Author Topic: Really expensive CDs  (Read 7419 times)

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Really expensive CDs
« on: April 23, 2011, 02:17:50 PM »
Mini Rant on:
Lately it seems like when I have an "I really want to get this on CD" moment the price for the CD is insane, such as:

My favorite Jean-Luc Ponty disc, jazz fusion classic, "Enigmatic Oceans". I have two old beat up LP copies from high school/college. It'd be nice to have this on CD. Only $69.99. All his other stuff is there for $10-15 or so.

Another classic in my book, which I also have a rooted LP of:  U.K. "U.K."  OK, let's go buy this one on CD. Amazon price $89.98!

Miles_Gurtu - I left my copy @ Toprounds a while back and there is still a chance of getting it back but I figure for $15 it's worth it for a new copy, since this is my #1 system evaluation disc, and I love most of the music as well. OK, lets go to Amazon and order this one up.  Wow this one's only $44.99

WTF? My musical taste isn't THAT good!

Maybe Princeton Record Exchange will come through for me one of these visits...

Mini rant off

-Mike

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Really expensive CDs
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 03:27:58 PM »

I guess it IS!

I was looking for an out of print CD the other night, very surprised to see how much it cost. It was XRCD but still $30 is a bit much I think?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 03:35:48 PM by richidoo »

evan1

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 03:59:17 PM »
Mike
Try Chris at Lonewolf.com :rofl:

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 04:02:01 PM »
Mini Rant on:
Lately it seems like when I have an "I really want to get this on CD" moment the price for the CD is insane, such as:

My favorite Jean-Luc Ponty disc, jazz fusion classic, "Enigmatic Oceans". I have two old beat up LP copies from high school/college. It'd be nice to have this on CD. Only $69.99. All his other stuff is there for $10-15 or so.

Another classic in my book, which I also have a rooted LP of:  U.K. "U.K."  OK, let's go buy this one on CD. Amazon price $89.98!

Miles_Gurtu - I left my copy @ Toprounds a while back and there is still a chance of getting it back but I figure for $15 it's worth it for a new copy, since this is my #1 system evaluation disc, and I love most of the music as well. OK, lets go to Amazon and order this one up.  Wow this one's only $44.99

Maybe Princeton Record Exchange will come through for me one of these visits...

Mini rant off

-Mike

Mike you are stuck in the supply and demand dilemma of record collecting.  As long as an album is in print and stock can be gotten from the manufacturer the price stays reasonable. But as soon as the record company pulls it from the catalog you are at the mercy of whomever has copies left in their own inventory and of course they are going to go to the highest bidder.

If you are willing to take a use copy you can usually save a good bit on money on some of these out of print titles. And when you are dealing with CDs buying used is much less risky  since most surface imperfections on a CD are inaudible.

Try looking on www.getcdprices.com. They don't sell directly, but scan the web and refer you to vendors that have copies of the CD you are looking for. (They are showing Barnes & Noble as having new copies of the U.K. album for $14.26).

Then again, having t look for these discs is always a good excuse for having to make a trip to PREX.  aa
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 04:03:11 PM »
These CD's are readily available in many of our own catalogues. We can surely burn you a copy (and I promise the price will be far less than what Amazon has them listed for  :-P). Unfortunately Enigmatic Oceans and UK are on vinyl in my house. Miles Gurtu I have on disk and can definitely get you a copy (Are you coming to Pete's in May?) - that is if Mike (topround) can;t find your copy at his place.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

evan1

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 04:04:52 PM »
Mike
We can have a NY Rave Prex outing

Offline tmazz

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 04:10:53 PM »
I was looking for an out of print CD the other night, very surprised to see how much it cost. It was XRCD but still $30 is a bit much I think?

I don't know Rich. Elusive Disc is the US distributor for XRCDs and they have the new in print Blue Note XRCDs priced at $29.99, so $30 for an out of print CD may not be all that off the mark if it was a popular tile.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline richidoo

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 05:19:30 PM »
I did not click the link to see who was selling it, so it could have been Elusive. I'll check, thanks.
This isn't a Blue note.  I though JVC was giving up on the XRCDs?

eleazar

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 06:02:14 PM »
Tonight I found Harvey Mandel "The Mercury Years" a 2 CD set and they wanted $35
for it and I told CC no way

Offline tmazz

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 06:03:31 PM »
I did not click the link to see who was selling it, so it could have been Elusive. I'll check, thanks.
This isn't a Blue note.  I though JVC was giving up on the XRCDs?

From what I can gather JVC it still making them, but JVC USA gave up on distributing them in the US. That was picked up by Elusive Disc  about 4 years ago. From the ED web site:

"Elusive Disc, Inc is proud to announce its appointment as the exclusive distributor of the JVC XRCD product line for North America. When we heard JVC USA was shutting down its XRCD operations we knew something had to be done so we took over operations in November of 2006. With the help of former JVC employee Kevin Berg and our great staff, we have been able to restore XRCD operations in the USA to their previous levels and beyond."

http://www.elusivedisc.com/products.asp?dept=859

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 06:11:23 PM »
How about the MoFi Duke Ellington "Blues in Orbit" SACD? I cringed when I paid $35 for it (Great CD BTW)... now it's going for $249 new & $120 used... see here at Amazon ... http://www.amazon.com/Duke-Ellington-Blues-Orbit-MFSL/dp/B00003ZA8T

BTW, tmazz --- This is the SACD that your son Bobby correctly named the instrument played in Track 7, "Blues in Blueprint"... the bass clarinet! What a great recording... the best bass clarinet recording ever!!!
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

lonewolfny42

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 06:52:22 PM »
Tonight I found Harvey Mandel "The Mercury Years" a 2 CD set and they wanted $35
for it and I told CC no way

You have it already.... :D

Offline richidoo

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 06:58:07 PM »
Thanks Tom!  Elusive has it for $40

http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=JVCXR-0002

Turns out it was a Grammy winner and the second XRCD released.

jsaliga

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 07:06:48 PM »
How about the MoFi Duke Ellington "Blues in Orbit" SACD? I cringed when I paid $35 for it (Great CD BTW)... now it's going for $249 new & $120 used... see here at Amazon ... http://www.amazon.com/Duke-Ellington-Blues-Orbit-MFSL/dp/B00003ZA8T

That's what happens when you're late to the table.  I bought the Classic Records 45 RPM vinyl releases of Blues in Orbit and Jazz Party in Stereo after they both went out of print and they cost me a hefty $180 each.  My minty Columbia 6 Eye pressings of those titles were much less expensive.

--Jerome