Author Topic: CES 2010 - Who's going and what do you want to hear or see?  (Read 15358 times)

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: CES 2010 - Who's going and what do you want to hear or see?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 08:31:48 AM »
I'm still waffling as to whether I'll go out to the show or not.  I'd love to go but it would be purely for CES and to do some networking as I literally just got back last week from 5 days in Vegas with the wife doing shows, eating way too much, etc.  (Loved Emeril's at the MGM by the way).

We went to see the cirque show KA.  Quite a production though a bit on the bizarre side.  We also saw Penn and Teller and had great seats in the 3rd row. 

Where is everyone staying?  Looks like Hooters is nicely priced, close to the all day stops, and close to the monorail.  Add in $3 blackjack tables and it sounds like a great place to be.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 08:44:38 AM »
Yes we did. Dennis played the new remastered version of Abbey Road.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2009, 10:54:20 AM »
Rich,

The Love 2 LP set is available from Chad Kassem if you are interested:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/36570/The_Beatles-Love-180_Gram_Vinyl_LP

I had a similar internet experience. I took my scout troop to West Point for their annual scout camp-o-ree and while we were there I saw another troop with this really nice screen-house. I ask the Scoutmaster where they got it and he told mer at Dick". Well. at the time there were no Dick's stores within about a 3 hour drive from Long Island. He told me "No  problem you can order it from their on-line store which is www. dicks.com Little did I know that the correct site was www.dickssportinggoods.com. Imagine my surprise when I went to the like he originally gave me. You just can't be too careful on the internet these days. There's all kinds of weirdos out there (present company included, of course.)   aa

Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2009, 11:50:10 AM »
Hooters has a hotel??  :shock: 

Can you say "room service?"   :yay2:

Thanks for the tip Bryan. I was wondering where you were.

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2009, 12:23:04 PM »
I wish I had a video camera for the look I got when I suggested staying at Hooters... for its cheap price and convenient location of course....  We're staying at the Mirage for the first couple nights because it's across the street basically from the Venetian and it makes going to "Love" super easy :)  We're then staying at the new condo place Vdara for the remaining time we're out there... cheapest of the nice hotels by quite a margin... still nowhere near like the rates I get when I stay in the crappy fleabags... but I have a feeling since it's a brand new hotel that it will be a much nicer place to sleep...

I saw Ka the last time I was out there... it was very good but I preferred "Le Reve" by quite a margin... Ka didn't wow me as much as I thought it would... the moving stage thing was cool though... We had dinner at Emeril's Fish House that night and honestly, it was the worst dining experience I've ever had in Vegas... even worse than the cheap buffets... food was bad and not cooked properly, service was beyond awful, it took almost an hour and a half after ordering to get our entree, very noisy, they lost our reservations so we had to wait a while to be seated... we almost missed Ka as a result... come to think of it... maybe that was why I'm not as high on Ka... I was still steaming over the crappy meal....

Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline richidoo

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2009, 02:08:11 PM »
So what exactly do you mean by flea bag hotels? Bellagio? Four Seasons? I know your taste Mr Sangster.

I looked up Hooters, about $80/night for that weekend. That's cheaper than special RMAF rate at Denver Tech. Is there a bus that goes up and down the strip to get to and from the show? How close is it to CES high end audio and THE show? 

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2009, 03:47:38 PM »
If I went by myself and wanted to splurge, I'd stay at Terrible's... usually $29 a night and walkable distance up the street to the convention center to the north or to T.H.E. Show and Alexis Park...  but I've stayed in some Super8 style places way off the strip as well if I was renting a car to save on cab fares and monorail prices...  I just looked and Terrible's want $79 a night for the thursday, friday, etc. dates of the show... waaaaay too much for that place... it seems they got expensive...  I'd rather stay at Hooters for $80...

Even if they aren't running buses, etc. to other stuff, the monorail runs right behind the Venetian and over to the Convention Center...  I use the monorail a lot while in Vegas if I haven't rented a car...... day passes are very much worth it if you are up and down the strip a lot....
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline richidoo

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2009, 05:41:35 PM »
Thanks Shane. Good info!

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2009, 06:20:46 PM »
From Hooters, you can walk across the street to the MGM and catch the monorail down to the other end where the show is. Or, you can catch the deuce bus for $7, unlimited rides for a 24 hour period.  Goes to all the strip hotels.

Sorry to hear about your experience at Emerils.  Our food was absolutely fabulous.  I had the blue cheese encrusted strip steak.  Sue had the smaller tasting menu.  All of it was great.  Probably the best meal we had the whole trip.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

AcidJazz

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2009, 10:40:53 PM »
I hope to be there and see and hear everything.
Yeah rite.  :lol:

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2010, 01:15:51 PM »
Has anybody else heard any feedback on this show yet? I have talked to a half dozen or some manufactures over the last few days and each and everyone of them is coming back saying the show is a dud.

No crowds, no big lines no nothing.

Curious as to if this is true or not? Wouldn't surprise if it was.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2010, 01:28:56 PM »
Registration for the main show is 113k similar to last year. But no word yet about the audio portions.  Stereophile blog is eerily silent. Normally they like to brag up being there.  Shane arrived yesterday, hopefully he brought his iPhone to submit his field reports...  ;) 

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2010, 02:01:34 PM »
Registration for the main show is 113k similar to last year. But no word yet about the audio portions.  Stereophile blog is eerily silent. Normally they like to brag up being there.  Shane arrived yesterday, hopefully he brought his iPhone to submit his field reports...  ;) 
I was so aggravated to find the first 5 or so posts in the Stereophile show report showing a $26k Boulder CDP, $9k Bladelius CDP, $10k Ayre DX-5 DVD/CDP, $25k EMM SDX1 CDP, $26.5k TAD CDP.  Geez, who can really buy this stuff?  Someone must be, since it just keeps coming, but I guess I live in an alternate universe.
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

Bigfish8

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2010, 03:36:02 PM »
I was so aggravated to find the first 5 or so posts in the Stereophile show report showing a $26k Boulder CDP, $9k Bladelius CDP, $10k Ayre DX-5 DVD/CDP, $25k EMM SDX1 CDP, $26.5k TAD CDP.

Who are those guys trying to impress?  Tiger Woods! :rofl:

Ken

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2010, 04:48:33 PM »

Who are those guys trying to impress?  Tiger Woods! :rofl:

Ken

God knows he has the money and from all accounts, he has some free time on his hands so maybe he will use it to get into audio versus getting into anything with two legs!  :duh

(Yes...I know, my bad but I couldn't help myself.....just like Tiger couldn't)  :rofl: