Author Topic: CAPS  (Read 78172 times)

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: CAPS
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2010, 04:25:54 PM »
So it sounds like you're totally against the idea of bypass caps? Sonicap Gen IIs are cheap enough that it's worth a try.

A little under $5 a pop at soniccraft

http://www.soniccraft.com/sonicap_gen_2.htm

The Candela has the Sonicaps
The Gen 2 sonicaps are a different design. on a similar note Bill Baker uses Clarity caps in his Purity Audio Design preamps and when he built my Basis Plus linestage i requested that he Bypass them with V-Cap TFTF teflon caps and i am very happy with the results of this Capacitor combination. I owned the first Candela that Klaus installed a remote volume in and I really liked the Candela.If you can find some early Amperex D-getter 7316 longplates or early Amperex D-getter 12AU7 longplates i believe they are as good as it gets as far as tube rolling in the Candela. thanks....WCW III
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

AcidJazz

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2010, 06:45:34 PM »
After hearing your pre, I would suggest bypass caps, 0.01uF, maybe Sonicap platinum? Or The Auricaps?
Using a small cap will certainly keep the costs in check.
From what I heard you need more air and fine detail...a byp[ass cap can give you that. The Sonicaps are pretty good all round caps, not a bad foundation.
Oh yeah and Sonicraft has a 20% off sale thru Nov. just leave some for me... :lol:

evan1

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2010, 07:24:32 PM »
After hearing your pre, I would suggest bypass caps, 0.01uF, maybe Sonicap platinum? Or The Auricaps?
Using a small cap will certainly keep the costs in check.
From what I heard you need more air and fine detail...a byp[ass cap can give you that. The Sonicaps are pretty good all round caps, not a bad foundation.
Oh yeah and Sonicraft has a 20% off sale thru Nov. just leave some for me... :lol:

Martin
what voltage do you suggest

evan1

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2010, 07:39:24 PM »
So it sounds like you're totally against the idea of bypass caps? Sonicap Gen IIs are cheap enough that it's worth a try.

A little under $5 a pop at soniccraft

http://www.soniccraft.com/sonicap_gen_2.htm

The Candela has the Sonicaps
The Gen 2 sonicaps are a different design. on a similar note Bill Baker uses Clarity caps in his Purity Audio Design preamps and when he built my Basis Plus linestage i requested that he Bypass them with V-Cap TFTF teflon caps and i am very happy with the results of this Capacitor combination. I owned the first Candela that Klaus installed a remote volume in and I really liked the Candela.If you can find some early Amperex D-getter 7316 longplates or early Amperex D-getter 12AU7 longplates i believe they are as good as it gets as far as tube rolling in the Candela. thanks....WCW III

I have the amperex but not the longplate. To rich for me right now.I have heard them and they are sweet sounding. As far as the bypass caps I'm just not sure which way to go. Do you suggest the ones in the link ?

AcidJazz

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2010, 10:26:13 PM »
400V should be enough for a preamp design.
Looks like Platinum is excluded from the sale at Sonicraft.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 10:29:26 PM by AcidJazz »

evan1

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2010, 12:55:41 AM »
400V should be enough for a preamp design.
Looks like Platinum is excluded from the sale at Sonicraft.

and how do you come uo with .01uf

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2010, 07:26:18 AM »
Evan, the general rule of thumb for bypass caps is they should be 1/100 capacity of the cap they are bypassing. That changes the capacity by only 1%, which is much less than the tolerance for the main cap. Otherwise multiple caps in parallel should be equal value when possible.

Vishay MKP1837 is another great bypasser, very inexpensive.
http://www.partsconnexion.com/capacitor_film_visrod.html

evan1

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2010, 07:32:16 AM »
Evan, the general rule of thumb for bypass caps is they should be 1/100 capacity of the cap they are bypassing. That changes the capacity by only 1%, which is much less than the tolerance for the main cap. Otherwise multiple caps in parallel should be equal value when possible.

Vishay MKP1837 is another great bypasser, very inexpensive.
http://www.partsconnexion.com/capacitor_film_visrod.html

Got ya . I'm not a diy guy.
Now so many suggestions. I may go with Martin's since he has heard my system. Any nay sayers ?

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2010, 07:54:52 AM »
 If you desire more air and detail the V-cap is the cap. Either a bypass  or relacement. The tin/Teflon are neutral and the copper/Teflon similiar but more meat on the bone, meaning weight and body. The topend of these capsto my ears are unmatched. I am keen on the high frequency nasties. Sibilance, bright, lean,metallic sound gone.
   Used in conjunction with an Amperex tube, Mullard or RCA the synergy is really good. Check A'gon for used V-caps. Just remember it takes 1000 hours for the V-caps to blossom, most give up way to soon and never get to appreciate what this cap does. After 750 hours I was ready to take an axe to the amp. Couldn't believe it was still changing. Then I read a DIY blog where the bouys were agreeing that it took 1000 hours, so I waited and will not go back . Start saving.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Response Audio
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2010, 08:05:49 AM »
Hey there Evan,
 I have not read through everyone's response so I apologize if I am repeating what may have already been mentioned.

