: June 20, 2007, 11:16:09 PM »
As some of you may be aware, I have an SB 2 direct into my CIA D200 amps. The sound is pretty darn good. The best I've had to date, but I do have a complaint of some harshness (sibilance) that is a bit frustrating to resolve. Today, I found an ELF/VLF meter from Safe Technologies that I bought years ago. At the time (in the early 90's) I had way more harshness problems than I have now. So I bought this meter and my amps (probably the tube VAC 90's) measured very high (probably in the 90's) on the EMF scale. I then switched cables and also used Audioprism Quiet Lines to "tame the beast". Today I measured the amps, SB 2 and SB 2 Aberdeen power supply and all measured very low (<1.00) on both the EMF and VLF scales. Was wondering if anyone else had used such a meter and their opinion of it?
Nick   
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: EMF, VLF meter
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 06:13:41 AM »
Nick,
            Are you using a Guass meter. Very revealing device. Did your sibilance go away?

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 03:11:23 PM »
Nick,
            Are you using a Guass meter. Very revealing device. Did your sibilance go away?

rollo

Rollo
I really don't know if it could be considered a gauss meter. It's a little plastic box that provides a digital readout. The sibilance is better, but really because I bought 3 Black Sand Silver Reference MKV cords. That improved things very much. I think my D200's are just a bit harsh. That's something I'll be working on in the coming months.
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 08:02:00 AM »
Nick,
        Do you find the Black Sand cords roll off the top a bit? They are very smooth, maybe even soft. However the main factor is the synergy with your components. Every cord sounds different in my experience. IMO the shielding schemes seem to be the determining factor, not so much the wire itself. Winding methods as well have a great affect on controlling the nasties.
      When a power cord is designed properly you will hear more information as the noise is lowered or eliminated. Micro and Macro dynamics will improve as well as imaging, soundstage and a better focused bass.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 09:01:05 AM »
rollo
I don't think the top is rolled off. However, if I had other very good cords to compare to, I might be able to give you a more definitive answer. The BS SR MKV is the first excellent cord I've owned. (I tried 5 or 6 others over the last 10 years). I'd love to try cords from lessloss, JPS, Acrolink, Oyaide etc, but don't have the cash to do so. It would be interesting to actually see what materials each cord uses and how they are put together
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS