Author Topic: Learning experiences  (Read 10697 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Learning experiences
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 08:57:15 PM »
I am attracted to certain pieces by the design philosophy or aesthetics.  Yes, I want gear to sound good and I want it to look good.  Sounding great and being butt ugly doesn't get it done for me.  

Check out the new Decware amps. I can't speak first hand to how the sound, but they sure look nice.  :drool:

http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=3101.0
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2011, 04:10:10 AM »
I've become more accepting of "different" and less critical of "better"

-Mike

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2011, 05:51:59 AM »
Amen to that Mike!

I have been thru a few pieces lately and they are all different.
Better Worse? sure to a degree..in the end it is what you like..we all have our biases

sometimes different is just plain good for the soul

nothing like experience to clean the soul

Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline Bunky

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2011, 09:15:42 AM »
I am pretty happy with the way my system sounds. i like detail akin to a magnifying glass but not to the extreme of a microscope.i feel good about the way my preamp, poweramp and front end are working together and my Sonatina II's sound very nice but i want to upgrade them to something with a fuller bottom end.i am trying to put together a Rig that will satisfy me to the point that i can concentrate more on the music and much less on the system.
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

fastslappy

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 09:12:56 AM »
My audio journey has illuminated a number of topics including the following dozen:

#1) Enjoy the journey, enjoy the music, but delivery usually takes longer than promised / expected.
#2) Less can mean more - you can stretch your wallet by getting reasonably sounding gear at reasonable prices (instead of paying a ton for one piece that may be a top-of-class performer) and have $ left over to get more gear that you may want to try / need.
#3) Used gear that has been well treated can be a great bargain and wonderful way to help upgrade a system.
#4) You'll never get it right the first / second / third time.
#5) What someone else / the majority likes may not have anything to do with your own tastes.
#6) Read forum comments, both those types with which you may agree and those disparate from your own viewpoint, and be open to things you might have dismissed out of hand.
#7) Information gained in PMs may be just as or even more important than that gained in forum posts.
#8) Modestly priced tweaks can make a more than modest difference.
#9) Good electricity is critical.
#10) Non-audiophiles can be even more discerning than avowed audiophiles.
#11) There are a lot of helpful persons out there including some whom I can't thank enough.
#12) There are a lot of jerks out there including some pretty big bloated egos.

and the Baker's Dozen comment: #13) WAF matters.  :rofl:
wow great post & i agree 100% on all 13 ! I do have a comment on these items >>
#8 the hard part is separating a tweak from snake oil !  
#9 I am finding that is a big factor 
#11 I have been helped many times by people like this , I thank them all .
#12 Those people are everywhere, but seem to find a platform on the internet where they hide behind that screen of theirs.  
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 09:19:49 AM by fastslappy »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 09:59:26 AM »
   Clean power and a choke regulated power supply does wonders.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline JLM

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 04:10:06 PM »
Yes musicality (tone, palpablity, coherency) over detail. 

I've found sufficient detail from improved imaging focus (like changing glasses and finding a slightly smaller but better defined image).  And this kind of detail is non-fatiguing.

Seems like we're all tired of chasing "overcooked, artificial, hifi" sound. 

This musicality, focus, and non-hifi discovery of better sound was another epiphany I made in 1976 just as I set off trying to shop for the "high-end".

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 07:40:07 PM »
I look for musical engagement, drop all things audiophile. I want a sound that entices an emotion.
Because that emotion is there in the music.

There must be something that draws me into the music, makes me continue to listen, to learn, to understand what the composer was after. Ever have the hairs stand, the goose bumps on the arms and legs and God forbid, shed a tear? Damn I get this in my car for certain music! This is what I want in my system( and am not there yet!)

My standards have been substantially lowered as an audiophile, as a music lover they remain higher than ever. Audiophile standards may NEVER reach music lovers standards, but I remain hopeful,anything is possible!

Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2011, 09:18:10 AM »
  As you know my recent surgery has taken a toll on listening for a while.
  After not listening for about three weeks I was not prepared for what I heard. Something just was not right. Was I used to the sound before ? Before going down for the count tubes were changed in the amp [ input 6DJ8, Bugle Boys]. Sounded good to me for a few days so left them in.
  Upon returning several weeks later the thrill was gone. Installed the original 6DJ8s [ Mullard] and the sound we like returned.
  So what did we learn ??? Not listening for a while enabled us to hear a issue not noticed before. Did we get used to the sound over time ? Not sure really , ever had this experience after a vacation or a period of time away from the stereo ?

charles
SMA
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline JLM

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2011, 06:33:31 AM »
I am attracted to certain pieces by the design philosophy or aesthetics.  Yes, I want gear to sound good and I want it to look good.  Sounding great and being butt ugly doesn't get it done for me.  

Check out the new Decware amps. I can't speak first hand to how the sound, but they sure look nice.  :drool:

http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=3101.0

Decware also makes a hot looking power/integrated amp (I heard the first generation and it had palpability in spades):

http://www.decware.com/newsite/TORII.htm

Offline tybee

• Seeking Help
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2011, 05:21:21 PM »
I picked up the smaller Mini Torii to power my Tonian TL-D1 speakers earlier this year, and the combo works well together.  After some tube rolling, this little power/integrated rocks.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2011, 07:41:36 AM »
   The Decware products do look good. Love the molding concept. Made in US and priced fairly. Would like to hear one of their components.
   Back on topic. There is a lot of insecurity in our hobby. It appears to me many new and even seasoned audiophiles do not let the "new" item to really break in. To date I have yet to meet a component that did not take 200 hours to settle in.
  The one minute CD play is just not enough time. One must listen to familiar music for a while not minutes. First off the component needs to come to temp to sound its best. So just hooking it up and playing just does not cut it. Same for cabling. That 30 second blast of music is unfair to you and the new addition.
   The only person ones system should impress is yourself. But but the guys are coming over for a listen and and its gotta be perfect. Fugetaboutit If you like your sound and they do not no problem. Some Will desire more bass, detail, dynamics, imaging, sound staging etc. Fine. Individual preferences are OK but not not for all.
   If you get emotional impact from your sound that makes you want to sing or dance your in like Flynn. LEAVE IT ALONE.

charles
SMA

Offline JBryan

• Seeking Help
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2011, 04:00:25 PM »
Agreed. Sometimes the hardest thing to do is nothing but I've learned that quick decisions often bring about regret. When I change out a piece of gear, its only after plenty of research and listening (when possible) so I'm as prepared as I can be before I sit down for a listen. I accept any first impressions knowing that the 'new' piece is going to be there at least a few weeks or months before I sell whatever it may replace.

When I began climbing the audio ladder, I thought the faster I climb, the sooner I'd reach the top but after a few years and quite a few rungs, I realized that the ladder has no end and rushing only gets you nowhere faster with several near falls to show for it. Now I enjoy the ascent, with plenty of stops to appreciate where I'm at.

Most of my audio buddies have taken a similar arc but a few haven't gotten the memo as they pursue audio nirvana going through gear like water and every so often, they suffer a complete system collapse and basically must start over from scratch  - all the poorer for their efforts. I can only chalk it up to their goal being quite different from my own. They must enjoy the recipe much more than the meal but that's the nature of this hobby and I'll wager that no two people on this forum have the same system, much less listening area so 'To each his own....

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2011, 04:32:55 PM »
Jbryan, I have put a pillow on the rung I'm on and only dabble with others on ladders around me.... we're all in the clouds at this point and enjoy swingin' in the breeze in a perfect rhythm..  Good times!

I might buy a piece of equipment for the first time in over 2 or 3 years.. a DAC!  wow.  To do that, I plan to sell my TT and Tuner because I never use them... I have 2 of both anyway.. no need for so many. ;)  And that new DAC Rich built is not only technically better but more deeply connects me to the music.  I'm all about enjoying the meal!  And I think I'll move my pillow up a rung.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2011, 09:02:37 PM »
I have found that for the most part (never say never...), if something impresses me in the first 30 seconds it is generally because some aspect of the sound it sticking out relative to the others and drawing attention to itself. Generally if something draws that much attention in the short term it also tends to get tiresome and irritating over the long term.

The equipment that I see to be happiest with over the long haul  is the stuff that I like but cannot tell you why after a short listen (the goosebump factor.) This type of equipment takes much longer to evaluate and get a feel for, but I find it to be worth the effort. Part of it could be break in like Rollo said, but I think it is more ofter just the fact that it takes much longer for the listener to get settled in to the new sound and appreciate it nuances.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables