Author Topic: New Alan Maher Reference III - preliminary review  (Read 16012 times)

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: New Alan Maher Reference III - preliminary review
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 08:45:26 AM »
That has been my experience as well, but not being an electrician I wasn't sure if that was by tradition or forced by some sort of code or indusrty standard.

I don't think there is any kind of code for it... at least none that I'm aware of... just a design decision I guess.  It varies by panel.  I've put in half a dozen (including one a little over a year ago) that didn't alternate and lots of ones that do. 
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 09:12:10 AM »
So short of taking the cover panel off and tracing wires, is there any way to know which circuit is on which leg?   I am fairly clueless about it (and generally find I'm better off for it ;-)

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 09:38:55 AM »
What exactly does this thing do, if you dont mind me asking.
M

You're best bet is to check his Web site: http://alanmaherdesigns.com/Philosophy.aspx
You can also find some info on each product as well on his site.  The Ref III is new and not yet on his site although I suspect it's similar to the Ref II but moreso.  Here's is the 1st sentence of his Ref II description:

The Reference II is a parallel RFI/EMI noise filter that can reduce and eliminate high frequency harmonic ringing residing on the AC

Alan also responds here and on AC some or you could just contact him for more info.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 09:50:31 AM »
So short of taking the cover panel off and tracing wires, is there any way to know which circuit is on which leg?   I am fairly clueless about it (and generally find I'm better off for it ;-)

Not really any way without physically looking to see how the backplane is laid out.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Deton Nation

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 10:17:11 AM »
M

You're best bet is to check his Web site: http://alanmaherdesigns.com/Philosophy.aspx
You can also find some info on each product as well on his site.  The Ref III is new and not yet on his site although I suspect it's similar to the Ref II but moreso.  Here's is the 1st sentence of his Ref II description:

The Reference II is a parallel RFI/EMI noise filter that can reduce and eliminate high frequency harmonic ringing residing on the AC

Alan also responds here and on AC some or you could just contact him for more info.
Thanks... Ill check it out
M

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 10:23:40 AM »
M

Thanks... Ill check it out
M

Alan is out of town but according to his web site he will be bak next week and will be running a sale of 20% on almost everything.

You can check it out at:

http://alanmaherdesigns.com/
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 10:30:32 AM »

Not really any way without physically looking to see how the backplane is laid out.

Bryan

US residential power is usually supplied via a 240V line which is then broken down to 120v by referencing each leg to a neutral buss. If you take off the cover of your breaker box and look at the output of your main input breaker it will be pretty easy to trace the paths of the backplane busses for the two legs out to the individual circuit breakers.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 10:36:09 AM »
Usually they alternate legs for each breaker in a vertical row.

Brain fart - They would need to be one under the other in order to span both legs with a dual breaker if you need a 240 line for an electric stove or dryer, wouldn't you? I don't think I have ever seen a 240 breaker that spanned across the vertical rows. (But never say never, I guess it is still a good idea to eyeball it if it is important to identify which leg a given breaker in on.)

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2010, 09:16:47 AM »
Usually they alternate legs for each breaker in a vertical row.

(But never say never, I guess it is still a good idea to eyeball it if it is important to identify which leg a given breaker in on.)
TWSS  :rofl:
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2010, 06:29:07 AM »
What exactly does this thing do, if you don't mind me asking.
M

What they do is manage the magnetics and harmonics on the AC line. When used in conjunction with each other say CBfs at the breaker, wire bundle [ wires into panel], main breaker and inside outlet box and a Ref 2 and Ref 3 filter a transformation of the soundstage, imaging, weight and clarity is addictive.
  Even a minimum of one at the wire bundle or breaker feeding your system will work wonders as I have experienced. Truly a no brainer, which is far and few between in our hobby. These work as claimed and highly recommended. ZERO SNAKEOIL.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.