Author Topic: Do you clean your ears?  (Read 17112 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Do you clean your ears?
« on: December 16, 2009, 03:43:14 PM »
I cleaned out my ears this morning. I normally do it couple times a year when I find myself in the bathtub. So I thought they were pretty clean. Didn't get much out the last few times. But this morning while showering they were a little itchy, so when I got out I stuck a Qtip in there and was surprised to see it come out pretty dirty. Aw shit, now I can't hear, all the highs are gone. It's blocked by wax that was moved around by the Qtip. No problem! I know what to do...

http://www.amazon.com/AMSINO-INTERNATIONAL-INC-BULB-SYRINGE/dp/B001B9SJX4

I filled up the sink with moderately hot soapy water, about 105F. Used a snot sucker to gently squirt it in there. After a couple shots to get the water in then I grab the ear lobe and wiggle it around, pulling and stretching the ear canal to the water can penetrate and loosen the stuff from the canal wall. Then I gently rinse it out with the syringe again. Repeat until I get the big stuff out, and then until no more comes. Usually I hear a big roar when it finally lifts out the mother lode.  I think the hotter water in the sink does a better job than the warm water in the tub. I can't handle a 105+ hottub.  I might have a different wife now if I could, but that's another story. After 2 minutes a big chunk of black wax comes out of each ear. Sorry no pictures this time. Try it yourself and post the results!

My mother in law said that when she was a young girl in 30s the doc would clean out their ears on every checkup visit. That doesn't happen anymore, so I wonder just how much shit is building up inside peoples' ears. Do the ear docs leave it in there so they can prescribe hearing aids? Is the pile of gunk hidden from view in normal otoscope exam, or do they just ignore it? I think if they can't fix something with a pill or knife then you're on your own.

Anyway, my hearing is so much improved after the cleaning. The stereo sounds so much richer, cleaner, more realistic, louder.  My wife asked me half serious, "So now you can play the stereo softer?" hardihardihar  :rofl:

Another easy way to do it is to lie down in the bathtub full of hot water with your head underwater, let the ears fill up. Use the snot sucker to gently blast out any air with a water stream. Then just let it soak and do the earlobe pulling and massage the outer ear to jiggle loose the crud.  Keep hot water in the ear by frequent rinsing. Keep it soapy to cut the stickiness and lubricate the chunk from the skin. Blast it out with the syringe. Expect large black pills to come out, not just brown flakes, especially if you haven't done it in a couple years, or ever. Do it twice a year or anytime your ear canal itches. I think the hotter water of the sink works better.

I have never tried the drugstore ear cleaning kit. It uses special drops to loosen the wax before you rinse it out with the little blue bulb.  The drops are glycerin, the same thing in plain soap, sometimes with foaming action to penetrate better. This way probably works well but you still have to rinse it out with a syringe anyway. The ear bulb syringe (snot sucker) holds a couple ounces of water.

It's gross, but true.  Listening to music requires a physical body and it can be optimized for max listening performance.  Try it! You'll be glad you did.

Anybody ever hear of ear candling? Back in the 80s you could buy ear candles from any god new age freak shop, but too many people caught their hair on fire, so no more ear candles. I bought some, but too afraid to try it with my wife as helper.  It sends hot air down into the ear canal and sucks out the melted ear wax at the same time.

bacobits

Re: Do you clean your ears?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 03:58:38 PM »
"Snot Sucker"  :rofl:
I have not taken a bath in 20 yeras!  :oops:

OK, lets clarify that. Q tips every day.

D

Phil

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 07:19:24 PM »
Rich,

Some folks are sensitive to the hot water treatment and it can cause an imbalance in the ear for many days.  I'm not sure how one finds out without trying, but my Dad had a nasty time of it with water that was too hot.  When I did a little research, I found that moderate temperatures are best.

Just thought I'd mention for some who might want to try this themselves. 

Offline Bill O'Connell

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 10:17:52 PM »
Am I using this correctly?
 When I stuck it up my ass and squeezed the warm water shot out both my ears.
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 03:16:50 AM »
Q-tips regularly, bulb syringe occasionally (yes warm not hot water recommended, repeat several times if needed).  Tried the drug store solution once (with this you must keep it in for several minutes), but the warm/soapy water flushing works just as well.

Ear protection is a great way to prevent permanent damage.  Now when I get off the mower I can still hear (before everything was muted for several minutes, that scared me).

Public service warnings:

Extended exposure to 107 degrees or higher will cause burns.

Extended exposure to (constant) 85 dB or higher will result in permanent hearing loss and possible permanent pain.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 05:28:43 AM »
I use the ocean.  When I go surfing/playing in the ocean during the summer every year, I tend to get whacked up side the head by a wave at least a few times on both sides.  That is also when I get a thorough sinus cleaning.. as the water gets up my nose and into my sinuses while I'm upside down in the water.

I learned of this cleaning ability one year when I was walking back to the house after surfing with my wife.  It looked like I had a big corkscrew coming out of my ear.. My wife is forever grossed out about this. ;)  Since then I've made sure I get my ear-cleaning ocean time in.. ha.

The hot water treatment sounds much gentler... I may give that a try for the 'off season'. ;)

I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 06:15:37 AM »
Of course hot means different things to different people. I did not measure the temperature. It was probably 98.6 and since I'm cold blooded, it felt hot to me...

Good to know you guys are aware of good ear hygiene!

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 08:31:54 AM »
Rich's comments on ear candles brought back some memories and got me googling...

Check this out... http://www.kombucha2000.com/earcone.html

Deton Nation

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 08:37:28 AM »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 08:50:31 AM »
Wow Mike, you don't look anything like what I was picturing in my mind. A little gel for spikes and it would make a great new look for da'yoots.

I know you have good ear hygiene because ear wax is almost as fun to play with as boogers.

Deton Nation

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 09:11:36 AM »
lol

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 11:26:28 AM »

My doctor uses a waterpik. works wonders....seriously

"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline richidoo

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 12:19:58 PM »
Wow, that is cool. How exactly does he do it?

Offline rlmacklin

• Certifiable
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 01:17:12 PM »
The "drugstore" ear cleaning solution is likely glycerin mixed with hydrogen peroxide or similar (for the foaming action).
I use that and the blue rubber bulb syringe rinse with warm - not hot! - water at home at least every couple months or so.

I have heard (yes, pun intended) that around 10% of individuals have genetic predisposition to more and different type of earwax that leads to more clogs.  My mother has this type of ear wax and got the warm/hot water rinse from a "giant metal syringe" at nearly every doctor appointment in years past.
Perhaps the genetic predisposition is passed on via the maternal DNA (as Rich indicates his mother apparently had problems with ear wax accumulation...)?

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 01:36:18 PM »
Wow, that is cool. How exactly does he do it?

No different than using it in your mouth
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube