Author Topic: New Alan Maher Reference III - preliminary review  (Read 16014 times)

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
New Alan Maher Reference III - preliminary review
« on: January 05, 2010, 05:04:26 PM »
A bit of background... I've been using Alan Maher power products now for about 6 months.   I've got a Quantum Studio on my dedicated audio circuit, a couple Reference IIs and a PE v3 on non-audio circuits and a few Infinity CBFs thrown in for good measure.  I've been extremely  pleased with the results since first venturing into Alan's world as other posts here and on AC will attest.

Which brings me to his latest - the Reference III.   I received one for eval 4 days ago and, based on advice from Alan, just inserted it into yet another non-audio circuit in my house.   To be honest, I didn't expect a whole lot... Given the number of AM products I'm already using, there must be a point of diminishing return. Hah!  not so with the Reference III.

1) A couple hours after I inserted it... I was in the listening room but not even in the sweet spot, and I could swear the vocals just seemed to have more body.  I jumped into the sweet spot (after apologizing to my daughter for leaping over her)... Sure enough - not only more body to the vocals, but better 3D imaging in the sound stage.  We had a number of people over so I really didn't have any time to listen seriously, but noticeable it was! 

2) Next night ...  (note that the Ref III was inserted into my bedroom circuit which also has a nice but at best mid-fi system)... when I entered the bedroom, my wife already had the stereo on and, damn, it just sounded better... more tonal thump in the bass (these are bookshelf speakers).   

3) Last night - serious listening session (4+ days after plugging it in).  All I can say is that it was the best I've ever heard my system.  Liquid, musical, and totally engaging.  If I have to describe it, I'd say tighter, better defined bass, luscious mids, increased width and depth to the soundstage and the cleanest, clearest top-end I've heard in a long time.    But in truth, what I noticed most is that I very quickly set aside the analytical side of my oh-so-ANed brain and just got lost in the music.  And that IS what it is all about  :thumb:

Is all this totally attributable to the AM Reference III plugged into a totally separate circuit in a different part of the house?  :-k  I have to say that, yeah, I think it is - or at least, it's working oh so well in concert with the other AM products in my system.  Fundamentally, I'm a skeptic at heart, but I've become a huge believer in just how much power affects what our systems are capable of.   Whatever these Alan Maher gadgets are doing (nope, no EE here ;-), they are clearly allowing my system to better achieve what it is capable of.

Alan says that this thing will continue to improve for several more weeks... Damn if I can imagine how.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
Re: New Alan Maher Reference III - preliminary review
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 08:17:33 PM »
I have a Alan Maher Circuit Breaker (Infinity) thingy on my breaker and I like it.
The only thing that bothers me with this Alan Maher stuff is he alway comes out with another version of the thing you just bought, and it seems you need alot of these things!
It does smack of the merry go round.
It could be a pyramid scheme for audio...no?
Not trying to be a prick, but it does seem like you always have to upgrade, I mean develop the damn thing....then release it...don't release an experiment, everyone buys one...then come along and say I just made it better.

I think Alan might have a major in psychology, and a minor in audiophile psychology :rofl:

You know we audiophiles are insecure..we NEED to know we have the latest and greatest to make us sleep at night :lol:  to have version 3, when version 4 just came out...well we will loose sleep that night :duh

Just a smartass observation....because that is what I do!

Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 05:25:31 AM »
The upgrade merry-go-round is a huge risk for any manufacturer, and others have paid the price for doing so.   But I have to say that with Alan Maher products, it's not so much a need to upgrade - Alan doesn't even hint at that - it's simply addition.   The Ref III does more than the Ref II, but when combined, there seems to be a very significant synergistic effect.  At least, that's what my ears are hearing.  YMMV.   Hey, a good chunk of my AM stuff was bought used and if you consider the sheer volume of stuff for sale on A'gon, it's easy to see what keeps the Nervosa pumping.

But think about this hobby - every one of us is guilty of upgrade-itis   :duh   We should establish an audio scorecard for each of us that is calculated by the amount of stuff we buy and keep divided by the total amount of stuff we've ever bought and updated annually.   Hey, anyone even approaching a score of 1.0 would never even know about Alan Maher, AudioNervosa or Audiogon.   :rofl:

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 06:49:56 AM »
Good to hear. So far I believe you have the most extensive use of AM products . I am curious as to the total amount of money it has taken to achieve your nirvana.
    Trying to determine a cost for a AM system that would be considered a complete treatment. Or a least a minimum system treatment expenditure. It is a bit confusing as to what one needs. it would be much easier for the buyer if a package deal or package was offered instead of trying to determine this for ones system. Also to compare system cost to other solutions offered.
   The CBF I have installed at the breaker IMO has taken a little longer than one month to really do its thing. The sound was still changing after the one month period. Since only one is installed so far it is easy to discern. Now after two months all is very very good. it amazes me how now I can hear the room, but the coolest result is when the music gets busy yet one can still hear the individual instruments in their respective place in the soundstage. Air and decay is bettered as well.This product will NEVER be removed.
   The addition of upgraded models and such yes is a bummer for the buyer. Do I wait ? Buy now ? A trade up program would be a desirable feature of the product especially with several revisions to the models.

