Author Topic: Our systems  (Read 42636 times)

Offline mca

• Certifiable
Our systems
« on: March 04, 2007, 09:23:53 AM »
Since this is a new site, and we don't have a way of posting our systems yet, I thought it might be nice to post a bit of info about them. List of equipment, what you like and don't like about it and things you might like to change in the future.
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

Offline mca

• Certifiable
Our systems
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 09:47:53 AM »
My system is listed below. The SB3 just came back from Bolder with the latest round of upgrades. The power supply now has a Bybee in it and the SB3 has a new pair of gold Bybees just added.

I got a great deal on an Equitech Q1.5 from Chip Stern and it is now in the system as of last week. It replaces a Powervar unit I had that always put off a low level buzz. I need to do some more listening to get a handle on what it is doing for the sound. One thing I know is it made a huge difference with my Panny plasma TV.

I like this system because it is so simple. No preamp, just the SB3 direct into the amp using it's internal volume. After using the SB3, I don't think that I could ever go back to a CD player again. There is always something new playing thanks to the internet radio feature.

My room has always been a problem though. It's a dedicated room, so I at least have the luxury of doing what I want with it. Right now I have it stuffed with GIK panels to try and fix a bass problem. I think it's overdone and the sound is a bit dead and un-involving right now.  I'm working with Brian to try and get things figured out and hopefully get things snapped back into shape.  (I should have the .pdf drawing to you today, Brian)
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

miklorsmith

Our systems
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 10:39:21 AM »
Simple!?!?  Ha!  Where are you going to put all the expensive wires, vibration isolators and doodads?  There's a LOT of available holes to shovel your money into that you're not taking advantage of.  Think about your larger responsibility to the industry and rethink your priorities.  Then, let's have this discussion again.   :D

shep

Our systems
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 11:20:38 AM »
I have the simplest :twisted: ! One cdp, two speakers, 6 wires, one amp with one input. No room treatment. Beat that!

WEEZ

Our systems
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 12:37:16 PM »
I'll try to add it to my signature..and see if it works...

Sure enough.

:oops: WEEZ (the computer dumbass)

Double Ugly

Our systems
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 01:21:05 PM »
My System

Source - Modified Slim Devices Transporter
Amplification - Butler Audio Monad monoblocks
Speakers - SP Technology Timepiece 2.1s (I finalized my order for Revelations today :D)
Interconnects - Stealth Audio Cables Indra
Speaker Cables - Gregg Straley's Reality Cables
Power Cords - Black Sand Cable Silver Reference Mk.V x 3
Tweaks - Audio Points, Sistrum SP-101 Platform (x 2 for amps), Micro-Bearing Conductive Steel Fill Material, Porter Ports electrical outlets, 2 dedicated 20-Amp lines.

As for things I don't like about my system, I honestly can't think of much.  It's one of those you don't know what you don't have until you hear it kind of things.  As good as it is, I know the bass can be even better because I've *heard* better.  Fortunately for me, the "better" bass I heard came from a pair of SP Tech Revelations, so the order I finalized today should take care of that in spades!  :D

As for what I'd like to add, a pre-amp that doesn't detract from the open, natural sound I'm getting now.  Even better, I'd love to find a pre-amp that actually improves the presentation, but I'm not holding my breath.  If/when I do, I fear it will attack my bank account with a vengeance.  :(

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Our systems
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 07:52:53 PM »
My system is still evolving since I started with it a year ago, I guess it never stops, that is the essence of the hobby. But it alreadt sounds very good. Powerful, clear and very emotional and musical. Problems with shouting hornlike distortion in the large room are being fixed by 8th Nerve Adapts, just started installing those today. Seems better already.

