Author Topic: Digital Source Choices...???  (Read 18707 times)

Offline bhobba

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Digital Source Choices...???
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2012, 04:29:05 PM »
   Tonight we will compare the PDX DAC to a Plinius 101 CDP. The Plinius lists for $5400. The PDX  DAC with Dueland VSF output caps and volume control with internal M2Tech OEM board is $4400.
    A Mac laptop with PIAudio powercord, and custom USB cable. DAC and CDP powered with Triode Wire Labs.
     Should prove interesting. We will try  running DAC direct to amps and then through a Miracle Audio Preamp to Arion  HS 500 amps. Speakers used will be Lenehan Audio ML-1 and Pipedreams.
   Will report our findings.

Wow -  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Really love to hear the results of that one.

Just got a Playback Designs MPD 3 and obviously compared it to all my DAC's including the PDX with some acquaintances.  Nice DAC but everyone felt the PDX was better although the MPD 3 did respond very well to upsampling and it was closer when upsampled to 384k - but the PDX still had the edge - greater 'life'.

However the PD evidently sounds amazing with DSD and using that it may have the edge - we will see.

I think I need to do a separate post about that especially once I check it out further.

Another surprise was the NAD C390DD - frikken awesome - some felt it was better than the PD and Mac 501's - unbelievable value.

Thanks
Bill

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2012, 07:43:41 AM »
What software is running on the Mac?

Apparently this makes as much difference as any other part of the chain.

Can we say Variables, boys and girls?

Sounds like a good time, looking forward to the impressions.

-Mike

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2012, 07:34:01 AM »
  The OS is Snowleopard. A 2010 Mac. Used an hardrive connected with Firewire. A Larry Moore design USB cable. Standard power supply and battery were tried.
  Have been using the Plinius CDP instead of the Lector as the Lector bit the dust recently. The Plinius is less colored than the Lector. Lector uses 12AT7 Telefunken tubes. Creates a huge soudstage and gives all the emotional impact one would desire.
  The Plinius is a dedicated redbook player. No up sampling no DSP nada. Straight unadulterated redbook.
  Paul L. brought over his Mac laptop and cabling played all high rez vinyl ripped to the computer.
  We compared the Clapton unplugged CD on the Plinius to the hi rez through the PDZ. . To my ears much more clarity, separation of instruments and killer bass. Claptons voice as well as his tapping his foot was more defined. Just more dimension. We removed the Miracle Audio preamp and ran the PDX straight. It was a mixed bag. Even more clarity, however a tad lighter in weight.
    What impressed me the most with the PDX was the top end. The culprit of digital. Vocal sibilants were delivered naturally, no hype no sizzle no spotlighting. Just pure treble with ZERO artifacts. Vocals were more intelligible The emotion of the players came through in spades. Goosebumps actually.
   Overall however we preferred the preamp over the PDX,s volume pot running direct. Although the clarity is addictive the weight was lacking a bit. Not that it sounded lean but in comparison it did.
   Overall he Mac and PDX delivered the most real to life presentation. Fast, accurate and dynamic as heck.
    If I only had the Plinius without hearing the PDX life would be great. The PDX showed me what is capable with computer Audio. There is no turning back now.
   My only reservation overall was the weight of the presentation. The brute force that a preamp provides was MIA when using the volume control direct. But but the information provided through the PDX was astounding. Heard more of the inflections that remind our brains of the real deal. So I guess it is a personal subjective thing for me. It may be coloration more listening will confirm my impression.
    The Jury is still out using a Pre or not. As a standalone DAC from the Puter running through a preamp a winner in every respect. I believe the advantage of high rez was the edge over the Plinius and Lector CDPs. With standard redbook it was a close call. It boiled down to personal preference not sonics. I could live with all three.
   If I had to take one to a desert island it would be the PDX hands down.
    Yes we are working out a dealer agreement. We were that impressed.

charles  
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 07:35:45 AM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline bhobba

« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2012, 02:55:11 PM »
Hi Charles

Yea with hi res and in retrieving extra detail the PDX with USB does shine.  What I have found however with that DAC is the version without the volume pot going direct to your amps is a bit better and is how I use it. 

Thanks
Bill

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2012, 08:08:46 AM »
Hi Charles

Yea with hi res and in retrieving extra detail the PDX with USB does shine.  What I have found however with that DAC is the version without the volume pot going direct to your amps is a bit better and is how I use it. 

Thanks
Bill

Hey Bill,
                 How do you control the volume then ? Not a fan of passive volume controls. To my ears always thin sounding. The only exception are the transformer based TVCs.
    An active preamp has always provided the weight and impact of the music more than any passive I have  tried Bent, Stevens & Billington, Promithius, Mapleshade and a DIY with S&B trannies. Have not tried the Lightspeed yet. All had exceptional clarity and detail , however were missing the gestalt of the music. We heard more info but lacking in emotional impact as compared directly to a tubed active preamp. The active may be colored compared to the passive however colored as in real life. Which is subjective to the listener.
    It would be a good test to revisit the passives against the active now that I;m using different amps and speakers.
  Awaiting Lenehan ML-2Rs as we speak. Hopefully this week.

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline machinehead

• Affordable Web Design & Development
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2012, 01:35:57 PM »
Sounds great, can't wait to hear the PDX at Emils.
M
Its cool ndude.

Offline bhobba

« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2012, 02:58:09 PM »
How do you control the volume then ? Not a fan of passive volume controls. To my ears always thin sounding. The only exception are the transformer based TVCs.

You use the volume control in the player on the computer such as Bit Perfect (which right now seems to be the most transparent) or Audirvana Plus (slightly less transparent but can handle more formats and DSD).

These volume controls use dithering which without going into the technical details is better than any kind of electronic volume control.

With regard to the PDX, since the designer Clay hand builds each one, he will adjust the I/V resistor to match your amp so you use the smallest amount of volume reduction which theoretically should be better but I have found makes zero audible difference.

You are correct about pre-amps - who gives a damn if they colour sound providing it sounds better and to you is more realistic.  Personally I prefer direct connecting - it has more life, greater dynamics, and a less veiled sound to my ears but that's me.   Most people who have checked it out with me prefer it that way as well.  It certainly is worth a try to see what you think.

Not a fan of the Lightspeed.  I know if the guy who makes them out here in Aus, George, reads this, watch out for the sparks flying, but to me it sounds dull compared to direct connecting, and a number of my acquaintances agree. 

Yea my ML2-R's are nearing completion as well.  My friend in Canberra picked up the special stands and man are they over the top - each stand weighs over 53kgs but another audiophile buddy who heard them said they make the ML2's sound like they were bolted to a granite mountain.  Trouble is weighing so much normal shipping methods cost a bomb.   

Thanks
Bill