charles 
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Deton Nation

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 07:13:03 AM »
I was looking... Is this the thing on his website that you just plug into the wall? Looks like a wall wart?
Thanks.
M

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 11:14:33 AM »
I was looking... Is this the thing on his website that you just plug into the wall? Looks like a wall wart?
Thanks.
M

Si senor.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 11:15:24 AM »
Charles... When I first considered Alan Maher products, I had a very nice power conditioner.  My first purchase of an AM product was probably his most expensive - the Quantum Studio - but I bought it when he was having one of his big sales.  After hearing the benefits, I sold the power conditioner and still ended up about $1000 ahead.  

A couple months later I picked up a few Ref IIs used from a guy on AC at a very nice price.  The synergy gained from that on top of the Quantum Studio was more than enough for me to want more.  Alan then had another big sale and I picked up a PE v3 & Infinity Shield which also included a free CBF.  And now throw in the Ref III that I'm evaluating.  I haven't added up what I spent on all of these but I bet I'm still well under what I invested in the power conditioner.  I'm done (for now).

There are a few folks on AC and AA that also have a lot of Alan's products and all seem to report similar synergistic benefits as you add more.  Will AM products work the same for all?  Dunno, but I have to think that it's a function of each person's home electrical environment and the extent of RF & EMI they're dealing with.  

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 11:55:16 AM »
Charles... When I first considered Alan Maher products, I had a very nice power conditioner.  My first purchase of an AM product was probably his most expensive - the Quantum Studio - but I bought it when he was having one of his big sales.  After hearing the benefits, I sold the power conditioner and still ended up about $1000 ahead.  

A couple months later I picked up a few Ref IIs used from a guy on AC at a very nice price.  The synergy gained from that on top of the Quantum Studio was more than enough for me to want more.  Alan then had another big sale and I picked up a PE v3 & Infinity Shield which also included a free CBF.  And now throw in the Ref III that I'm evaluating.  I haven't added up what I spent on all of these but I bet I'm still well under what I invested in the power conditioner.  I'm done (for now).

There are a few folks on AC and AA that also have a lot of Alan's products and all seem to report similar synergistic benefits as you add more.  Will AM products work the same for all?  Dunno, but I have to think that it's a function of each person's home electrical environment and the extent of RF & EMI they're dealing with.  

That is what I was looking for. you are still ahead of what you spent for the original power conditioner which the Alan Maher products replaced. Thanks.

charles

djdube525

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 07:18:25 PM »
Which brings me to his latest - the Reference III.   I received one for eval 4 days ago and, based on advice from Alan, just inserted it into yet another non-audio circuit in my house.   To be honest, I didn't expect a whole lot... Given the number of AM products I'm already using, there must be a point of diminishing return. Hah!  not so with the Reference III.

Is all this totally attributable to the AM Reference III plugged into a totally separate circuit in a different part of the house?  :-k  I have to say that, yeah, I think it is - or at least, it's working oh so well in concert with the other AM products in my system.  Fundamentally, I'm a skeptic at heart, but I've become a huge believer in just how much power affects what our systems are capable of.   Whatever these Alan Maher gadgets are doing (nope, no EE here ;-), they are clearly allowing my system to better achieve what it is capable of.

Separate circuit... but it it on the same 120V leg in your power panel???

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 06:17:02 AM »
Yes, I put the Reference III on a circuit on the same side of the panel as my dedicated audio circuit.  To be honest, I haven't really engaged in trying each and every circuit in my home as Alan generally advises.  At this point I've simply focused on circuits that I suspect need attention such as the ones feeding my frig, my computer, and my TV. 

AlanMaher

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 06:53:42 AM »
Each non-a/v circuit can have a Ref III installed for additional enhancement.  My max test so far is 6 circuits, including the a/v circuit, with zero downside.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 07:53:02 AM »
Mike,

Just for general information, just because two breakers are on the same side of the panel, it cannot automatically be asumed that they are on the same 120v leg. In many panels the breaers down each side aletrnate between legs and it is not all of one leg down one side. If it is really important to know you should (carefully) pull the cover off the panel and visually identify which leg each breaker is associated with.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 08:13:16 AM »
Usually they alternate legs for each breaker in a vertical row.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 08:24:13 AM »
That has been my experience as well, but not being an electrician I wasn't sure if that was by tradition or forced by some sort of code or indusrty standard.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Deton Nation

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 08:41:48 AM »
What exactly does this thing do, if you dont mind me asking.
M