Author Topic: Marchand crossovers  (Read 4497 times)

Ryno

Marchand crossovers
« on: March 07, 2007, 08:13:31 PM »
Anyone here use one?
Kind of spendy, but if they sound good I might try a kit. For the last couple of years I've been using a sub to fill under full range mains, I'm interested in trying a two way crossover. I would put the xover in my diy ucd amp. The tranny has a set of +/-13v secondary but the xover needs 15v so I would have to get a power supply along with the xover boards. Is it worth getting the one with adjustable slopes, or is 24 good enough?
Ryan

Offline Rob Babcock

• Seeking Help
Marchand crossovers
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 08:35:33 PM »
They're one of the few (if not only) companies out there making tubed crossovers!  How cool is that? 8)

AcidJazz

Marchand crossovers
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 09:19:50 PM »
For well over a decade('85-'99) I used their XM-1s (the cheapest) in a biamp setup with a single sub and two monitors. They do sound good. If you don't need adjustable slopes why pay for them. I had bought two of the XM1s and PS10 power supply assembed and tested, picked up a case somewhere else and wired it up with ICs connected directly to the boards.

mgalusha

Marchand crossovers
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 09:02:50 PM »
I'm using an XM-44 as a 2 way with 4th order LR slopes and it work very well. If you're going to build one into a piece of equipment Phil sells the XM 44 boards for embedded systems as well as the XM-1 boards. I doubt you would go wrong either way.

They definitely appreciate a good power supply. I built a replacement for the PS-10 that came with the XM-44 and found the performance improvement well worth the time and effort.

Ryno

Marchand crossovers
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 09:28:11 PM »
Thanks for the response. I think I'll give it a shot, probably the XM9. I don't think I'll need the variable slopes. There's two power supplies, the PS10, and a toroidal for a little more. mgalusha, is this what you upgraded to, or was it your own design?
Thanks, Ryan

mgalusha

Marchand crossovers
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 02:32:36 PM »
Ryan,

I built one using Linear Technology regulators, Fairchild stealth diodes and Panasonic FC caps with .1uF Black Gate caps. I stuck closely to the data sheet circuits provided by Linear. I did use a transformer with about twice the VA rating of the original, it runs much cooler.

I did run some SPICE simulations, primarily in regards to the amount of capacitance after the diodes but prior to the regs. Too much and it tends to ring and respond slower. I think I ended up with 4700uF per rail but I'd have to find my simulation file to be sure. I *think* it's on my laptop somewhere.

Best of luck to you.