Legacy Focus 2020
Cary SLI-80 tube integrated 70wpc with 6550 power tubes
Slim Squeezebox 3, with upgraded power supply by Power-One
Samsung HD-841 universal player
Sansui TU-717 Tuner, Radio Shack FM antenna on roof
Technics SL-Q2 turntable, Audiotechnica cartridge
Bellari tube phono preamp
Paul Speltz Anti-cables for speakers, jumpers and ICs
Paul Speltz Zeroformers, impedence matching autoformers
Standout Designs N70 all solid maple cabinet
Eighth Nerve Adapt acoustic treatments

LOVE IT!! I need a NOS DAC like AVA UltraDAC, and more anticables ICs. I would like to upgrade the turntable in time, to a Kuzma Stabi S. I will probably upgrade the amp too, as my thirst for power continues to grow especially with the room anomalies coming under control. Looking at VTL, ARC or Butler for amps with ARC Ref 3 pre. I might try to build a pair of Orion open baffle speakers for fun, but I have a hard time believing they will take down the mighty Focus in tonality, range and power, but I have an open mind and like to experiment. My 8yo son and I are building a pair of P101 monoblocks from Elliot Sound.

Thanks for reading about my system. I look forward to reading about your setup and getting ideas of things to try to improve mine further.
Rich

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Our systems
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 08:47:22 AM »
My primary system is the 2-channel and consists of:

Piega C-5 Limited Speakers
McIntosh C220 Preamp
McIntosh MC402 Amp (2x400 watts)
Sources:
Scott Nixon USB Tube DAC
Audio PC using 2.4G Intel on an Asus Kv7m? I think mobo; in a Nexus case
Sony PS-X600 turntable with Dynavector 10x5 cart

Cabling:
Analysis Plus Oval 9 Digital IC
Reality IC's from Preamp to amp
DIY 8422 IC's from DAC to Preamp
Reality Speaker Cables
Black Sand Cable Silver Ref PC's on preamp and amp
BSC Chromium on everything else.

Other:
Running Springs Audio "Haley" Power Conditioner
Dedicated power line
My room is 11x13, full treated with rigid fiberglass bass traps, lined rear wall, treatment at all primary reflective surfaces.

My office system:
Piega TS3 speakers (very tiny)
Musical Fidelity X-150 integrated amp
Yamaha cheap sub
Squeezebox 3
No IC's at the moment, so no sound... had to borrow the 8422's to use in the main system... ;)

I'm quite pleased with the sound I've got but I do have some upgrades planned.  The preamp is still breaking in a little and I plan to roll some tubes through it.  The entire audio PC will be compared to a Black Sand Cable modified Transporter.  If the Transporter sounds as good as the PC for a transport, the PC will be moved out of the sound room... removing a slight hum from the equation.

Scott Nixon is working on a new DAC that I'm in line for when ready.... it'll be a month or 2 before it's ready, though.  If I use the transporter, I can't use the USB DAC... The new DAC has coax input and balanced outputs...  So, I'm thinking of using balanced throughout the entire chain... not sure yet.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

westcoastman

Our systems
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 09:30:25 AM »
My system is a little more complex than Shep’s (not knocking Shep's) and from seeing the sophistication and devotion to some of the other systems I can see where Audio Nervosa fit’s in.

Components- Arcam Solo, Arcam DV78 DVD Player, SpeakerCraft SL 2, Mirage FRx-8S Sub, Grado SR-80 Headphones, Belkin PF30 Power Console, Motorola 6416 PVR, Sharp Aquos LC45D40 45” LCD.

Plannned upgrades… Black Sand Violet cables for the Arcam equipment and I still have not decided on Richard Gray’s RGPC 400 Pro to replace the Belkin PF30 power  console.

shep

Our systems
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 10:39:57 AM »
I was being lazy :oops: Dutch TL's, Trends T-10 "Mardis", Marantz CDP-67 modded, Solid core spkr wires à la anti-wire, DH Labs ic's. I'm awaiting a new amp, the infamously badly built Little Dot T-100 (another "Mardis" re-creation). Likewise waiting for an opamp upgrade for cdp. I would like to here Grover's cables. Otherwise nothing planned. My Nervosa is plain to see :D

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Our systems
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 10:54:25 AM »
Currently have 1 good system doing double duty - moving toward 2 different systems for HT and Music.

