Author Topic: Mouse Pad Vibration Isolation  (Read 10973 times)

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
Mouse Pad Vibration Isolation
« on: September 03, 2010, 08:48:48 PM »
The Bda reminds of a beefed up bigger brother of the perpetual tech p3a dac. I owned that dac for about 5 years before i bought the Bryston BDA. The Bda has a great beat to it. The only thing i find it needs is a good platform or rack to rest on. It seems to be a trebly on a cheap wooden ht rack. I use Data certified mouse pads as a cheap and cheerful alternative. They calm my cheap Ht rack down. 
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 07:09:00 AM »
The Bda reminds of a beefed up bigger brother of the perpetual tech p3a dac. I owned that dac for about 5 years before i bought the Bryston BDA. The Bda has a great beat to it. The only thing i find it needs is a good platform or rack to rest on. It seems to be a trebly on a cheap wooden ht rack. I use Data certified mouse pads as a cheap and cheerful alternative. They calm my cheap Ht rack down. 

My Lector CDP needs a good plinth under to eliminate resonance from below . Vibrapods at first did the trick as per the review but the Nervosa had other plans. A plinth with an air tube AKA Arcicci worked wonders.
  What ever you try just make sure it eliminates resonance from the surface below. have fun trying.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Werd

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 09:08:24 PM »
Hi  Rollo

I went and got a broken slab of granite that i fit under my bda also. I put the granite on those rubber inliners you put under dishes to keep them from sliding in the cupboards. Those keep the granite slab from sliding on my ht rack. And on the granite i use my data certified mousepads. A word on those, its sounds neurotic but they are different than anyother mouse pad out there. They work real nice and for 5 bucks each they are cheap and work great.... Anyone that wants to try them i can send them a pair. They would be real nice on glass shelves. Plus the component has to be not to heavy to avoid destroying the mousepad.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 09:13:02 PM by Werd »
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 09:18:35 PM »
I got a set of BDR cones on the cheap at a swap meet and figured I would play with them under my CDP. Heard a big difference when I substituted them for the aluminum cones I had under there (a set of the original tiptoes). However after doing some reading on the net I tried flipping the cones point up and dammed if that didn't make a difference too, along with all the different combinations of point up and point down. Crazy hobby we live with, huh. But I guess that's what makes it interesting.....
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 12:02:40 AM »
BDR = Black Diamond Racing (carbon fiber)

Certified Data Mouse Pads   Which one do you recommend, Werd?

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 06:22:31 AM »
And on the granite i use my data certified mousepads. A word on those, its sounds neurotic but they are different than anyother mouse pad out there.

Is there anything different about these outside of how they sound? For example, do they look viably different from other mouosepads or use materials that  you can tell are different from the run of the mill pads?
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Werd

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 01:07:05 PM »
And on the granite i use my data certified mousepads. A word on those, its sounds neurotic but they are different than anyother mouse pad out there.

Is there anything different about these outside of how they sound? For example, do they look viably different from other mouosepads or use materials that  you can tell are different from the run of the mill pads?

They are about 1/4 in thick made of some type of foam composite. They are more thicker than a normal mouse pad. They layer the foam with a spread that lets the mouse fly over easier. I was trying to find out what is all made of but i cant  find out anything.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline richidoo

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 01:24:12 PM »
Yours is just the plain $6 version, right? Not the gel or wrist pad kind.

Usually mouse pads are neoprene foam, like used in wetsuits.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoprene

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Mouse Pad Vibration Isolation
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 01:30:57 PM »
They are about 1/4 in thick made of some type of foam composite. They are more thicker than a normal mouse pad. They layer the foam with a spread that lets the mouse fly over easier. I was trying to find out what is all made of but i cant  find out anything.

Would you post a link to where they're available for sale?

Edit...
Are these them?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 01:38:19 PM by Barry (NJ) »
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 01:57:33 PM »
Over the years I tried just about everything under my CD player. I moved from Vibrapods, to cork squares, to cut in half squash balls, to home made rollerblocks, and pieces of hardwood. Each made a difference and should be looked at as a tuning device. There is no optimum answer for all systems. It just depends on what you think you are lacking and what effect a given material has on the sound, and they all have an effect.

Good luck in your quest, and try a bunch of things,
Bob
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline Werd

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 02:13:02 PM »
They are about 1/4 in thick made of some type of foam composite. They are more thicker than a normal mouse pad. They layer the foam with a spread that lets the mouse fly over easier. I was trying to find out what is all made of but i cant  find out anything.

Would you post a link to where they're available for sale?

Edit...
Are these them?

Yes those are them. Look at all the nice colors....hehe. Don't get the ones with wristpads or anything. Just the basic ones and you need two. One won't go under the entire component usually. they are only like 5 bucks and if you don't like at least you got good mouse pads... they are excellent mouse pads too....  :rofl:
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Werd

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 02:16:42 PM »
Oh and since they come in black or grey i put them on top of my bda for protection from dropping cd covers and other stuff causing scratches. The black are unnoticeable on top of gear and offer great protection.  :thumb:  :rofl:
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Werd

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 02:33:10 PM »
Yours is just the plain $6 version, right? Not the gel or wrist pad kind.

Usually mouse pads are neoprene foam, like used in wetsuits.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoprene

thanks Rich, i am sure thats what they are made of.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline richidoo

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 05:57:54 PM »
I am a Sorbothane zealot. If you load it heavy enough it will eat all vibration. Neoprene is springier.

Edmund's Scientific is the cheapest source:
http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_3037000

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 05:27:38 AM »
I am a Sorbothane zealot. If you load it heavy enough it will eat all vibration. Neoprene is springier.

Edmund's Scientific is the cheapest source:
http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_3037000

If you want larger or thicker sheets, McMaster-Carr is a good source...

http://www.mcmaster.com/#ultra-soft-polyurethane/=8xxi53
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...