Being a preamp, I doubt 600V is needed. As a general rule, the voltage a coupling cap sees is usually around half of the B+ voltage. I would however check before downsizing the voltage.

The SoniCap Gen I (which is what is shown in the picture) is very clean with no sonic signature. To some, this may be a little "boring". Here is a little of my personal finding on some capacitors. Take it with a grain of salt as these are only my personal opinions and in circuits I am familiar with.

Mundorf Silver/Oil - Sound great in the beginning but tend to get too soft and rolled off as they break in (about 300 hours). I like them in the beginning but not after broken in.

AuriCap - very smooth with good resolution and transparency. Not a bad choice at all but you can get everything the AuriCap has to offer for less money with the Clarity SA mentioned below.

V-Cap OIMP - takes a long time to come into their own but very nice when they do. These provide the speed and articulation of a good metalized poly cap with the smoothness of oil. Available in 250V & 600V

CAP TFTF - Would be my first choice if cost was not a factor. If you can hold off till you can use these, I would do it.

Clarity Cap - The SA is similar in sound to the AuriCap but slightly cleaner in my experience. The ESA has more detail and resolution and the MR is similar to the ESA but with the acrylic housing. The ESA and MR are basically the same construction but housed in different bodies. I did not think the acrylic would make as much of a difference as it does. The Clarity MR is one of my favorite caps.
(I have testing all the Clarity Caps in our Purity products and they are now standard)

Solen - Nope....this would be a downgrade.

Janzen - Very good value but I don't think they would be an upgrade over the SoniCap.

Dueland - forget it. Probably well beyond the $100 budget.

One last thing, If I recall, you are on a quest for a new preamp? If so, I would not go overboard with the cap upgrade. Then again, this would probably only rule out the V-Cap TFTF and Dueland.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 08:14:40 AM by Response Audio »
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
Custom Vacuum Tube Deaign
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2010, 08:11:13 AM »
 :thumb:    Thanks so much Bill. It's not my preamp, but i will refer to your comments in the future, I'm sure...

evan1

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2010, 08:24:41 AM »
Thanks for the input to all. Still not sure. No rush. I like my sound. Must of been the Harvest II cables  :thumb:Just trying to figure out  where it can go  with a few upgrades. It's less expensive than a new pre right now.I guess it will be easier to use a bypass in case I'm not happy with the sound. What I need is for someone to make a suggestion with brand and value under 50.00 which most seem to be and I will go for it. I want more transparency and detail . Nothing to screw up the general character of what I have now. Bass ,mids and highs are all fine.

evan1

« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2010, 08:38:14 AM »
Hey there Evan,
 I have not read through everyone's response so I apologize if I am repeating what may have already been mentioned.

Being a preamp, I doubt 600V is needed. As a general rule, the voltage a coupling cap sees is usually around half of the B+ voltage. I would however check before downsizing the voltage.

The SoniCap Gen I (which is what is shown in the picture) is very clean with no sonic signature. To some, this may be a little "boring". Here is a little of my personal finding on some capacitors. Take it with a grain of salt as these are only my personal opinions and in circuits I am familiar with.

Mundorf Silver/Oil - Sound great in the beginning but tend to get too soft and rolled off as they break in (about 300 hours). I like them in the beginning but not after broken in.

AuriCap - very smooth with good resolution and transparency. Not a bad choice at all but you can get everything the AuriCap has to offer for less money with the Clarity SA mentioned below.

V-Cap OIMP - takes a long time to come into their own but very nice when they do. These provide the speed and articulation of a good metalized poly cap with the smoothness of oil. Available in 250V & 600V

CAP TFTF - Would be my first choice if cost was not a factor. If you can hold off till you can use these, I would do it.

Clarity Cap - The SA is similar in sound to the AuriCap but slightly cleaner in my experience. The ESA has more detail and resolution and the MR is similar to the ESA but with the acrylic housing. The ESA and MR are basically the same construction but housed in different bodies. I did not think the acrylic would make as much of a difference as it does. The Clarity MR is one of my favorite caps.
(I have testing all the Clarity Caps in our Purity products and they are now standard)

Solen - Nope....this would be a downgrade.

Janzen - Very good value but I don't think they would be an upgrade over the SoniCap.

Dueland - forget it. Probably well beyond the $100 budget.

One last thing, If I recall, you are on a quest for a new preamp? If so, I would not go overboard with the cap upgrade. Then again, this would probably only rule out the V-Cap TFTF and Dueland.

Bill

Would you suggest this for a bypass cap

http://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=170&products_id=8113

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Response Audio
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2010, 08:46:19 AM »
Bill

You're quick Evan. I was already typing to recommend that exact capacitor as a bypass for the SoniCaps.
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
Custom Vacuum Tube Deaign
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

evan1

« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2010, 08:47:32 AM »
Bill

You're quick Evan. I was already typing to recommend that exact capacitor as a bypass for the SoniCaps.

Done. I'm putting my order in now.