Author Topic: CES 2010 - Who's going and what do you want to hear or see?  (Read 15357 times)

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
CES 2010 - Who's going and what do you want to hear or see?
« on: December 08, 2009, 06:46:12 AM »
I convinced the better half to give up what I considered a mind-numbingly boring vacation get away.  In exchange, we're going to Las Vegas..... conveniently at the exact same time that CES is going on in January..... and she even got on board with me attending the show during the day..... of course it's costing me in activities for her and lots of fancy hotel rooms, fancy dinners, and shows.... I'm fine with the good food.  But I usually stay in a dive off the strip to save money on the hotel...

Anyways, my time is going to be very limited at the show.  I have a few specific goals to accomplish at the show of what I want to see and hear, as well as some face to face time I want to get with a few individuals.

Who's going and what are your plans?
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: CES 2010 - Who's going and what do you want to hear or see?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 07:15:33 AM »
I'd like to go sometime, but not this year.

You're gonna have fun!

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 08:00:59 AM »
I convinced the better half to give up what I considered a mind-numbingly boring vacation get away.  In exchange, we're going to Las Vegas..... conveniently at the exact same time that CES is going on in January..... and she even got on board with me attending the show during the day..... of course it's costing me in activities for her and lots of fancy hotel rooms, fancy dinners, and shows.... I'm fine with the good food.  But I usually stay in a dive off the strip to save money on the hotel...

Anyways, my time is going to be very limited at the show.  I have a few specific goals to accomplish at the show of what I want to see and hear, as well as some face to face time I want to get with a few individuals.

Who's going and what are your plans?

Shane when are going?

Offline bmr3hc

• Certifiable
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 08:14:10 AM »
Those of us who want to but cannot, will have to live vicariously through you at the show. So please take it as much as possible for our sake!!

Henry
"If music be the food of love, play on."  Shakespeare

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 12:50:23 PM »
anything in particular folks are wanting to check out?  A lot of folks are skipping CES this year.  I have a feeling it's going to be a lightly attended show given how easy it is to get tickets and dinner reservations during my planning right now...

but I'm still making a list of manufacturers I want to visit with while I'm there.  I can check out some stuff if folks want me to look in on something for them....
Shane Sangster

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 12:57:34 PM »
If I were going, I would try to hear these products - if they are there.

Pass Class A amps
Legacy Focus HD speakers
Lotus Group Grenada open baffle speaker
Channel Island D200mk2 amps
AR Ref 5 preamp
Wilson Alexandria speakers
SimAudio DAC

Wish I could go...

Offline bmr3hc

• Certifiable
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 07:25:55 PM »
Shane, check out Ayre latest CD and DAC, if there.

Henry
"If music be the food of love, play on."  Shakespeare

Offline richidoo

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 05:36:31 AM »
Shane are you hitting T.H.E. Show too?

This morning I asked Julie if could go, she said OK, but I'm not sure it's worth it to me to go this year. I will try to make the AXPONA show in March, but it will be much smaller.

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 08:39:57 AM »
Rich,

I'm planning to hit T.H.E. Show as well... it's going to be a lot of travelling back and forth... audio at the venetian, a quick zoom around the convention center for the big boys and the video stuff, then hit T.H.E. Show for more audio stuff...  flights are stupid cheap at the moment.  the most expensive part of it will be food and a hotel if you stay at a nice place... you can find cheap places if all you plan to do is plant your head on the pillow for a few hours... she wanted fancy, so I'm paying a lot more...

Shane
Shane Sangster

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 09:33:32 AM »
Hmmmm.... now you got me thinking. But I'm on a strict spending freeze until GodzillaOTUS is slain. As Rob S. says, anything goes as long as "no new money!"  :thumb:

Don't forget a little blackjack, and you gotta see Donny and Marie?

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 10:02:36 AM »
Thank heavens she's not a Donny and Marie fan... I think she's still ticked off he won the dancing show on TV...  We won't be hitting Donny and Marie's show while there... Doing "Love" at The Mirage as I haven't seen that Cirque yet.  We're also hitting "Le Reve" again (at least again for me) as it's my favorite of all the cirque like shows I've seen out there.  Everyone I've spoken with seems to think O is better.... I didn't think so, but I'll let her decide for herself as I think that is going to be our 3rd show we see.  I think we're going to skip all the magic shows and comedy shows and just see the big production ones.  The rest of the money will be spent on food....  lots of good food...

Forget about everything else... people should go to Vegas for the food.  While it's not the same as travelling to France and having the real thing in the country itself, the quality of French food from a number of places is top shelf out there.  Same goes for just about any genre of food you are interested in.  It's not quite the same as finding that small hole in the wall place yourself, but in totality, there is so much choice and so much overall quality that it's really something else....
Shane Sangster

Offline richidoo

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 10:45:55 AM »
shep says the food in France is a myth.

I haven't been to Vegas since 84, but the food at Caesar's was awesome even back then. John Medeski started calling me Morris when he saw me picking walnuts out of my scrumpdelyicious best in the world coffee cake. Back then we saw Andy Gibb on stage, and there was a Porsche Indy Car in the lobby and I rode in the elevator by myself with Larry Holmes and his cadre.  :shock:

Julie saw Love and "loved" it. Supposed to be great.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 12:01:22 PM »
If you haven't seen the TV special on the making of "Love" do try and catch it. It was an excellent show. It is also available on DVD. With a little bit of luck you might be able to get it from your local library.

I also think the soundtrack was very well done, both from a sound and an artistic basis. I am usually not a big soundtrack nor compilation guy, but this CD is one of my top of the pile discs. It is a fresh new look at some great old music and has a very enjoyable flow to it. (Believe it or not I actually passed on the vinyl of this because I thought that having to flip the records would break the flow. Anyway, if I really wanted to hear the best vinyl sound I can always go back to the original LPs.

BTW, I heard a rumor that the entire Beatles remastered catalog would be released on vinyl thiscoming spring. (180 or 200 gram discs, I hope....) Has anyone else heard anything similar?
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 12:08:49 PM »
The CDs are out now, but I have not been following the LPs.

I googled "the making of Love" I got some interesting hits!   :rofl:

It's called "All Together Now,"  2006
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLPsSlpDzuY

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 08:15:05 AM »
tmazz didn't we listen to the Beatles CDs at Dennis's  friday ?

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.