Author Topic: CES 2010 - Who's going and what do you want to hear or see?  (Read 15323 times)

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: CES 2010 - Who's going and what do you want to hear or see?
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2010, 05:32:10 PM »
Hello from Las Vegas! 

I only made it through the rooms at the venetian today.  I'm hoping to get to the conevention center itself tomorrow.  Attendance isn't too crazy, but certain rooms were always jammed.  lines to go up and down elevators, etc.  started a bit slow this morning but got a lot busier as the day went on.

There is a LOT of *reaaaaaaaally* bad sound here, even for a show.  Some truly god awful bad sound that ran me out of the room in under a minute.

I've been looking for more reasonably priced gear... so if something was pricey, it had to really blow me away to hold my attention...  most everything failed miserably at that...

Best PRAT I heard so far:  Coincident Technology.  I was really impressed with the room and haven't heard their speakers much in the past.  Not perfect at all, but very good.  I'm going to go back for another listen to this room.

NAD M2 digital amp?  Not for me...

Usher introduced a new tweeter, which is a drop in replacement for the beryllium alloy tweeter.  It's another alloy material.  They are calling it Diamond.  It's a diamond and alloy composite.  They will be offering them in all their current beryllium model speakers.  Existing beryllium tweeter equipped Usher owners can buy these tweeters and swap them in and out depending on your mood and preference.  Initial listening was even more impressive than the current beryllium based units.  A little more laid back and smoother.  I really liked the Mini 1 units with this new tweeter.  Not 100% sure, but the Be-718 will change crossover with the Diamond model even though not necessary since Diamond tweeter is direct drop in replacement.  But they wanted to make a change to it.  Prices are likely to go up a bit because these tweeters are more expensive to manufacture. 

Most amazing demo that shouldn't do what it does...  Acoustic Art room treatments.  Insane how much it affects things.  MUST be heard to be believed.  Also met the biggest jackass of a press member in this room.  They need a new word other than jackass for this guy.

I really liked the TAD demo room... way too much money in there, but sound was good.  better than some of the other suites. 

Sony speaker in IsoMike room was surprisingly good.  No idea what it costs.  Just poked in for a minute because I was curious they were demoing with a Sony speaker. 

PrimaLuna... meh... not offensive, but not wow worthy.  I thought I would be more impressed given all the ravings of the press.  I was going to buy some of these even if I wasn't a dealer if they wow'ed me.  I satisfied my curiousity.  It would likely be better in non-show conditions and they are built extremely well.  Oh well...

PS Audio... new prototype amp playing...  was surprisingly good.  First time I've actually liked Maggies.  They were using 3.6s.  It had good diffusion treatments in the room.  One of the better sounds I heard.  I liked the DAC.

Vandersteen 7s.... not impressed at all.  Heard them in two rooms and left both wondering what the heck the big deal is?  I wouldn't own them based on those two demos.  It had to be issues with the room or other equipment

lots more... just stopping by before heading out for dinner and shows...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 08:14:40 PM by hometheaterdoc »
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2010, 06:36:26 PM »
Thanks for the update!  Sounds like fun.. :)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2010, 09:40:32 AM »
I think Tiger is safer sticking with what he knows.  :yay2: Audio would push a perfectionist like him over the edge.

Thanks for the report Shane!!!

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2010, 08:59:04 AM »
A couple more random thoughts from CES:

3D video was everywhere.... and it's awful..... it's going to fail and I will NEVER own a single product.  JVCs version of it was the least offensive.  Panasonics version gave me a headache in under 30 seconds.  It actually made Melissa vomit she got so sick trying to watch it.  None of it was good.  I'm sooooo glad we haven't gone to Avatar in 3D yet.  I'm not seeing it that way.

I spent time in the greatest massage chair I've ever used at this show... stupid expensive, but I just may have to get one.  I'll be doing more exploration on this one as I'm not convinced about the company yet without more research.... but wow was it really, really, really good. 

LG of all people were introducing new high end speakers and subwoofer using Vifa dual ring tweeter and Scanspeak revelator midrange and midbass drivers, along with kevlar bass drivers.  They were powering it out in their huge booth with their budget all in one blu-ray player/receiver combo.  They looked interesting and the sound really wasn't bad.

All the new 2010 plasmas with the infinite black filter were very nice.  People were going nuts over the ultra thin LED LCD units... but they still weren't as good as plasma.  The 480Hz refresh LCD they were showing did finally address the motion blur issues that drive me batty with LCD and cause me to bad mouth LCD to anyone that will listen :)

The JVC 4K projector was very nice...as well it should be for $175K MSRP. 

