Author Topic: anyone content?  (Read 23442 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: anyone content?
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2007, 12:55:57 PM »
Once I'm finished with a system, I like to start another.. and another...  :lol:
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2007, 02:01:22 PM »
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. It is like an art form, creating a great system. You learn all you can about the possibilties, then you make your sculpture. Then when it's done you've learned more by the process and also more in the ensuing time from outside sources, and there are new developments, etc. Plenty of reasons to go it again. Then you get better and better at it and can offer help to others starting, so it snoballs into a fulfilling hobby. Like a painter who doesn't stop after one painting, or a model airplane flyer who builds another after a crash. Whoever just bought one boat? NOT! I don't think it is all about getting to the pot of gold and then just buying CDs forever more. Hifi is much more than music listening. Oooooooo - Taboo.... My Karma ran over your dogma.

miklorsmith

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2007, 02:03:47 PM »
Dude, you're not supposed to say it. 

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2007, 02:52:39 PM »
I am very content with my current system. I am keeping my eye on emerging digital technologies.
I will not turn down an improvement in my source that offers a clearer window on the performance.
Do I have anything under consideration,no but in a couple of years time who knows what will be available.
My Tuner,preamp,power amp,speakers and cabling are here to stay. For me the equipment is a means to an end, enjoying music in my home and not an end in and of itself. My train pulled into the station a while back and I am not riding the rails anymore.
Scotty

Offline richidoo

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2007, 07:20:18 PM »
My train pulled into the station a while back and I am not riding the rails anymore.
Scotty

I like that one!     I'm still a hobo looking for empty boxcars... haha

Bigfish8

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2007, 07:28:06 PM »
I in the wishing stage that somehow I can become content.  My wish list keeps getting longer instead of shorter so I don't think I will be content for a long time. :duh

Ken

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2007, 04:10:53 AM »
I've always said the thrill is in the chase.  Once get content with what you have, it's no longer thrilling.

There is something to be said , though, for contentment.  Becoming accustomed to the flaws of what you have may be more satisfying than the fleeting thrill of something new, over and over.  (Am I talking about my hi-fi or my marriage?...striking similarities).

Speaking of marriage, the wallet and wife-acceptance-factor have clipped my audio wings. When I need a dose of new equipment, I go visit Carl.

wet weasel

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2007, 11:18:17 PM »
WARNING: ADULT CONTENT
I am an adult who is, by and large, content. Yeah.
cheers ww

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2007, 05:31:28 PM »
I am very content with my current system.

My ...preamp,power amp,speakers...are here to stay. For me the equipment is a means to an end, enjoying music in my home and not an end in and of itself. My train pulled into the station a while back and I am not riding the rails anymore.
Scotty
Scotty, I pulled out of your quote what was relevant to my situation, hope you don't mind.

I also note that my dedicated listening room, TT and cart, and CDP are good 2 go as well.
  • Regarding cabling, I opted into the 2nd Grover Group buy and recently reached out to get the upgrade to SC version, so I'm open to consider changing speaker cables if the cost were modest for a substantive improvement.
  • [I thought I might consider upgrading speakers from the ones I originally purchased in 1988, but they still sound wicked good and I continue to be unimpressed about dumping out $$$ for another product that might provide but a small improvement in my overall listening satisfaction; thus, the only change I might make to my speakers would be to have all the caps changed out in a year or two - by then they'll be 20 yrs old.]
  • Regarding the mainstay power pieces of my system, I'm content with the enjoyment my mono amps provide. I found that going to monos, fed by dedicated lines, was a quantum upgrade that satisfies each and every listening session and was a brickwall to any thoughts about major upgrades. In my case, the dedicated lines' expense was under $160 and a wonderful investment; the price was a bargain from a local church community member.
  • Regarding preamps, what I have is eminently enjoyable, satisfying, and affordable. Glad it includes a nice MC section as well. (Sure, I wouldn't mind trying / hearing the latest ModWright pre and his separate vinyl piece, yet I know I won't purchase them.)
  • I also like headphone gear, esp. for my work setting, and with 3 sets of phones including a boutique cable for my Senn HD650s, a nice set of ICs, a vintage & high performing portable player, and a portable amp plus 2nd home preamp to boot, that system has been set for a while and should even be slimmed down.
  • For my basement home gym, I've got a mint vintage Fisher 800B receiver and other vintage gear. Who could ask for more?
  • Now, if we're talking minor tweaking products, I'll leave that door open for the foreseeable future. My experience has shown that a modest tweak can elevate a system to an enviable price/performance ratio. [See earlier comments above regarding dedicated lines. ;)]

Didn't think I had this much to say about the topic. I'd summarize comments about my main audio system in general, and headphone / other system's as well, that they're enjoyable and satisfying. It's as comfortable and reliable as a best long-term friend: generally real, great food for the soul, agreeable, informative, sensitive, and mostly forgiving (bad recordings, you know who you are). I've found that my audio mantra of patiently stretching my $ for the largest positive and synergistic return, within reason, has served me well and steadily brought me to the point of overall system satisfaction without killing the savings account. This and other forums are great conduits of impressions and information for which I'm thankful, and help direct me towards possible system sophisticated enhancements that meet my guidelines. There's no doubt I've invested (generally wisely) in acquiring and using various audio gear at home and work. The return, for me, is not so hard to measure - you may want to ask yourself, what's the value of a smile on your face, peace in your heart, and toes tapping in time day after day?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 01:04:40 AM by djbnh »
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Bigfish8

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2007, 01:11:17 PM »
Once I'm finished with a system, I like to start another.. and another...  :lol:

Carl:

I am afraid this might happen to me and if it does I will die from unnatural causes.  My wife will kill me!!!  :rofl:

Ken

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2007, 05:04:22 PM »
Ok, so here's another analogy.... if you find a great wine and love it enough to buy a case or two... are ya done?   Bet not....

Then there's this one... if you find a great woman and love her enough to marry her - are ya done? :yay2:

Given the two above - just where does this hobby fall?  :-k
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 05:47:22 PM by mdconnelly »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2007, 05:38:22 PM »
Deep brutha, very deep. I tried to answer, but failed miserably with embarrassing sexist, materialist, tasteless response.

So instead... I like your avatar. I just realized it is a spinnaker.   :D

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2007, 05:46:12 PM »
OK, wine and song work very well together.   And... if you're *real* lucky - you do all your tweaking in that department and settle in with the other for the long haul.  Well, at least it's worked for me now for over 24 years.

The avatar picture came from a week spent on Lake Huron a couple years back on a 40 foot sailboat.  Alas, no women or song but PLENTY of wine (well, ok, canadian beer ;-)

wet weasel

« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2007, 09:45:31 AM »
McDonnelly, in re your two questions: Yes, and Yes. Done both. Still have most of the wine and all of the wife. Contentment imo is something that benefits from practice.
Applying it to my hobby: Sure, a hot new component comes along, and I fantasize about caressing it on my rack and seeing how it excites my system. But at day's end I come back to my familiar (spouse, system) and we make bootiful moosic together.
cheers ww

Phil

« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2007, 06:27:27 PM »
I'm almost there....just...one...more....power cord.....
and then....

I don't think you should relate hifi and love/marriage, but hifi and lust.  I've often thought that the way to sell more hifi magazines is to have a centerfold of the amp of the month.  I know, I know, you would only read the review.