Author Topic: Merciless or Merciful- System 'Accuracy' vs Listenability  (Read 26121 times)

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Merciless or Merciful- System 'Accuracy' vs Listenability
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2009, 04:20:38 PM »
Finally, I have a tracking #, and the Zu Definitions should be here by 12/28/09.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Bigfish8

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2009, 06:28:59 PM »
I turn the lights off, see the glow of 12 tubes from my amp, and things always sound and feel better.

Henry

Ah, the soft, warm glow of tubes in a dark room with beautiful music playing!  It really does not get much better. :thumb:

Ken

Offline James Edward

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2009, 06:50:05 PM »
So... I got my Definition 2's on Dec.23. I wanted to wait until they had some hours on them before commenting. I'll start off by saying that break-in is a major factor with these. The Zu website says as much, but I always figure that's just a ploy, and what you're really doing is getting used to the new sound... I stand corrected.
When I first listened, I was not at all impressed. The highs were too prominent, the mids too recessed and thin; only the bass seemed good to start.
I have been trying to put hours on these, and today, at over 30 hours of fairly loud (90-95db) playing, they are performing exactly as Zu states in the manual. The bass has gone deeper, the mids are coming out of hiding and fleshing out, and the treble is smoothing out.
I am now looking forward to what another full day of break-in will bring.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2009, 07:55:21 AM »
Congratulations James.  I think you have many happy hours of listening ahead of you.  What amplifier are you using on the tops?

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2009, 08:18:08 AM »
James good luck with the Zu. If you would like to break them in a bit faster. Place them face to face about an inch or two apart .Wire one speaker out of phase cover with some blankets pump up the volume and let them sing for 48 hrs. It takes about 30 hours just for the solder joints alone to break in. metal tweeters and crossover components about 200 hours.It only gets better. Is a SET in your future ? 

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline James Edward

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2009, 11:10:08 AM »
I am using a Moscode 401HR amplifier and a Primaluna Prologue Three preamp. The extreme low end
(16-40Hz) is handled by the internal amp of the Zu's.
I have heard about the out of phase break-in method, but these weigh about 100lbs each, and I want them to be in place when I want to listen. Pity the dog- he is home while they are being run-in.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2009, 11:31:48 AM »
Cool. I undertand completely. That moscode is a very nice piece. We have a lock we have tubes. FIRE! enjoy

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2009, 01:41:37 PM »
I had a Moscode 600 which gave me lots of listening pleasure for over 20 years. (My 16 year-old son is actually in the process of kidnapping it for use in his new system) I have never had the oportunity to hear any of George's new designs first hand. But from everything I read they are a significant step up from the old NYAL Moscodes which is a pretty high benchmark to begin with.

Happy Listening

Tom
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Bill O'Connell

• http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2009, 03:20:34 PM »
It's funny, over the many years I've had both and appreciated each for what they did respectively.If I had to choose,which I have done, again over the years( that is the key :rofl:) is to put together the system that achieves exactly what I crave in my music when I sit down to chill out.I definitely am in the tube camp,call me biased,I don't care, it brings the goods, a little harmonic distortion is what I enjoy. That being said, whatever does it for you and your taste in music, heck, you know what you like, try to create it and don't give a second thought to another's opinion. Your the one sitting in the sweet spot. I do recommend not being stubborn minded and thinking this is the pinnacle.There is always room for improvement somewhere in the chain.Set a price that will not cause anyone to question(submit wife's name here) and try and put it all together under budget. The nice thing about age is that you probably have your system pretty much set in stone, a change to one piece that doesn't quite stand up to the standard the others have set if you can with out disrupting the harmony of the music and your spouse is all that really matters.
 If you're blessed enough to pass your components on to another who just doesn't have the means too, well, you in your end days will be thought of as a kind & generous person. You may not be able to hear the kind accolades others have spoken on your behalf but you will rest in peace knowing you did your best.What more can a man ask for?

I'm sorry for getting off topic :D

Love is the answer,
 Bill
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline richidoo

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2009, 03:50:21 PM »
Love is the answer

That's the only topic that matters Bill..... and why we're all here!

bacobits

« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2009, 05:30:54 PM »
Don't forget clean ears.  :rofl:

D

Offline James Edward

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2011, 01:44:30 PM »
I am going to revive this thread because I finally have what I've been looking for...

The Zu Definitions were too aggressive sounding and they went back. I decided to simplify my system, but not at the expense of sound quality.
I am currently very very happy with my system as it now stands:

Acoustic Zen Crescendo speakers
LSA Signature Integrated amplifier
Bryston BCD-1 CD player

And last but not least, I recently added KCI Silkworm+ interconnects between the CD and amp.
This was the icing on the cake- a VERY sweet treble, and I want to listen for days.
The sound is extraordinarily organic, grainless, and fatigue-free.
I had a party several weeks ago, and got numerous unsolicited compliments on the sound.
These came from non-audiophiles; just music lovers.
Thanks for reading...
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline richidoo

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2011, 01:49:31 PM »
Congrats James! A long journey, but it sounds like it was worth it.

djbnh has the Omen Defs, he says they take a very long time to break in, several hundred hours +.

I wasn't familiar with your amp so I looked it up: http://www.thelsagroup.com/signatureamp.html

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2011, 02:08:37 PM »
Cool!  That is a great place to be, James.
BTW, there was some talk about the KCI Silkworm's going on tour.. whatever happened with that?
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2011, 07:57:48 AM »
I am currently very very happy with my system as it now stands:

Acoustic Zen Crescendo speakers
LSA Signature Integrated amplifier
Bryston BCD-1 CD player

Jim,

I'm glad to see that you have found "inner peace" with your system. It is a great place to be and unfortunately too many of us spend too little time there.

Now you can turn all that nervous energy towards something else, like hunting down new music.  :drool: (I still need to get to that new used record store out your way  :roll:

Hey, when you listed your current system components you did not list the VPI.  :-k

In your quest for simplification have you given up on vinyl as well?

Tom
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables