Author Topic: Our systems  (Read 42677 times)

wet weasel

Re: Our systems
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2007, 04:20:14 PM »
Thanks guys, especially Mik!
System edit.
Analog source: got a great deal on a clearaudio "insider" cartridge. Gee, it looked bigger in the pictures... Installing it was the sort of thing to induce cold sweats. Weird pin placement, lotsa maneuvering close to that mondo-bux wisp of diamond and unobtainium. But once in, it rewarded me. Halfway into the test LP, I forgot all about being in reviewer mode and just floated on the music. Kewl.
Digital source: Swapped out the Planet; swapped in the Mark somebody No. 39 CD player (as transport) that had been doing duty as my bedside headphone system. I got a Grace m901 headphone amp ... and learned that even if it doesn't complain, headphone duty is too much to ask of a linestage. Top and bottom octave came back home, and overall sound became more transparent and involving. Planet works well into the Grace's resident dac. Everybody wins!
cheers ww

hartwerger

« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2007, 12:05:22 PM »
Hey Rollo:   I'm a little late with a reply here.  Sorry about that; guess I haven't been keeping up with the forums like I should.   Anyway, if you're still out there and this post catches your eye, I was curious as to which version of the Lector do you own?  I have early version.  Some say the latest versions, the MKII and MKIII, are much more musical,, but I still love mine.  I just picked up this player a couple of months ago on the used market and it continues to amaze day to day.   I did try the Telefunkens.    In many respects, this was a remarkable tube, great powerful bass, clear and open midrange, extremely holographic with a huge soundstage.  It may be the most analog sounding of all the tubes I've tried, very smooth, but it didn't have enough zip on the top end for my tastes.   I felt like I wanted a little more energy on top which I felt I was getting from a Mullard 6201.  I intend to re-visit the Tele one of these days just to see if I still feel the same way, but haven't gotten around to it yet.   As for the power cords, I'd like to know a little more about the Omega Mikro.   I tried a Black Sand Violet Z1 with the Lector and a Michael Wolff Carbon Source.   Preferred the Revelation Audio Precept II over both of them.  The Wolff cord has a scary real sound to  it, but I ultimately felt like I was missing some upper bass/lower mid which my system needs.  I liked the warmth of the Black Sand, but it didn't have the tonal weight of the Precept II.    I really don't have much of a reason to replace the Precept cord, but sometimes I want a little more realism than the Precept provides, and sometimes I think it smooths over the leading edges of the notes a bit too much; nonetheless, its still a great cord that has yet to meet its match while on the Lector and everything that preceded the Lector.    I don't really know the Pipedreams--are they really tall line arrays?  How do you like them?

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2007, 07:10:21 AM »
Hey Rollo:   I'm a little late with a reply here.  Sorry about that; guess I haven't been keeping up with the forums like I should.   Anyway, if you're still out there and this post catches your eye, I was curious as to which version of the Lector do you own?  I have early version.  Some say the latest versions, the MKII and MKIII, are much more musical,, but I still love mine.  I just picked up this player a couple of months ago on the used market and it continues to amaze day to day.   I did try the Telefunkens.    In many respects, this was a remarkable tube, great powerful bass, clear and open midrange, extremely holographic with a huge soundstage.  It may be the most analog sounding of all the tubes I've tried, very smooth, but it didn't have enough zip on the top end for my tastes.   I felt like I wanted a little more energy on top which I felt I was getting from a Mullard 6201.  I intend to re-visit the Tele one of these days just to see if I still feel the same way, but haven't gotten around to it yet.   As for the power cords, I'd like to know a little more about the Omega Mikro.   I tried a Black Sand Violet Z1 with the Lector and a Michael Wolff Carbon Source.   Preferred the Revelation Audio Precept II over both of them.  The Wolff cord has a scary real sound to  it, but I ultimately felt like I was missing some upper bass/lower mid which my system needs.  I liked the warmth of the Black Sand, but it didn't have the tonal weight of the Precept II.    I really don't have much of a reason to replace the Precept cord, but sometimes I want a little more realism than the Precept provides, and sometimes I think it smooths over the leading edges of the notes a bit too much; nonetheless, its still a great cord that has yet to meet its match while on the Lector and everything that preceded the Lector.    I don't really know the Pipedreams--are they really tall line arrays?  How do you like them?

hartwerger,
                      Good to hear from you. I have the Mk1 version. Heard the Mk3 and was not impressed. I believe the original still sounds better. You just need to isolate this baby and its power supply very well from external vibes. Ebony cones and Sound Fusion footers have worked best for me. ICs are Harmonix Golden Ratio. Havn't really experimented here as these ICs to it for me . Any suggestions? The Omega Mikro active PC is our clubs reference [Audiosyndrome]. Wonderfull tonality, huge soundstage, sparkling and sweet highs, authoritive bass and all the rest. Not cheap though. What is when its good. Very consistent no matter what system its plugged into. Amazing actually. I use their Active Speaker cable as well. They are tough to beat. Ron Bauman of Mapleshade has a winner here IMO.
    The Pipedreams are the 924 model. About 6'-6" tall with 24 tweeters and 9 midbass per side 94Db sen.. Do I like them? Are you *&#@&^$*&%$# kidding. Serious speakers here, they do it all in spades. With 16W SET power  its a trip. Even with SS. Had a Dartzeel Amp for a while[ loaner]. Sounded great but too much money for Amp. The bass and midbass presentation was breathtaking. For over $18,000 they just had to go.
     Well, time to change LP, its Sonny Rollins day. Happy listening.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

hartwerger

« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2007, 06:25:25 PM »
Interesting about the comparisons b/w the MKI and MKIII.  Since I own the MKI, I'm definitely glad to hear that.   Also glad to hear those Pipedreams are blowing your mind.  Hope to hear them myself one day.  As much as I like my Merlins, I could never give them the kind of endorsement you give your Pipedreams; however, I think I'd be comparing apples and oranges as the Pipes are most likely in a different league.  Still, I could make some sacreligous comments about the Merlins, but since they have such a devout following, I'll keep my thoughts to my own.  Anyway, the Lector.   Definitely benefits from isolation.   Its a necessity.    I bought my unit used and it came with some unknown brand of plastic cones for the power supply.   I've seen more than one Lector owner use a custom made Silent Running Audio Iso Base, but not being able to afford one of those, I was able to try one of the SRA entry level products called the Tremor/Less.   Although I was going to use it under the Lector player, SRA strongly urged me to use it under my amp and work my way in the direction of the player rather than vice versa.   I did and have no regrets.   Actually, the improvement from the Tremor/Less was like a component upgrade--just a nice even improvement in all areas of the frequency and made everything more pleasant and musical.   Can't recommend it enough no matter where you use it.   I swapped out the plastic cones in favor of some Herbies Iso Cups w/ the Gabon Gyro balls.   I really liked these much better than the cones.   I then picked up a used Neuance Platform shelf.   Like iceing on the cake.  The highs are a little silkier, better clarity, some improvement in an already great soundstage, and more PRAT.   I'm pretty happy with this setup.   Ideally, I'd like to get another Tremor/Less for the power supply of the Lector and the power supply of my preamp, but there are budget constraints.   Hopefully I can pick up another Neuance shelf (hint, hint, if anybody out there has one sitting in a closet they'd like to sell) since they aren't as expensive as the SRA products.     Although I think the Herbies IsoCups are doing a fine job under the power supply, I suspect there's more to be gained with one of the SRA or Neuance shelves.   Anyway, I seem to be rambling on about all this isolation.   You're more than welcome to email/PM me if you'd like more info.  ....... or if you want to invite me over to hear those Pipedreams.