Author Topic: Mouse Pad Vibration Isolation  (Read 10972 times)

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
Re: Mouse Pad Vibration Isolation
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 08:18:27 AM »
Now i am wandering if these pads are sorbothane? could be you know.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 08:40:59 AM »
I got some of the "Selector Packs" on the page Barry linked.

Nice, pre-cut ovals that are just the right thing, if you are looking for just that thing  :roll:

-Mike

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 08:51:44 AM »
That's a nice find Mike. Different durometers will allow experimenting. And even the small size is big enough, since you cut it up into 1/2" or smaller squares to get the loading up.

These might help
http://www.sorbothane.com/standard_product_guide2.php
http://www.sorbothane.com/design-guide.php

Offline Werd

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 11:02:14 AM »
Hello

Somebody volunteer and i will send out two pads (my dime). I am curious how they compare to other home mades and platforms.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 08:58:57 PM »
Hello

Somebody volunteer and i will send out two pads (my dime). I am curious how they compare to other home mades and platforms.

Sure, I'm game. As I posted previously, I am currently using Black Diamond Racing cones, so I can at least give you a comparison to them. We also have a number of people within the AudioSyndrome that use all kinds of commercial and/or home brewed underpinnings for their CDPs. I can try to set up a little Long Island tour among our club members and see if we can widen the circle of feedback.

What do you say Syndromers (past and present), anyone else up for a little experimentation?
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Werd

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 09:15:34 PM »
Sure let me know by PM what your address is. I do prefer dac elevation like cones compared to platform. I sold my symposium rollerballs since they were just not stable enough around kids.  The nice thing about these is they don';t suck the dynamics out of the component.  I will send a pair off asap...... BTW there is no way you can hurt my feelings about this so no need soften your opinion.  hehe
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 09:28:06 PM by Werd »
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Werd

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2010, 12:45:55 PM »
Hello

Ok i am sending a pair of grey mouse pads off to Tom.  For even more nervosa i think two are better than one since you can seperate the distance  between the mousepads for a simulated drainage affect that symposium uses on their top model shelf.   :lol: Just remember you can't put anything to heavy on them because it just destroys the mousepad or foam.

P.S
i don't want these back..... 
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2010, 09:07:43 AM »
Hi  Rollo

I went and got a broken slab of granite that i fit under my bda also. I put the granite on those rubber in liners you put under dishes to keep them from sliding in the cupboards. Those keep the granite slab from sliding on my ht rack. And on the granite i use my data certified mousepads. A word on those, its sounds neurotic but they are different than anyother mouse pad out there. They work real nice and for 5 bucks each they are cheap and work great.... Anyone that wants to try them i can send them a pair. They would be real nice on glass shelves. Plus the component has to be not to heavy to avoid destroying the mousepad.

Granite can ring, if not damped. The non slip material is OK [ tried it] however Dynamat had more of affect of solidifying the granite. The mouse pads will break the resonance pattern from the granite but better to damp that as well.
   Those glass shelves have to go. Pretty to look at but not the best isolation material for audio. It always puzzled me as to why glass was chosen. Must be the look. Certainly not vibration control.
   OK I know this sounds crazy but old albums in their covers [ about 6] works real well. Its ugly but affective. Again have fun trying.

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Werd

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2010, 09:40:31 AM »
Hi Rollo

No i dont have glass shelves, i was only refering to an application. I guess with the granite to stop the ringing you need to create as much friction as possible. The granite will slide on the rack, you can actually twirl it with your finger on some surfaces. I can see how dynamant would work on the bottom
but on top the pads do the trick too and they are cheaper and look better.  Never thought of dynamat on the bottom  :thumb:.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2010, 10:35:46 PM »
I listened to these mouse pad a few time over the last week or two  and then last night asked my son to join me to get a second opinion. He heard the same things I did, so I am not crazy (at least about this anyhow.   :D )

The mouse pad had a definite softening effect when placed under the DAC. Not huge but definitely noticeable. Gave it a kind of classic tube sound, not unlike the older Conrad-johnson gear. It took the edge off a bit, and I really wanted to like it, but I kept going back to the fact that it also took a layer of detail with it. Now keep in mind that I am using an ART DI/O with the Bolder Cable Mensa Mod. The Bolder Mod itself took a lot of the edge out of the DI/O so there really wasn't much there to start. My son has a stock DI/O so we thought it would be a good idea to try it under there to see if we got similar results. My gut feel was that in the case of the stock unit it might very well end up being a net positive change as there is more edge to tame in the first place so the downside of detail loss might easily be outweighed by the reduction in edge.

Well I'll be dammed if the pad didn't have the exact opposite effect under Bobby's DI/O. Instead of softening the sound it brought out the details and to a much greater extent that the softening it did on the Mensa Mod unit. And while the resolution was much better, there was no additional hardening or edginess to the sound. While the mat under the Mensa was kind of a toss up (although I liked it better without, it was close either way) In the case of the stock unit it was unquestionably better with the pad. I am going to have a hard time getting it away from him to pass it along on the tour.

Now just to fill in the other details there is also a big difference in what the two units were originally sitting on. My Mensa is sitting on a ¾ MDF shelf in a cabinet that also holds about 800 records, so there is a lot of ballast. Bobby on the other hand has his components stacked on one another due to space considerations. So his stock DI/O is sitting on the thin sheet metal top of another component. I am sure this has some effect on the results.

As we have said before it may all be about tuning and depend on a) what sound you are starting with in your untreated unit and b)what kind of sound you would like in the end . Whatever underpinning any one person picks as the best for them would be the one that gets them most efficiently from A to B. And at least from my limited experience it seems that there sometimes is no apparent trend and the only way you can know what effect a given treatment will have in your system is to give it a try. Luckily in this case you would be spending under 20, so even if it didn’t work you wouldn’t be out a whole lot of money (and you would have some new mouse pads for you computer.)

Next experiment will be to try some of the other mouse pads I have around the house (most of them are made of neoprene) and see how different the results are with different mouse pads. It may not lead to any significant improvement, but it won’t cost me anything to try mouse pads I already have laying around the house and it id fun to play when there aren’t a whole lot of zeros at the end of the price tag.
 :drool:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Werd

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2010, 12:00:27 AM »
Hi Tom

When i looked at your dac i wasnt sure how much of an improvement you would get. My BDA is 17" wide, i think the wider components on a regular shelf would benefit the most. If you have a chance go to a kitchen table top wholesaler and get a scrap piece of granite and use that under the pad. That actually gives it more detail and it sounds more strident. I am glad you tried it ... thanx  :thumb:
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline richidoo

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2010, 06:12:52 AM »
Crazy!  Great experiment and report, thanks guys.