Author Topic: anyone content?  (Read 23311 times)

Joker

Re: anyone content?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2007, 06:08:33 AM »
Group buy for Lanacane?
      :rofl:

I think I'm pretty content now, well I would like to get a set of mono's but that's about it really. Oh yeah, still waiting for those LS9's but that's all.  Actually I would really like a nice BPT or Running Springs conditioner but you know, that's about it.

John

Wait, I would really like to upgrade my cd player...

Oh but then there's that .............................

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2007, 07:41:34 AM »
I have the RSA Haley and will compare it to the Equi=tech line of conditioners when I get a chance...

Welcome to AudioNervosa!

-Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Woodsyi

• Seeking Help
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2007, 11:55:49 AM »
I am content in one room.  But I have more rooms.  :rofl:
I am a nut.

Offline Woodsyi

• Seeking Help
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2007, 11:58:18 AM »
Rosco....
Since you are content....time to get your garden growing, and relax at night with some good tunes. Enjoy...... 8)

Chris

Are you growing what I think you are growing?  No wonder you are content!  :clap: :clap:
I am a nut.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2007, 12:19:25 PM »
Ah, but if much of the reward is in the pursuit and you take away the pursuit, do you loose the reward?   I can tell you all day long that this is all about the music and most of the time, it is.  But the nervosa part of this hobby says that there is something to this whole pursuit thing that we just love -- albeit, to some it is certainly an addiction in need of a 12 step program - you know who you are ;-)

So ask yourself this question.... do you spend more time listening to music or more time pursuing the nervosa side of this hobby (AN, AC, AA, A'gon, mags, email, buying, selling, auditioning, etc...).   Maybe 'content' means finding the right balance... :-k

Joker

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2007, 05:08:20 PM »
I have the RSA Haley and will compare it to the Equi=tech line of conditioners when I get a chance...

Welcome to AudioNervosa!

-Carl

Thanks for the welcome Carl! I will be looking forward to your comparison.

John

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2007, 08:14:45 AM »
Ah, but if much of the reward is in the pursuit and you take away the pursuit, do you loose the reward?   I can tell you all day long that this is all about the music and most of the time, it is.  But the nervosa part of this hobby says that there is something to this whole pursuit thing that we just love -- albeit, to some it is certainly an addiction in need of a 12 step program - you know who you are ;-)

So ask yourself this question.... do you spend more time listening to music or more time pursuing the nervosa side of this hobby (AN, AC, AA, A'gon, mags, email, buying, selling, auditioning, etc...).   Maybe 'content' means finding the right balance... :-k

I can relate to this astute observation. I was strung out on audio before I took a break last week. I have turned a new leaf. No more obsession. Admitting you have a problem is the first step, right? My problem is indecision and obsessing over meaningless details. Trying to judge a component without ever hearing it. It's bullshit. More fun to buy and try, dump it if no good. You gotta pay to play this game.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2007, 06:55:56 AM »
You've come to a good conclusion, Rich.  It takes a while to accept the fact that you don't know dick until you hear it.  That's why there's so much value in us gathering and getting each other's reactions to various presentations of music.  You know my ear, and the more you understand it, the better you'll gauge my reaction to new stuff... and apply it to your own decision... might be something I love is something you'd hate...

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Bigfish8

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2007, 11:25:30 AM »
Gents:

I have read all of the above posts with a lot of interest.  I jumped into the pursuit of a better sounding 2 channel system back in March, seemingly a long, long time ago.  Unfortunately, my goal of a better sounding 2 channel system has been achieved and the unfortunate part is that I am now engrossed in the quest for the ever allusive improved sound!  Yikes!!!!  I stayed in this too long!!!

Ken

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2007, 01:28:15 PM »
Ken, Hey what happened to fishing?  :lol:

It is highly contagious, because of the quest for the feeling of intimate live musical performance on demand is so tempting, and also in our case because so many nice guys working together to learn and discover makes it a social event too. The forums show us about so much new stuff that we just gotta try it and see. Deeper down the rabbit hole we gooooooooo. You seem to be very susceptible to the plague, having jumped in both feet fearless right from the start. I'm so sorry....    :lol: I can't wait to hear your rig.  It must be awesome.

