Author Topic: Art Ludwig's Sound Page  (Read 3217 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Art Ludwig's Sound Page
« on: August 03, 2007, 07:13:47 AM »
Something to read when you're bored.
http://www.silcom.com/~aludwig/

Good stuff, technical but practical look at acoustics, music, hearing, etc. Art's bio.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Art Ludwig's Sound Page
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 06:59:34 AM »
richadoo,

Great post. Very informative. A must read for everyone. Da room ,Da room, Da room. When your room is right everything is right. Even Mid-Fi sounds very good.
     Every penny spent on room treatment done correctly will save you lots of money chasing the Holy Grail in component selection.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Art Ludwig's Sound Page
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 08:43:18 AM »
richadoo,

Great post. Very informative. A must read for everyone. Da room ,Da room, Da room. When your room is right everything is right. Even Mid-Fi sounds very good.
     Every penny spent on room treatment done correctly will save you lots of money chasing the Holy Grail in component selection.

rollo

Well said rollo. I'm hoping you're right about mid fi sounding good. ;) Imagine cashing in on all this high end crap and staying happy with the sound! hehe - just kiddin.

The ear buds I got from Tyler (biglou) are sounding awesome now that I've learned to turn the volume down into the sweet spot of my mp3 players amp. They are lower resolution than my speakers but no room interference at all makes it sound pretty damn good, and the tonal problems from a .05" "woofer" are a fair trade off. So does that mean no room acoustics is good acoustics? That's kinda what Bryan has been trying to knock into my head for 6 months, but I was smitten by the "romance of the room." Sounds good on organ music, but not much else. I think I am starting to see the light.

Using the ear buds and thinking about acoustics at the same time forces me to ask the question, "Is warm flesh (like ear canal) the best wall material for acoustics?"  That might make a fun room treatment! ;) 

I'm gonna try to set up a quasi-anechoic situation today with a pile of FG panels or blankets and pillows or something, just to hear small speakers with no room interaction. I'll post a picture if it's funny enough.

FYI, AN member Hantra is selling a boatload of 8th Nerve Adapts, listed on AC. They work good.
Rich