Author Topic: G2G in March?  (Read 23349 times)

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: G2G in March?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 03:05:37 PM »
so we're good to go for this weekend??  Times?  Can you PM address so we can mapquest / GPS / etc. it?

What's on tap for theme?  want any gear or is it just a get together and drink a few beverages and catch up now that you've come out of hibernating?  Want to get some opinions on what to do with the room, etc?
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline stereofool

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 04:31:22 PM »
Tim,

I'm with Shane...are we on for March 3...what time?

Could you PM me your address?

Hope to see you guys Saturday  :D!
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

djdube525

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 03:12:40 AM »
Hi Tim,

If you still have room, I'd like to swing by for a couple of hours. Need any beverages or food?

Dave

Offline Inscrutable

• Certifiable
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 01:11:32 AM »
Sorry for the delay guys ... it's been one of those weeks, and still going ...

Sure, we are good for Saturday. Sounds like most folks were available late afternoon/early evening, so maybe start at 2-3 or so, and we can go into the mid-evening to accommodate later arrivals?

I am good with the gamut from a strictly social event to any kind of gear that is here or schleppable over.

I would really love to hear the econowaves if they happen to be operational that soon, but I am sure that is an extreme long shot.

I am in process of thinning the herd and building back up the theater first, and then the music system again. So what I will have available for the audio chain is:
Digital: Oppo BDP-80 or SB into either modded LiteDacAh or Denon 4310ci
Analog: MMF-7/Eroica into Cambridge 640P
Amp: Adcom GFA-7500 or EE Minimax
Mains; Trusty old NHT 3.3's (sorry Shane), or play with the little Pioneer 41's

So you can use that as your basis for what gear or media/format to bring if you wish, or nothing at all. I have found that inserting the bar into the audio chain makes all this stuff sound much better.

For food and drink, I will have assorted beers and sodas, munchies, and I had intended to throw something on the smoker ... but now calling for rain so that may have to change.  Again, if there's anything special/different you'd like to bring or not, fine either way.  Do we have any vegetarians in the house, or are we all carnivores or at least omnivores?

I will PM those who've responded so far, all you other slackers please shoot me an email or PM for address/directions.

Questions, comments, suggestions welcome.  Look forward to seeing you all again!

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 09:35:51 AM »
Ewaves not ready yet.

Offline Inscrutable

• Certifiable
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 01:10:51 PM »
Yes, figured very very long shot, plus not easily schleppable especially if it is pouring rain. Will look forward to the debut at your place.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 05:12:39 PM »
Slacker checking in... I plan to be there so as long as nothing crazy comes up, I'll see you in the afternoon.  Would definitely be nice to catch up.  I just need to make sure the stars are appropriately aligned.... so far, they are.
Thanks for hosting, Tim! :)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Inscrutable

• Certifiable
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2012, 04:46:40 PM »
Dave,
Assume you already got the drift, but to be sure there's always room for more!

Carl,
Great! Really hope you can make it.

Say, would anyone happen to have an extra pair of speaker stands for the day? I've been breaking in those little Pioneers, and frankly pleasantly surprised and thinking they deserve to be positioned better for a listen.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2012, 05:42:46 PM »
I have an extra pair you can use... black, 26" I think.
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2012, 09:53:30 AM »
ok.... as of right now, all systems are go that I can attend...  I will be later in the afternoon though because of a commitment in the early afternoon...

I'll bring a couple AMR pieces to play with... it might make the NHT's tweeter a bit more tolerable ;)  Who knows... I've noticed that my hearing is *thankfully* starting to drop off a bit... I might even be in heaven giving them a listen again...........  or not ;) hehehehe

I also have a pair of Sanus Ultimate Foundation stands I could bring.. they are 26 inchers as well... smaller top plate than the ones Carl has if that matters at all to you... I'm fine either way to bring them or not :)

looking forward to seeing you (and everyone else) and getting to catch up... it's been too long!
Shane Sangster

djdube525

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2012, 12:14:39 PM »
Dave,
Assume you already got the drift, but to be sure there's always room for more!

Thanks! Quick Question for you... it looks like you have a Squeezebox somewhere in the chain... are you able to play flac files? Trying to decide whether to bring a USB stick/DVD/SD Card or a bunch of CDs.

Also... out of curiosity... any IPA fans out there?

Dave

Offline Inscrutable

• Certifiable
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2012, 02:45:39 PM »
For sure the weakest link in the chain now is the (lack of) preamp.  The 4310 is ok, but I wanted it for the multichannel Audyssey, not analog or 2-ch. Miss the Plinius ...  So, if anyone is tremendously kind and motivated and wants to bring a preamp, it will be cheerfully welcomed.

Shane, the hearing rolloff is not only a good thing for audio tolerance, but maybe will take the edge off the 2am feeding frenzy crying too  :cry: 

WRT the stands, the Pioneers base is about 8w x 9d, so judge accordingly.  Sitting atop the 3.3's now, and a bit too tall for the 2nd row seats.

Dave, yes running an SB Classic and could accomodate digital files on the server downstairs. Running all uncompressed WAV files right now, but I am sure you me or someone can get the FLAC files recognized and playing. Can accomodate those and CD, SACD, DVD-A, vinyl, cassette, could borrow an open reel, probably even have an old deaf friend with an 8-track.

And yes, I am sure there will be at least one IPAddict here. Right now I think I have some Killians, Landshark, Yuengling, Amstel, probably some frou-frou leftovers from company.  Meant to get some Smithwycks and forgot.

BTW, I will start it on the DVR, but will probably switch on the Duke-Carolina game by about 8 (thinking tip is about 7:10?) if no one objects and we're not engrossed in something audio.

I didn't get any responses on the carnivore thing ... suffice to say this menu won't be on the American College of Cardiology's top ten list (unless one of them needs to fund a new boat). I'll have pork and chicken on the smoker, baked beans, chips, pretzels, beer, soda. Anything else you feel like is fine.

gotta run, more later ...

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2012, 03:36:30 PM »
the AMR amps are integrateds.... so covered there... plus the AMR DAC can be run as DAC and preamp as well... only 2V out... but can be used as preamp function including volume control... so we should be good on that front at least from my end when I get there...

I likely won't make it until near suppertime though.... everything you are having for food sounds awesome...

sounds like Carl's stands should work then... I'll let him take his over if he's still up for it... less stuff for me to forget and better chance of fitting everything in the truck easily for the drive :)
Shane Sangster

Offline Inscrutable

• Certifiable
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2012, 03:23:03 AM »
Thanks so much Shane ... that sounds great.

Now, if I can catch just a LITTLE break with this damn rain ...

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2012, 05:16:03 PM »
Just got home, it was a great time. Thanks to Tim and his wife for opening their house to us wayward audiophiles.

I enjoyed listening to your system Tim. The NHT speakers are sweet. I like the very transparent upper mids. Delicious spicy BBQ and billiards, very fun!

Great to meet jianghai in person!