Author Topic: Alan Maher Quantum Studio  (Read 24065 times)

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
Re: Alan Maher Quantum Studio
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2009, 09:17:52 AM »
Last night, Shane (hometheaterdoc) stopped by to delivery a Salamander cabinet and while he was here, I had him listen to my system with the Quantum Studio in my audio circuit as well as a trio of Ref IIs inserted in non-audio circuits.   

I think he was quite surprised at the difference/improvement since the last G2G at my place.  Tonal quality was richer, more body and bass slam and soundstage bigger/taller.   I'll let him comment so as to not put words in his mouth.

But one of the interesting observations is what it did on a particular track: Good Morning Heartache by Karrin Allyson.   While Karrin's voice sounded perfect and well placed, there is an acoustic guitar on and off in this track this is normally placed front right in the soundstage and that's exactly where it is in headphone listening.  But that's not what we heard in my room - in fact, it sounded like the guitar component (but only the guitar) was out-of-phase.  String plucks were where we expected them but then we'd hear some of the guitar suddenly coming from the left speaker.  It was eerie. 

After exchanging email with Alan Maher and trying a number of things today, I'm convinced that this is a result of room and speaker placement - not the recording and not directly attributed to the QS or Ref IIs - but rather, a result of the enhanced soundstage that they are enabling.  I've been playing with tow-in and have found I can definitely affect it in doing so.   I'll post more when I can mess with speaker placement further.

Anyone else ever experience this?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 09:19:58 AM by mdconnelly »

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2009, 12:19:08 PM »
You might be experiencing some comb filtering or lobing. It can sound a little like a phase effect. definitely play with speaker placement to see if you can make it go away. Sometimes you can get a similar effect by moving your head a little left and right of the sweet spot, or sometimes more forward or more back. What kink of speakers do you have (some styles are more prone to this than others)?
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 12:38:31 PM »
Yes, Shane and I both noticed that leaning forward or leaning back affected it.  The speakers are Aerial 10Ts.   When I get a chance, I'll definitely try shifting the speakers more to see what I find.   There's not a lot of wiggle room with speaker placement given my room.  See here:

http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=1257.0

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2009, 02:52:53 PM »
Did you notice this phenomenon after installing the power filters?  When you finally try unplugging them, it will be interesting to see the effect on the guitar in that recording. This is some really deep nervosa - I LOVE it!!  Maybe the guitar was recorded out of phase (wouldn't be the first recording snafu) and now you can hear the effect more clearly?

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2009, 02:56:23 PM »
Or, you're getting the noise levels down low enough that you can hear the comb filtering in the room more clearly.  Comb filtering is very common in most rooms and difficult to pin down as a true phase anomoly rather than just a smearing.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2009, 03:22:21 PM »
I definitely think the noise level has been lowered and Shane swore that the guitar in that recording was well placed right-front when we all listened to this track at the last G2g at my place.  It's the 5th track from the ZCable compilation CD Shane had. 

Offline richidoo

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2009, 03:37:17 PM »
Good idea Bryan.... I feel more comfortable with the idea that more is being revealled when everything else is better too.  As opposed to the idea that the power conditioner put some voodoo on guitars.

Phil

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2009, 07:00:15 PM »
Mike,

This is really interesting.  Please let us know what you find out.  I find that the guitar in particular sounds very good in my own system.   

AlanMaher

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2009, 12:48:17 AM »
We offer a speaker set up guide on our web site which is a modified version of the Cardas (recording industry standard) method.

Use the standard method for short wall set up.  Use the dipole method for long wall set up. 

http://alanmaherdesigns.com/DIY.aspx

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2009, 05:38:35 AM »
Phil, the interesting thing is that the tonal qualities of the guitar are excellent, but image placement in the soundstage is just weird.

Alan, I am paying close attention to speaker placement trying to sort this out.  Thanks for the pointer.   Unfortunately, I am a bit constrained with what I can do in the room beyond movement of the speakers a few inches in various directions.   Stay tuned....

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2009, 07:40:07 AM »
Thanks for the pointer.   Unfortunately, I am a bit constrained with what I can do in the room beyond movement of the speakers a few inches in various directions.
Good point that speaks to a broader topic (mods, feel free to move this post to another area if you like).

I ran across the Cardas 'Golden Triangle' placement article some time ago, read it, thought something akin to "That's nice to know but it won't work with my world due to resource constraints", and moved on. In audio as with other areas, I think it's helpful to know what's ideal and apply it within your own paradigms as best you can. Resources - space, $, time, etc - are finite. Some persons have the ability to build a room from scratch, some can use an existing room and work within it somewhat (my case), and others may have to share the audio-based room for other uses.

BTW - this is a great thread and I hope it continues. Fascinating how Alan's products seem to promote better audio, as attested both here and in the AC threads. Love the DIY filter cost and its ease of application, too!

Alan - sorry for misspelling your last name in my earlier post - mea culpa!  :duh
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2009, 08:13:51 AM »
Ah Ha ! The slings and arrows of cleaning up the sound. You will now hear everything . Good and bad. That track could very well be out of phase in your system. Do you have a polarity switch in your Pre or CDP? If so try reversing the polarity and listen again. As an experiment [ if you do not have the switch] reverse your speaker cables to polarity and listen again.  Many Cds are recorded out of phase. Actually in my experience The even numbered tracks are "in phase" and the odd numbered tracks " out of phase. Not all systems are the same some are a reverse of my description. It happens in the transfers to the CD at the pressing plant. Labels that are in phase are RR, Telarc, Chesky, Classic and Acoustic Sounds. Others can be either. Listen for better defined bass and less sibilance. Volume will be a tad louder as well. Once you determine which track [ odd or even ] is in phase for YOUR system your done. REALLY.
   MAY THE PHASE BE WITH YOU.

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2009, 03:45:25 PM »
Actually in my experience The even numbered tracks are "in phase" and the odd numbered tracks " out of phase.

:lmc:

Now I'm smiling   :D

Thanks charles!~

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2009, 12:15:19 PM »
Now I'm confused.  :?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2009, 01:08:50 PM »