Author Topic: What have you done with your system in 2009  (Read 10846 times)

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
What have you done with your system in 2009
« on: December 23, 2009, 10:17:00 AM »
In an effort to distract from the increasingly disturbing thread about ear cleaning  [-o<, here's a question to ponder...

How have you (or have you?) improved your system in 2009?

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
Re: What have you done with your system in 2009
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 10:31:48 AM »
I've switched entirely to computer playback of wave files from USB flash drives for critical listening and playback from external HD for all other applications and I got a new amp.
Scotty

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 10:59:05 AM »
I upgraded to an Ayre CX7e (soon to be MP upgraded) CD player.
I also upgraded my cartridge to a Transfiguration Temper and built a Hagerman Piccolo step-up to use with it.

Yeah, some expensive and big changes. I turned 50 this year, so I figured I owed myself a little splurge.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

musicfile

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 11:00:37 AM »
Good for you Bob
Enjoy my man  8)

Deton Nation

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 11:16:35 AM »
Upgraded to Nuforce 9SEv3... Put an expensive pair of interconnects in my system.. that cost me $20. Thanks Audio Gods... Probably a tube swap or two...

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 11:47:11 AM »
I got all new rooms... and all new room treatments to go along with them :)

too many other changes to list... lots of new speakers, new projectors, new screens, new amps and preamps, new DACs, new PCs.... and more to come in the new year!!
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Bigfish8

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 12:04:42 PM »
Lets see:  Room Treatments, All JPS SC-3 Cables,  BPT Umbilical Cord for Preamp, Dedicated 20 amp audio circuits and new speakers.  I have a feeling that 2010 does not look as bright for audio as 2009 has been!

Oh, Mike, thank you for starting this thread!

Ken
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 04:22:58 PM by Bigfish8 »

Offline JLM

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 12:28:33 PM »
Replaced:

Oppo 970, baffle step/zobel circuits, and Element Cables interconnects/speaker cables

with:

Onix CD-3, Scott Endler modded Behringer DEQ2496 DEQ/DAC, Scott Endler attenuators and signal cables throughout.

shep

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 12:49:43 PM »
New Room, new cables, upgraded ice amp, upgraded cdp (i hope)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 03:02:56 PM »
I cleaned my ears....    :rofl:

and...
Changed tube amps
Built a delicious DIY DAC, that was rewarding
New phono pre and cartridge
Changed ICs
New DSL modem/switch/router/wireless

Looking forward to more changes in 2010!

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 06:33:45 PM »
Very cool stuff indeed!  

It's been a big year for me as well in 3 distinct areas yet not an outrageously expensive one since all these improvements entailed selling prior equipment or cables first.

1) Replaced Tact 2.0s preamp/DAC with Oracle DAC1000.  The Tact was excellent but, wow, the DAC1000 is just exceptional in every way!  

2) JPS!!!!   SC3 speaker cables, SC3 XLR ICs & an Aluminata Digital IC.   Whoa!

Shane (HomeTheaterDoc) is to be greatly credited with his invaluable assist in both of the above!  Thank you, Shane!  May Santa leave sweet audio-droppings in your stocking  :rofl:

3) Last but not least - Alan Maher power products!  Quantum Studio, Ref IIs, PE v3, a few Infinity CBFs and AM power cords!  

Each of the above have had a profound impact and yet, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts - pure, wonderful synergy!

2010 may just be the year I sit back and simply enjoy!   At least, that's what I'm doing now. :thumb:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 06:43:34 PM by mdconnelly »

bacobits

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 06:42:19 PM »
Well...
Sold my Denon 1650AR, Benchmark DAC1 combo and bought the Raysonic 128.

Sold my Basis 1400, RB300 combo that I had for quite some time, with Dynavector 10X5, transferred that to a Rega P5 with TTPS. Excellent! Really surprised me.

Always fiddling with tubes.
Happy with the changes. No regrets.

Oh, good riddance to 2009 !!!!!!!!!!

D
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 06:45:35 PM by bacobits »

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 07:07:00 PM »
- Added room treatments. One of the best things I ever did.

- Went full active with 5 channels (Two main channel coax, two stereo subs, one infinite baffle) with Behringer DCX. That's a Helluva lot of fun.  8)

- Got a new (used), better projector than I had

- Made myself a new projection screen

- Made a bunch of speakers

- Got a bunch of new music added

- But the best of all.....Made a bunch of new audio/video buddies.  :D

2009 sucked ass. Welcome to 2010.

Bob

Offline JLM

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2009, 05:02:44 AM »
I've also temporarily downgraded my speakers this year.   :roll:

I sent my Fostex F200A drivers to Bud Purvine to receive EnABLe treatments.  I had originally contacted him last spring but he was busy with his real job (he owns Onetics).  Then I started making system changes and wanted to be able to A/B those changes so I held off.  Finally got in contact with him again and sent the drivers off early November.  These are the first fully broken in pair he's worked with so he's taking his time, listening before proceeding.  He also suffered a head cold in the mean time which further delayed things.  I'll do a review after I get them back (which should be soon).

The plus side is that I've brought in my other speakers to fill in at the mancave.  They frankly don't get much use and the systems they're in are inferior.  

The first pair came from the living room stereo system, a pair of Fried A6's that made a short splash on AA when the leftovers from a company close out were sold cheap ($300/pair, MSRP $1,100).  They are average sized 2-ways that utilize a aperiodic cabinet design that according to Irving Fried is supposed to be a cheaper/simpler version of mass loaded transmission line.  Fried had departed from the company before these were made and it shows.  They are cheaply built, but provide a pleasant enough, full, non-fatiguing (low resolution) sound.  Putting them in the mancave room/system didn't help them much.

The other pair came from the family room HT system (front left/right speakers), a pair of Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's (the original design from the company).  They cost $328/pair (internet direct) and are small/squarish 2-way standmounts.  I've always liked them as the money went into the guts, obviously not the extremely cheap vinyl skin.  They image like champs and really turn disjointed black and white cartoons that so many mainline speakers produce into fully fleshed out coherent color paintings with texture.  After some re-break in they really have started to shine in the mancave room/system.

Matching $300 speakers in a $1,700 front end, etc. is not the way I would go, but it has given insight into what these old dogs can really sound like.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 06:07:07 AM by JLM »

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009, 12:37:33 PM »
Hmmm... well I sold my Gallo Reference speakers, the dual 12" spun aluminum spheres with a CDT that I'd had for over 10 years, and picked up the Reference 3.1s. Then I got an Oppo BDP-83 universal player.
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...