I had multiple very long conversations with the Perreaux guys about their DAC card in the Eloquence integrated amplifiers as well as where they are heading with regard to distributed digital media.  Their 250i integrated powering the Harbeth Monitor 40.1s was very nice.  Alan Shaw from Harbeth did a number of changes throughout the show when I stopped into the room on my way somewhere else.  He stuffed the ports, played with positioning, etc. etc.  Really changed the character of the speaker.

I spent a little more time in the Usher room and played my test disc on the Mini 2 speaker with the new Diamond tweeters.  It was a very familiar sound:  All JPS Labs cabling, Belles VT-01 preamp, MB-01 class A monoblocks, and the Ushers.  The new tweeters are going to be interesting.  I'll talk to you local guys more about this when I get back.  I will say this:  My test disc was filled with some audiophile approved tracks, and then a bunch of stuff that I like to listen to where the audio quality is not up to snuff at all.  But I love the music.  One of those tracks is from The Tragically Hip off their second album Up to Here.  Track 3 - New Orleans is Sinking.  Recording quality is awful, but it's got such a great driving beat and rhythm that I love to hear what other systems do with it.  Anyways, I learned that the US distributors are huge Hip fans when I played that cut.  Stan's seen them 5 times in concert.  He had to come sit next to me and listen when this came on.  We cleared the room of a few pretentious people, but by the end of the song it got filled up by passer-bys who stopped in to hear rock played at a bit too elevated level.  On this setup of gear, it was the best sounding of any system that let me play my disc.  It reminded me of why I like the Usher sound so much.

I stopped back to the Coincident Speaker room.  I really liked the Super Victory speaker they had playing with their amps and preamp.  Really great detail and the ribbon they used was not a typical ribbon that has all the detail but none of the drive and impact.  One of the better rooms I heard all show.

more later... someone is claiming we need to go get breakfast....
Shane Sangster

Bigfish8

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2010, 09:28:05 AM »
Shane:

I have seen Avatar in 3D twice and it it totally awesome.  Both times I was there the theater was full of folks and the 3D seemed to have no negative effect on anyone.  Over on AC many guys have seen the movie and all claim it is the best 3D they have ever seen. 

I do find your comments about the upcoming 3D home products to be interesting.  These gadgets are supposed the be the big must have items for the Christmas Season of 2010.  I, for one, will not purchase any of these first edition products because I have been burnt in the past.  The prices will be lower and quality better for those who wait!

Ken

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2010, 10:17:02 AM »
Shane:

I have seen Avatar in 3D twice and it it totally awesome.  Both times I was there the theater was full of folks and the 3D seemed to have no negative effect on anyone.  Over on AC many guys have seen the movie and all claim it is the best 3D they have ever seen. 

I went to this a few weeks ago at a crap theater (SouthPoint Hotel / LasVegas) and thought it was amazing in 3D. The place was packed and it was the first time I have experienced an entire theater clap at the end of the movie. I have heard about it happening but that was my first and only time where it happened at a show I attended.

Awesome movie that rocked in 3D!

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2010, 12:38:20 PM »
I've seen it in 2D...  it's a very good movie...  but I believe they use the shutter style glasses for this one... that's the one that gave me a severe headache and make Melissa sick.  I honestly haven't followed all the 3-D tech lately.  I've hated every version of 3-D I've seen to date.  So I was procrastinating until real product was shipping before looking much at the new stuff. 

One other product that was on display that is going to do interesting things:  Clear 4G wireless internet service.  They obviously beefed things up for the show.  But sustained speeds were really good.  It might make me drop Time Warner Cable modem if I get similar response once they launch in RDU area.

Highlights of the trip so far foodwise: 

a) The veal special at Bouchon in the Venetian... I like veal but also end up disappointed 99% of the time because most places completely ruin it...  not here... by a wiiiiiiiiide margin, the greatest veal dish I've ever had.  We sold 10 of them to people who sat down after us at other adjacent tables and they all had the exact same reaction.

b) The hot cinnamon sugar donuts with chocolate and strawberry toppings at Bouchon this morning at breakfast.  Somewhat simple.... but insanely good...

c) the blanco mac & cheese side dish at Beso, Eva Longoria's new restaurant in City Center.  They destroyed my steak, but this impulse order will make me go back to the restaurant next time I'm in town.  I'll just better explain how to cook a steak next time.
Shane Sangster

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2010, 02:31:48 PM »
I've seen a few 3D movies in the past but found them quite painful to watch.  Not so with Avatar!  This movie was just totally over the top in 3D.  My daughter, who has serious eyesite problems that require a lot of correction, came away with a slight headache but still absolutely loved it and went back to see it again two days later.

If Avatar is a sign of things to come, then it will definitely be the revival of big screen theaters.   It made a believer out of me :thumb: :thumb: