Author Topic: epiphany? or neurosis  (Read 10532 times)

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: epiphany? or neurosis
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 01:45:50 PM »
Now I recall a bit of your amp postings...

Tube amps exhibit more distortion as you crank them up, solid state is the opposite, but digital??

I've been a fan of mass loaded transmission lines (MLTL) ever since I fell under the spell of Irving (Bud) Fried in the 70s.  By the early 80s I had a 3-way with 8 inch woofer in a 6 cu. ft. MLTL that could do 114 dB at 17 Hz (too much for home, but would make you cry for love of what it sounded like in a 20,000 cu. ft. chapel).

Currently I own the original commissioned brineacoustics FTA-2000 (a conventional MLTL houses a "mighty" Fostex F200A driver with a huge AlNiCo magnet).  I've replaced the baffle step/zobel with DEQ and had Bud Purvine himself give the drivers EnABL treatments.  These aren't the typical high efficiency but thin sounding Fostex drivers, but are 90 dB/w/m, 8 ohm, 30-20,000 Hz.  So bass is fully there but they thrive with the 100 wpc from my Channel Island Audio D-100 monoblocks.

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 04:13:40 PM »
Now I recall a bit of your amp postings...

Tube amps exhibit more distortion as you crank them up, solid state is the opposite, but digital??

I've been a fan of mass loaded transmission lines (MLTL) ever since I fell under the spell of Irving (Bud) Fried in the 70s.  By the early 80s I had a 3-way with 8 inch woofer in a 6 cu. ft. MLTL that could do 114 dB at 17 Hz (too much for home, but would make you cry for love of what it sounded like in a 20,000 cu. ft. chapel).

Currently I own the original commissioned brineacoustics FTA-2000 (a conventional MLTL houses a "mighty" Fostex F200A driver with a huge AlNiCo magnet).  I've replaced the baffle step/zobel with DEQ and had Bud Purvine himself give the drivers EnABL treatments.  These aren't the typical high efficiency but thin sounding Fostex drivers, but are 90 dB/w/m, 8 ohm, 30-20,000 Hz.  So bass is fully there but they thrive with the 100 wpc from my Channel Island Audio D-100 monoblocks.
I had Frieds, a small pair picked up when going to undergrad / working in Phila. Quality workmanship.
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Offline JLM

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 09:05:42 AM »
Frieds were reasonably well built up through the mid 80's (I'm guessing on the dates).  But as Bud got older (he never did like to run the company or build cabinets) quality got worse, especially when he sold the company.  But from what I've happened across, the new owners are trying to offer a serious product.

I still have a pair of A6's (2-way floorstanders with "line tunnel" bass loading) that I scored big time that are from that first sale of the company.  5/8 inch oak patterned MDF, with really cheap/crummy crossovers.  The guy who sold them tried to send me a schematic of an improved crossover, but we didn't communicate effectively.  I still enjoy them occasionally as a background sound system in the living room, in fact had them fired up briefly this past weekend.

Regg

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 12:16:54 PM »
I have a love/hate thing with this hobby. Whatever...I'm going to be "reasonable" and find some better cables. I was thinking of Sablon "PANATELA" but they are out of my price range. He said he has a pair of personally used ones from a certain Michael Wolff. Supposed to totally wonderful (arn't they all!) Anybody know anything about these?

Sorry about the second-hand information, but an audio buddy of mine whose ears I trust has been telling me that these Panatela cables have been nothing short of transformative in his system. Obviously I haven't heard them yet, but I'm almost hoping they aren't that good...can't really justify the cost...but I have been advised to 'believe the hype' on these. We'll see.

Once again...can't skimp out on the cables...dammit. :duh

Offline JLM

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2011, 05:38:24 PM »
Nervosa says you can't stop spending more money, but my want to retire in 5 years says differently.

Besides only my speakers cost more than $850.   :oops:

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2011, 06:01:00 PM »
Nervosa says you can't stop spending more money, but my want to retire in 5 years says differently.

Besides only my speakers cost more than $850.   :oops:

You're the smart one!!!  :thumb:
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline jbtrio

• Certifiable
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2011, 06:18:06 PM »
Mark sent the Pantela's to me for some feedback. They were very smooth with good tone, but were a little laid back sounding IMS. I liked my Gabriel Gold Reflections much better and so did a friend. The GG cost a lot more money so not a good comparsion.

They were a beta pair, maybe Mark changed them for final production. If your system is a little bright or forward sounding they would match up nicely.

Mark's power cables are very good!

Joe
VPI classic3,3d arm, Lyra Kleos SL,K&K maxxed-out phonostage,Quadratic MC-1 SUT,Mola Mola Tambaqui Dac, Jay's Audio CDT-2 Mk.3transport,Supratek Sauvignon preamp,Frankenstein 300b mk.2 amps,FW SIT-3 amp, Purepower 1500+,Horning Eufrodite Ellipse speakers

shep

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2011, 12:14:49 AM »
Thanks for the cable input. When I suggested that the Panatela's were over my budget, I was offered the following:
 "Hi Shep, as an aside I may have something else of interest to you which would fall into your budget plus also had a connection with grover. Many years ago I discovered Michael Wolff's cables initially thru his collaboration with grover and I used them happily for several years, replacing my nordost valhalla, until I developed my own Panatela. He made me a captive pair for hardwiring my preamp and this has since been replaced with Panatela and is going spare. I could build this up with cryo treated Xhadows for you if you're interested? It's the latest spec silver and gold ribbon cable with carbon fibre conductor and would run in at 350 with DHL / paypal." This sounds more reasonable but I know nothing about these either. I know...this way lies madness...any feedback would be welcome.

shep

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2011, 01:21:16 AM »
So nobody has ever heard Michael Wolf cables here? I would sure like to know what I might be getting into if I order these.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2011, 05:18:58 AM »
I've never heard of them - but I'm not a huge cable hawk either.  I tend to find something I like and stick with it.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline JLM

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2011, 04:22:35 AM »
I've been very pleased with Scott Endler's custom offerings (workmanship, price, sound).  But I'm an old school guy who will never spend 10% of my system budget on cabling.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2011, 08:52:53 AM »
  Hey Shep,
          As you have recently found there is some great sound out there and a few ways to skin the proverbial Cat.
         Cables can make a difference and tie it all together as we all know. However ya cannot dress up an ugly Duckling and make it pretty. Meaning if one of the mainstays of the system is not up to snuff say your speaker or front end then mod or replace it. The front end is solid, the amp is solid. Sooooooooo before I would spend another dime on cabling that might help consider upgrading the crossovers or drivers or both. You will get more bang for the buck for sure.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

shep

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2011, 10:26:35 AM »
Good advice from all, if a bit varied. I already did what could be reasonably be done to the X'overs and I don't think it's worth changing the drivers. That's a whole vipers nest I don't want to go into. I'll just take my chances with different cables and see what happens.