Author Topic: Leonard Bernstein - The Symphony Edition -- $64.93 for 60 disc set!  (Read 9618 times)

Bigfish8

There was a notice about the Leonard Bernstein - Symphony Edition posted a week or so ago.  It is now back in stock at Overstock.com for $64.93 for the entire set.  Folks that purchased during the last sale posted very favorable comments!

Ken

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Leonard Bernstein - The Symphony Edition -- $64.93 for 60 disc set!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 11:15:24 PM »
Thanks Ken, I jumped all over that one, they won't last long at that price.   :drool:

Did you get a set for yourself. It would provide a great jump start for someone who is just starting to explore classical music.  :thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

evan1

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 12:38:32 AM »
I grabbed it the last time around.Comes in a nice package also.

Bigfish8

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 04:17:10 AM »
Thanks Ken, I jumped all over that one, they won't last long at that price.   :drool:

Did you get a set for yourself. It would provide a great jump start for someone who is just starting to explore classical music.  :thumb:

Tom:

Yes, I tried to order the set a week or so ago and they were sold out.  I had them send me an e-mail to let me know when they were back in stock. 

I figure this set will allow me to explore a lot of different composers to gain appreciation and determine those that I prefer.

Ken

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 10:12:48 AM »
I'd like to hear some of it when you get it Ken if it's decent sound quality.  I've found myself listening to a lot more classical when I listen with the Harbeth speakers... I got some decent classical stuff during past disc sales from various vendors... but I could always use more music :)
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Bigfish8

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 10:37:20 AM »
I'd like to hear some of it when you get it Ken if it's decent sound quality.  I've found myself listening to a lot more classical when I listen with the Harbeth speakers... I got some decent classical stuff during past disc sales from various vendors... but I could always use more music :)

;)

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 10:48:57 AM »
Bernstein interpretations of the classics are very accessible, popular and big sellers for Columbia / Sony over the years. Sometimes poopoo'd by classical snobs as too expressive, exaggerated, theatrical, overblown, etc.  But some of his symphonies like his Dvorak 9th and Barber Adagio for Strings are my favorite versions of all.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 11:10:32 AM »

Tom:

Yes, I tried to order the set a week or so ago and they were sold out.  I had them send me an e-mail to let me know when they were back in stock. 

I figure this set will allow me to explore a lot of different composers to gain appreciation and determine those that I prefer.

Ken

I hope you got yours because it looks like they are already sold oout again.  :(

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 11:12:27 AM »
I got some decent classical stuff during past disc sales from various vendors... but I could always use more music :)

Couldn't we all Shane, couldn't we all.  :thumb:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Bigfish8

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 03:54:51 PM »
I hope you got yours because it looks like they are already sold oout again.  Sad[/quote

Tom:

I just went to Overstock.com and checked on the status of my order.  The website indicates my order is in processing.  I am hoping!!!

Ken

Offline tmazz

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 06:05:55 AM »
I hope you got yours because it looks like they are already sold oout again.  Sad[/quote

Tom:

I just went to Overstock.com and checked on the status of my order.  The website indicates my order is in processing.  I am hoping!!!

Ken

Ken,

I just got an E-mail from overstock saying that they are unable to fill my order due to an inventory error and the issued me a refund. I am really bummed  :(

Did you get your set?

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Bigfish8

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 06:46:36 AM »

Tom:

Ken

Ken,

I just got an E-mail from overstock saying that they are unable to fill my order due to an inventory error and the issued me a refund. I am really bummed  :(

Did you get your set?

Tom:

I went on-line with Overstock.Com last night as I had not received any information concerning my order.  The Customer Service Person told me they had my order and it was in processing.  He did not tell me that they were out of stock.  This morning I received the same e-mail you received and they had credited my PayPal Account.  It is a bummer!

Ken

Offline tmazz

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 08:23:47 AM »
Ken,

Chatted with an Overstock.com customer service rep yesterday and he told me that they took orders from more sets than they had in stock. (One would think in today's world of computers it would not be all to difficult to do realtime inventory management and stop taking orders once all the stock was committed, but that is another story)

The rep said that there were more sets on the way and they would e-mail me when they came in. (We've both heard that one before  :roll:) I'm not sure why they couldn't give me the option to leave the order open as a backorder and fill the open  orders first out of the next shipment, but the won't do that. I have to keep watching the site and my e-mail and place a new order when they come in, hoping that this time my order gets processed before that shipment runs dry too. Very sloppy operation.

If they think I will be temped to buy other things during the times I keep checking back for the Bernstein set they are sadly mistaken.

About an hour after I got off the phone with the rep I got an overstock.com custom satisfaction survey in my inbox. As you can imagine I let them have it with both barrels.

If I get one of those in-stock e-mails I'll let you know

Tom

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 10:34:08 AM »
Ken,

If Overstock sends you a customer satisfaction survey be sure to fill it out and let them know how you feel. I really slammed them and they issued a $10 credit to my account to make up for the inconvenience they caused me.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 06:37:17 AM »
Well, it's now 4 months later and in spite of what I was told by the sales rep at Overstock they never got in any more stock on this Bernstein set. (A salesman lie, where is the precedent for that?  :roll:) I have never received an e-mail notification, nor has the item ever reappeared on their web site.

I guess this one is a dead issue.  :(

Not that I have the time to listen to another 60 CDs, but it would have been fun trying.  aa

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9