I have been thinking about this "anyone content" question a lot since I took a week vacation away from the stereo and forums. I remember back to when I was a kid listening to music 10 hours a day on a ceramic cartridge record player and boom box amp. It was just as good then as it is now from musical standpoint. I was discovering new music that later became very important to me, so it was even better than it is now. Sometimes I wonder if I am in the rabbit hole looking out at the clear sky thinking, "I must be crazy! All I need is Coltrane and headphones." Even the car stereo sounds pretty good from that perspective.

But then I have a night like last night listening to Leon Fleisher's "Two Hands" solo piano album, Shubert Piano Sonata, at midnight, dead quiet, lights out, everyone asleep except the dishwasher. I can hear him breathing, singing along, chair squeaking, the mighty rumble of the Steinway low octaves and delicate whispers of his right hand. I am falling asleep, but gotta hang on til the end, so beautiful. Makes me think it's not so bad being crazy. The car radio never made me feel like this.

So last night my neighbor calls me for some help connecting his HT rig. I thought to myself, this is how it starts. A guy just wants to hear some tunes now and then, or watch a movie with his wife at home. I decided then and there to prevent him from catching audionervosa from me. Let the guy enjoy his entertainment without thinking it could be better if only... He is happy and excited to get a big LCD and HD-DVD player. Sharing his joy and anticipation will be fun. I thought about giving him some back issues of Perfect Vision, or Sound & Vision, but that will make him aware of what can be, and tempt him to taste the fruit. He has twin high school daughters. He does not need an audio obsession right now. On second thought, he is a big boy and can handle it...

Some people are very resistant. Another neighbor, close friends, used to be a wannabe audiophile, learning from magazines but listening to receiver. He had a tough month at work with all nighter software rollouts, etc. So I brought the Cary and BG speakers over there and set them up in his office for a surprise. He loved it too much, staying up late digging it. He was afraid he would fall in and need it. He asked me to take it back after a week. Funny! He is my target for corruption. He hasn't heard the Legacys yet.  :twisted:
Rich
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 02:00:52 PM by richidoo »

rosconey

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2007, 04:24:38 PM »
 8) MORE CONTENT THAN EVER  8)

lol-love the upgraded amps and new tubes :drool: :drool: :drool:

shep

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2007, 11:34:57 PM »

Yup...as a long time someone in a 12-step program, I can totally relate to this. In fact one reason I jumped out of the careening cart years ago was suddenly seeing the obsessive side and the grim endless persuit and lack of fun. As long as "we" acknowledge this darker side (speaking just for myself!) and can see the humour (and not drive other people crazy!!! some kind of contented ballance is possible. It was so interesting a few months ago when my system got fried. I had a really bad moment and then thought about priorities and how much time I was spending on Forums, and how the pattern of discontent had been reforming. I was glad for the break, to re-assess; then I met a girl...boy does that make you forget amps and cables in a hurry!

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2007, 11:13:57 AM »
The biggest problem I see is when all sounds great we feel we can squeeze that last once. Thats when it mucks up the whole deal. When it sounds good LEAVE IT ALONE Silly.
       But NOOOOOOO we do it anyway. Restrain the Nervosa and keep the mosta that you had.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

miklorsmith

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2007, 11:28:00 AM »
I'm super happy - I love my sound!  So, I go and order new speakers.  I feel confident though since they're almost what I have now.  The mantra is don't swap until the *new* gets compared to the *old* and the winner stays. 

I'm seriously looking at a new amp too.  Fun times!

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2007, 11:34:13 AM »
I'm super happy - I love my sound!  So, I go and order new speakers.  I feel confident though since they're almost what I have now.  The mantra is don't swap until the *new* gets compared to the *old* and the winner stays. 

I'm seriously looking at a new amp too.  Fun times!

Great advice. Nothing leaves until its outclassed.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.