Author Topic: Tweakdom  (Read 20396 times)

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
Re: Tweakdom
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2013, 07:34:41 AM »
On the subject of covers ... I for one don;t want anything falling into my components, so I leave the covers on. However I have found it helpful to run a strip of black electrical tape on the inside surface where the cover rests. It does dampen it a bit and the screws continue to offer grounding. Then there's various forms of iso damp sticky stuff to be applied to the inside of the lid if needed.

Can understand however one can cover with a cloth of some kind when listening is over.
   So far the most affective material used for damping the top cover is lining the perimeter of the top plate with thin Balsa wood. Try it and report back.

charles

Sounds like "kindling" for a hot running tube amp!   ;)
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2013, 11:25:59 AM »
 Nope.  No worry. It is used for perimeter only meaning about a 1/2 " in width. attached to the underside of the top cover. No issues should be had.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2013, 07:29:09 AM »
  Found another killer tweak. The Maggie 3As have compressed wool felt approx. 1/16 of a inch thick surrounding the tweeter. No longer in use removed felt for future use.
    Was listening to the Soundfields and thought what about surrounding the tweeter/mid coaxial with the felt.
     Wow, better definition no ringing, more detail and crazy decay of notes. This tweak definitely brought the Soundfields up a few notches. Removed them and a minute later right back on.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2013, 09:33:43 AM »
Got this from MGA. Audio gear comes shipped to the consumer with everything screwd down to tight, good for shipping but bad for playback. Get the piece home and loosen the screws holding down the transformers and pcb boards (especially on digital).  Loosen every screw, it adjusts the tension of the soundstage.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2013, 01:52:34 PM »
  Found another killer tweak. The Maggie 3As have compressed wool felt approx. 1/16 of a inch thick surrounding the tweeter. No longer in use removed felt for future use.
    Was listening to the Soundfields and thought what about surrounding the tweeter/mid coaxial with the felt.
     Wow, better definition no ringing, more detail and crazy decay of notes. This tweak definitely brought the Soundfields up a few notches. Removed them and a minute later right back on.   
charles

Hi Charles

Do you mean something like this with what was done with Dunlavy speakers in the past?

I can't find the ad but there was a seller on Audio Asylum Trader that was selling felt pads for tweeters but I can't find the link.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2013, 05:45:20 PM »
Jim Goulding sells "Defraction Be Gone" felt tweeter pads. Find him on AC, or

http://www.diffractionbegone.com/

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2013, 06:07:45 AM »
  Yes sir just like that. Jim makes a good product but so can you. Just google compressed wool felt.

charles

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2013, 07:52:23 AM »
Got this from MGA. Audio gear comes shipped to the consumer with everything screwed down to tight, good for shipping but bad for playback. Get the piece home and loosen the screws holding down the transformers and pcb boards (especially on digital).  Loosen every screw, it adjusts the tension of the soundstage.

Michael Green is a big advocate of loosening the screws. I have always wondered if a specific torque would make a difference.
    Just what our Nervosa needs hey more shit to play with. Still going to try it though. :thumb:

charles

Offline Werd

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »
Got this from MGA. Audio gear comes shipped to the consumer with everything screwed down to tight, good for shipping but bad for playback. Get the piece home and loosen the screws holding down the transformers and pcb boards (especially on digital).  Loosen every screw, it adjusts the tension of the soundstage.

Michael Green is a big advocate of loosening the screws. I have always wondered if a specific torque would make a difference.
    Just what our Nervosa needs hey more shit to play with. Still going to try it though. :thumb:

charles

He wants the electronics right out of the chassis ultimately. I have to agree but it is totally unrealistic in a household.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Werd

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2013, 12:39:28 PM »
I have everything loosened up. I can adjust the tension on my amp outlet screws with an immediate difference. Akin to using tone controls but adjusting tension. Tighten the screws offers more crisp highs while loosening them more organic sense.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2013, 09:04:30 AM »
    Well finally got around to loosening some screws to go along with my missing screws  :rofl: Cool stuff. Biggest change/improvement from preamp circuit board.

charles

Offline Werd

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2013, 04:05:03 PM »
Did you try loosening the screws attaching the tweeter?  Also the transformer screws on a dac. I liked the pre amp screws too. I have only tried it with a passive but the screws dedicated to holding the volume control relaxed the tension.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 08:42:06 PM by Werd »
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2013, 07:46:05 AM »
Did you try loosening the screws attaching the tweeter?  Also the transformer screws on a dac. I liked the pre amp screws too. I have only tried it with a passive but the screws dedicated to holding the volume control relaxed the tension.

OK loosened all the tweeter screws and then retightened to have  firm fit. To my surprise the top just became more natural. Added more decay of notes producing harmonice not heard before.
   Good one Werd.

charles

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2013, 08:15:13 AM »
Saw someone trying the following with Maggies. They took 1" foam pipe insulation, the kind you get from Home Depot to wrap around your heating pipes. They slid it over the side edges of the panels and said it did wonders for the imaging. Could work, adding a rounded edge to the panels. Maybe even help stiffen them up a bit. Who knows.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2013, 12:27:30 PM »
I ordered mine from Grainger and it was really cheap and good quality. Comes in different thicknesses, densities and colors.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata