Author Topic: Van Halen with Roth Cafe Wha  (Read 3522 times)

evan1

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Van Halen with Roth Cafe Wha
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 06:32:34 PM »
There's something about an old Jewish guy in overalls that says "Rock and Roll."

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 07:35:30 PM »
Fixed...
There's something about an old Jewish guy in overalls that says "Rock and Roll."

Often, when I see these old "Hard Rock/Metal" groups performing I say to myself "What are they thinking?" :duh but  I realize they're thinking $$$$ all the way to the bank. IMHO David Lee Roth, is the only real "Van Halen" vocalist. With others filling that slot, it just wasn't "Van Halen".
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 07:45:13 PM »
Hey, back in the old days concert tours were underwritten by the record companies as a way to increase record sales. Few made money on their own and the ones that just barley broke even were considered very successful. I can remember getting $12 Jethro Tull tickets in the 200 section of Nassau Coliseum because we weren't willing to spring for the $16 it would have cost for floor seats. Now those floor seats are two and three hundred dollars each and concert tours are raking in big bucks for the performers. It is certainly a different world from when these old-timers first hit the road.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 08:14:08 PM »
Hey, back in the old days concert tours were underwritten by the record companies as a way to increase record sales. Few made money on their own and the ones that just barley broke even were considered very successful. I can remember getting $12 Jethro Tull tickets in the 200 section of Nassau Coliseum because we weren't willing to spring for the $16 it would have cost for floor seats. Now those floor seats are two and three hundred dollars each and concert tours are raking in big bucks for the performers. It is certainly a different world from when these old-timers first hit the road.

Agreed and understood.
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline Putz

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 09:46:55 PM »
I think you overpaid Tom. Yes was the opening act for Tull that nite. For Bruce we sat at the table right in front of the stage. Drinks and Food service during the show. The one annoying thing was before scanner and barcodes, they had to rip the ticket in half and I always asked them for the big piece back. Sometimes they oblidged, sometimes I got the little piece back and a dirty look.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 11:00:32 PM »
I think you overpaid Tom.

Oh, I don't know Paul. The Tull concert I went to was part of the Passion Play tour, which puts it about 2 1/2 years later than your show and for $12 I got seats that about stage high on the left side in the front 25% of the arena. Not $3.50, but not to shabby considering what I got. But the point of the pist is still the same, concerts are no longer loss leader promotions, they are now a big business in and of themselves. It is just a totally different business model.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Putz

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 11:39:16 PM »
Fully agree with you Tom. But the model started evolving 40 years ago. Prices tripled from $4 bucks to $12 way back when and never stopped increasing throughout the years.

And it wasn't a name act who commanded more money. Most venues back then (Fillmore, Capitol, MSG) had a set rate for their shows regardless of who was playing that nite. Fillmore use to have 3 bands per show and an early show and a late show most nites.

I think the main reason why seats down front cost so much today is due to scalpers. Bands saw the good seats getting marked up by resellers and decided to cut out the middleman and make the markup themselves. Can't argue with that as I'd rather see the artist rewarded vs. the broker.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 11:48:30 PM »
Nothing more than basic supply and demand. The tickets cost as much as they do because there are enough people that are willing to pay that much for them.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 05:45:06 AM »
I remember the first big concert I went to that bumped the ticket price up. Prior to this one I was paying $7,8, 9 for a show, but when Floyd did The Wall at Nassau Coliseum the ticket price was $15. Highway robbery for the time.

As I understand it there were limited shows because each one was a $ loser for the band with hugh production costs.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline Bunky

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 04:23:41 AM »
I saw Van Halen in 1980 and it was the worst live show i have ever seen.   :(
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 04:30:55 AM by Bunky »
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa