Author Topic: Merciless or Merciful- System 'Accuracy' vs Listenability  (Read 26093 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Merciless or Merciful- System 'Accuracy' vs Listenability
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 09:24:17 PM »
I agree with acidjazz that enjoyment is in the realm of the listener. I was not trying advocate voicing of a system in a particular way. However every piece of equipment (and by extension every combination of pieces) has a certain set of strengths and weaknesses. My point is that enjoyment can be maximized if you can pick equipment that emphasizes strengths that are important give what you like to listen to and ideally had weakness that would not significantly detract from the enjoyment of that same type of music. This is not to say that the system would sound bad playing a different type of music or that you should have several system each dedicated to a specific type of music. My point is simply that you should optimize the system around the tasks that it will be doing most often. (and if you listen to a wide variety of music you can optimize a system around that as well by picking a set of equipment that has a more homogeneous quality level across all of the audio characteristics as opposed to stuff that id outstanding at something while being mediocre at others). We spend all kinds of time talking about synergy between different hardware components, what I am simply suggesting is that in the same way you can find a synergy between that components you choose and your music collection (or at least musical tastes.)

In the long run it is not really about what is "better", but rather what make you the happiest, even if that is not "as good" in someone else's eyes. 
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline bmr3hc

• Certifiable
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2009, 06:00:07 AM »
12 years ago I had nearly 1500 CD's. Most were not well recorded. I am now down to about 900 or less. I either threw them out or gave them away. At this point, on my audio nervosa journey, I do not want to hear/listen to bad recordings. There is not enough time left in the day to waste listening to bad recordings. Its worst than going to a movie hoping its going to be good, only to find out you wasted 2 hours on a bad movie you paid for! A good audio system will make the bad recording sound just as bad as they are. However, when I listen to well recorded music it involves me as a listener to the point of pure enjoyment. When I cannot get to a live performance, which is preferred, its the next best thing to being there. Give me  100 well recorded CD's and I am a happy camper. Of my 900 CD's most are ok, few left are bad but only about 25 are well recorded. Hmmm, could there a new topic of best recording you cannot live without?

Henry
"If music be the food of love, play on."  Shakespeare

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2009, 06:18:38 AM »
Henry, I did that with vinyl about 10 years ago and need to do the same with CDs.  Since I've ripped them, my wife is wanting me to get rid of them, but the truth is, they still sound better from my transport than via my squeezebox.   

I think what I'll do is cull out all the best recorded CDs and keep them readily available and either store, sell or give away the rest.   The trick is that I haven't been nearly as methodical about categorizing the best recordings on CD as I once did with vinyl.   Guess I'll have to listen to them all again at least once.  :duh

Offline bmr3hc

• Certifiable
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2009, 07:46:37 AM »
I have a few that I marked "reference" from way back. These were those that I would play when I would audition new equipment for possible purchase. I wish I had better kept mine categorized as well. Now when I look for them, I spend too much time looking through all my CD's here, there and everywhere. A must have for any collection, IMHO, is " The Girl From Ipanema, The Antonio Carlos Jobim Songbook", the Verve label. One of the few various artists CD that is very good.

Henry

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2009, 02:29:47 PM »
Agreed.  Kind of both.  I have recordings that I listen to and use as tools for evaluation.  I also have lots of relatively poorly recorded music that I just enjoy listening to.  My goal is to have a system that lets a good recording shine but doesn't drive me out of the room when listening to something that's not very well done.

Bryan

I couldn't have said it better myself Bryan. I love a bunch of stuff from the 80's and I'm sure you know the "quality" of the recordings from back then  :shock: , but I still love spinning those 80's discs!! I love music and have noticed that over time my system has gotten more musical and less HiFi sounding re; ice pick to the ear!

