Author Topic: Review/Dealer Ad: Quantum AC filter gets rid of electrical noise  (Read 26708 times)

AlanMaher

Re: Quantum AC filter gets rid of electrical noise
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 10:49:02 AM »
Charles,

Every so often we offer beta products for events, system testing, etc.  I usually announce the beta program on Audio Circle, but I can start offering the program here as well.

Our products are difficult to A/B  because of the required set up is normally 15 to 20 days before a filter will show you all it has to offer.     

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 12:36:09 PM »
Charles,

Every so often we offer beta products for events, system testing, etc.  I usually announce the beta program on Audio Circle, but I can start offering the program here as well.

Our products are difficult to A/B  because of the required set up is normally 15 to 20 days before a filter will show you all it has to offer.     

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, Alan.  I've found there is an immediate difference in conditioned vs. non-conditioned power but hearing all the nuances does take time... And comparing conditioners is not as clear-cut... but it can be.  I've directly compared a couple and heard the differences.  But it does take some analysis prior to the comparison to figure out what to compare. 

We have a fairly large meet coming up on June 27th and I don't have a conditioner at all.. I do have 6 dedicated 20a breakers, from a dedicated panel, on nice ATL outlets.  (All has been cryo'd by BlackSandCable)  So, if you want to send one for us to try, I'll be glad to showcase it.

BTW, does your gear have mechanical hum from the transformers?  We've had that issue with some other companies' products.

Thanks,
Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.

AlanMaher

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 01:05:03 PM »
Carl

Right now all beta units are out. 

Our products do not suffer from mechanical hum.  Actually our products are able to banish hum.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 05:38:41 AM »
Charles,

Thank you for the offer. We would not look to A/B the units as we find it pointless. What we would do is insert in our reference system for 20 days to settle in . Then we would remove the filters one at a time to hear what we lost in the change. Well anyway best of luck  with your product and as a consumer thanks again for offering at a fair price.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

AlanMaher

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2009, 12:32:33 AM »
Heads up:  We are running a special on PE V and Quantum Limited Edition filters all next week.  Watch our home page for more info. 

AlanMaher

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2009, 08:48:42 AM »
Sale: June 15-19

PE V Pro Limited Edition: $290.00
Quantum AC Limited Edition: $300.00

Buy 2 PE V Pro or Quantum AC Limited Edition filters and receive a FREE Infinity DIY filter

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2009, 07:57:07 AM »
Well to my surprise a small package arrived yesterday from Alan. Inside a small black box. Not knowing what I had to Alan's website I went. Behold the "Infinity".  Excited like a dog in heat looking to plug it in somewhere I realized it has no plug. Oh my what to do. OK ,OK so so I read the web page. Just attach it to a circuit breaker or duplex with double sided tape. HMMMMMMMMMM. could not get access to the breaker so it was placed on the outlet cover of the separate circuit feeding the preamp and amps. Here we go again with the little black box fooey phooey. Oh yes joining the ranks of the "clock", "teleporters", "Tice enhancer", and so on.
     Well my little chickadees it did something. What it did was exactly what Alan mentions when first installed. It dulled the sound and appeared to changing from good to bad to I'm turning this off right now. So the listening session came to a sudden end. The break in continues as advertised
      Now some 20 hours later the next morning the nervosa was peaking. Made the morning coffee sat down another listen was warranted. Same recording same volume level. There were still some nasties going on that made listening uneasy. However, man o man the imaging appeared more three dimensional and the overall size of the soundstage was larger. What was shocking was the depth of the soundstage. The audience seemed to extend past my rear wall. Crazy. Tonality is still not where it was but its still changing. BTW I'm playing a live CD of Clapton and Steve Winwood at MSG. [ not the best recording BTW].
 The biggest change though the was the improved pace and timing. So to date the tonality is still not there but the improvements in P&T and imaging so soon is quite something.
 I will report back after 3 days and then after 10 days as suggested. Makes me wonder what his powercords do. A five foot cords is very reasonably priced for a change , so what you waiting for . Give them a go.

charles

« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 08:12:31 AM by rollo »
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

AlanMaher

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2009, 11:51:22 AM »
Charles,

When installed on the breaker the magnetic strength of the filter will cause the sound stage to collapse for the first week.  The magic starts to happen between day 6 and 7 after install.  Between day 7 and 12/16 you will experience small refinements throughtout the entire musical spectrum. 

BTW, instead of strapping the Infinity to the breaker it can be mounted to the panel door centered to the selected breaker/s.

I look forward to your continued comments.

Enjoy!

PS. a plug in version will be available next month.  Our case manufacture phased out the case we intended to use, so I'm waiting for a new model to be released. The plug in version is almost 3x as strong as the passive filters.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 12:19:48 PM by AlanMaher »

Phil

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 07:37:38 PM »
Charles,

I'm glad you started with the breaker box infinity first since it seems the easiest way to get a taste of Alan's filters.  Looking forward to your report.  If I didn't already have shakti stones on my breakers I'd give these a try.

While the quantum type plug in filters take longer to break in, the effect is wonderful.

Phil

AlanMaher

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2009, 03:49:33 AM »
Phil...contact Jen next month and have her send you a new Infinity plug in to try....I will let her know in advance that I said it was OK....She should have them ready no later than the middle of the month...I think you will love the synergy with the Quantum filter.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2009, 05:52:11 AM »
Charles,

I'm glad you started with the breaker box infinity first since it seems the easiest way to get a taste of Alan's filters.  Looking forward to your report.  If I didn't already have shakti stones on my breakers I'd give these a try.

While the quantum type plug in filters take longer to break in, the effect is wonderful.

Phil

Day 3. Last evening I put on a very very familiar CD of Leonard Cohen's greatest hits. Track 9,10 and 11 are live cuts. A close miked presentation that always had a bit of exaggerated sibilants. Not any more. Sibilants now decay naturally without the sizzle. . Although still compressed more info is coming through. The backup singer comes through more distinctly and the sense of the live venue is more paletable. Not hyped or Hi fi sounding. The only thing that is missing is the slamatronic dynamics I'm used too. As well as the large and holographic soundstage the Pipedreams are capable of. A bit homogenized still but its only 3 days. So far NO complaints.
  Next report after 7 days.

charles

Phil

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2009, 01:54:51 PM »
Alan,

Will do!  BTW, the quantum filter did improve incrementally over these last few weeks as you said.  It has aged like a fine wine.  Full bodied and subtle.  Very nice!

Charles,

Do you use a PLC?

Phil

AlanMaher

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2009, 11:48:27 PM »
Phil

The next time we chat about the system we should look at Quantum IEC for the digital/video components, PE V Pro IEC for the preamp, and a PE VI IEC (brand new and best PE design yet) for the amp/s.

Charles...keep up the good work,the Infinity is right on schedule.  I look forward to your next comments.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2009, 07:14:55 AM »
OK I could not wait the 7 days. The soundstage finally opened up a bit. So far the biggest improvement is in male and female voice. Sibilants are now presented in a natural way as opposed to any type of Hi Fi sizzle or sharp tone. Actually sibilants have air around them and decay. Amazing ! Bass is deeper and more focused. Tonality overall is the same except for emphasis in the lower treble and upper midrange. IMO this will vanish as all the other initial nasties have. Time will tell.
  There is more information being extracted from the disc as the noise floor has dropped to allow the information to come through. Bass lines are clearly defined during complex passages and backup singers now have more focus and clarity.
   Overall the sound is richer but with presence. Dynamics are coming back but not yet up to what was there before. BTW live recordings really do sound live especially the cymbals and other percussion sounds such as wood blocks, triangles and rim shots.
    So its changing for the good so far. My only cravat so far is the top end performance. A slight bit hard and shouty. So in all fairness a final and complete review will wait until after day 17.

charles

AlanMaher

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2009, 03:14:07 AM »
4th of July Extravaganza
July 3-6

http://www.alanmaherdesigns.com

Don't miss out