Preamp - Theta CasaNova for HT, Korato KVP-20 for 2 channel
Amp - Odyssey Mono Extreme SE's
DVD - Modded Panny RP91 with SDI output
(for those interested, PJ is an NEC XG135 fed RGBHV from a Key Digital HD LEEZA Scaler shooting onto a 92" 1.85:1 Stewart Studiotek 130)
Music - SB2 with Boulder power supply - upcoming digital upgrades via Boulder
DAC - MHDT Labs Paradesia
Speakers - Dynaudio Contour 3.3's, Selah SSR's
Sub - ServoDrive ContraBass via Symetrix 551E Parametric
Cabling - DIY + Harmonic Tech Pro-9
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

eric the red

Our systems
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 12:11:33 AM »
(everything purchased off Audiogon or AC):
Rega Apollo cdp
Antique Sound Lab AQ-1001DT tube integrated
Meadowlark Kestrel Hot Rods with Totem Beaks
Rega P3 with Incognito and Michell mods/Audio Technica 440MLa, Thorens Q-up
Graham Slee Amp2 SE with PSU1
PS Audio Duet power center
PS Audio  PCs
Signal Cable ICs/speaker wire

Am done for quite awhile as I really like the way recorded music sounds again on this rig. Am waaay back into listening to vinyl again. :beer:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 02:40:30 AM by eric the red »

miklorsmith

Frankenstein!
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 07:27:27 AM »
Status quo:

Transport:  Modwright Music Hall or RWA SB3
Preamp:  TacT 2.2XP
DAC for Mains:  Lessloss 2004
Bass Amp:  Crown K2
Mains Amp:  RWA Signature 70 monos or Yamamoto A-08s
Speakers:  Zu Definition Pro
Digital IC:  Generic 75-ohm coax and Ack!
Analog IC:  Zu Varial
Speaker Cables:  Zu Ibis
Power Cables:  Various by Zu, Cardas, MIT
Room and Treatments:  26x17x9 basement room, acoustically ventilated, moderately treated
Rack:  Salamander

Plan/Transition:

Inguz Room Correction
Replace TacT with to-be-determined preamp
High-pass filter between mains and subs, to be determined
EQ for subs, analog parametric, dbx pro unit

Second System:

Source:  RWA SB3 or 1984 Technics CDP (year, not model #)
Integrated Amp:  RWA modified Teac Al-700P Tripath
Speakers:  VMPS 626r or Tannoy LR8 dual-concentric monitors
Room: 40' x 23', 9-foot ceilings, suspended wood floor, no dedicated room treatments
Cabling: various

Hantra

Our systems
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 07:45:38 PM »
Hey Double, are you using a modded Squeezebox?

I've been playing with preamps too, and although the McIntosh C1000 does improve over the C2200, it's not enough.  I actually liked my system more with the 2200 than straight into the amps via the big balanced DAC with volume control.  But I am biased.  I still have an incredible level of respect and love for those Monads.  They are amazing.  

My system:

Piega C3 Limiteds
McIntosh C2200 - w/ LED kit and uber cryo'd tubes
McIntosh MC501 monoblock amps
PC with USB to I2S Nixon USBTD with upgraded power supply
Audience Au24 Speaker wire, jumpers, interconnects, and power cords
RSA Haley for the pre and DAC
My own balanced power frankenbox for the PC
Dedicated 20A lines with Wattgate 381's - One for each amp
Eighth Nerve Adapts

ipy

Our systems
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2007, 11:44:23 AM »
Source/Transport Slim Device Bolder Modified SB3
SB3 Power Supply SB 3 Bolder PS Ultimate MKII
Music Storage Seagate HD
DAC DPA Enlightment (Modded)
Pre Amp Herron VSTP-2
Power Amp Conrad Johnson Premier 350
Speakers Focus Audio FS788
Cables Cardas IC, Cardas Speaker, JPS PC, BS PC, VH PC
Others Tweaks, More Tweaks
Things I like? Musical, Transparent, Life size.
Things I don't like? Not enough time spend listening to Music, Room