John

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2009, 09:53:12 PM »
Henry,

Just curious, how many of those "evaluation" discs do you pull out to listen to for pure musical enjoyment? It is kind of a catch 22 for us as audiophiles that much of the best sounding recordings are very weak from a musical standpoint and some of the best music is sonic trash. I guess that is one of the things that keeps us combing the record and CD bin, hoping we can find a disc that can shine from both of those perspectives.) This sounds strange to many people, but I actually at time look forward to getting a bad cold because it clogs up my ears, which has the unintended benefit of making some of my favorite old records enjoyable because I can't hear how poorly the sound.Since the cold makes my system sound bad, I take the opportunity to revisit some old favorite recording that I wouldn't be able to stand if I could hear what they actually sound like. (Hows that for turning lemons into lemonade?)
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline bmr3hc

• Certifiable
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2009, 08:48:16 PM »
Actually I always go back to these few when I am trying new equipment and for the joy of it all. My problem is they are so few. I can hum them in my sleep. I agree that often it is a catch 22 situation for me, as well, as I continue to look for really good recordings. I used to try and get the " records to die 4" in the jazz, classical and rock category. After the first 5 or so arrived, I quickly realized that I did not like 3 out of the 5. Well recorded, just did not like the music. When I really like the music, but the recording is not great, I turn the lights off, see the glow of 12 tubes from my amp, and things always sound and feel better.

Henry

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2009, 03:31:10 AM »
Since I've ripped them, my wife is wanting me to get rid of them, but the truth is, they still sound better from my transport than via my squeezebox.

You're a rare bird, to both rip and spin and prefer the spin (I've ripped and am now back to 100% spinning).  Have you considered having Wayne at Bolder Cable mod your Duet?  (I had another popular guy mod by SB3 but wasn't all that impressed, even compared to an Oppo DV-970HD.)  I was fascinated with the technology and the thought of pure armchair control, but couldn't take the glitches (some of which due to the mods) that kept coming up and could take days to stumble upon a "fix".  But if you're more computer savvy the Duet is a very attractive route.  And from the reviews should provide very good sound.

shep

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2009, 03:55:50 AM »
We'll always be at the mercy of the recording equipment and the engineers, to say nothing of cd-making-of process. By which you will gather that I don't do that funny stuff with computers and streaming (the word makes me want to pee) Alas I build my system around the few recordings that are "real stereo" and really fine and try to keep from grinding my teeth with the others and hear the music. I was listening to a Mozart recording last night...the orchestra was about 300 feet in the back and the piano was in my living room. Jeezus!!!  With John's cables I hear stuff that makes me wish I could go back to my first boom box.

Offline bmr3hc

• Certifiable
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2009, 04:46:31 AM »

I am on my way to ordering Zu Audio Definition Mk2 speakers- my feeling is that full range large drivers may have a less clinical sound more to my liking. If not, they have a 60 day audition policy.

Anyway, I am curious as to what other members think.
James

Have the Zu Audio Definition speakers arrived yet?

Henry

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2009, 02:17:38 PM »
Henry,
No, they haven't arrived yet... This is my first time ordering a 'custom made' piece of audio gear, and the wait is a killer. Should be 2-3 more weeks.
As soon as they arrive, I'll post my initial impressions.

As an aside, my Arcam CD192 has developed some technical problems, so I replaced it with a Marantz SA-8003. I'll at least have some time to acclimate to the new player so I can better judge the speakers. Initial reaction to the Marantz is very favorable.

Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline bmr3hc

• Certifiable
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2009, 08:15:19 PM »
Great James. Some pics would be great too when the speakers arrive.

Henry

Offline richidoo

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2009, 08:44:09 PM »
Zu paint jobs are always impressive. Bring on the pics!

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2009, 06:53:40 AM »
We'll always be at the mercy of the recording equipment and the engineers, to say nothing of cd-making-of process. By which you will gather that I don't do that funny stuff with computers and streaming (the word makes me want to pee) Alas I build my system around the few recordings that are "real stereo" and really fine and try to keep from grinding my teeth with the others and hear the music. I was listening to a Mozart recording last night...the orchestra was about 300 feet in the back and the piano was in my living room. Jeezus!!!  With John's cables I hear stuff that makes me wish I could go back to my first boom box.

Hi Shep,

Hmm, hope this isn't a bad thing with my cables!! :shock:

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2009, 08:07:02 AM »
I've always been curious of the Zu Audio sound.  Heard and read lots of good things but have never heard them.  Anyone know if Zu is returning to their big Thanksgiving sale next week?