Author Topic: Review/Dealer Ad: Quantum AC filter gets rid of electrical noise  (Read 26700 times)

Phil

I posted this on AC but thought this group might not see it there.  Really good stuff.  I'm having fun with tweaks lately. 

This is follow-up to my 2007 review of Alan Maher’s PE (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=45312.0)

After recently upgrading ICs and speaker cables, I started to hear noise in my system (and that started driving my crazy because I started to focus on the noise and not the music).  I have long used an equitech balanced power unit for my source/preamp and have two dedicated lines.  In addition to other tweaks meant to reduce EMI/RFI (both inside and outside of equipment), I had seven of Alan’s PEs installed (one in each dedicated outlet and five in non-audio circuits).  So, I wasn’t sure if a new filter would solve my problem.  I contacted Alan, ordered a Quantum AC filter and replaced the PE that shared the equitech’s outlet.

Five weeks later I’m in awe of this filter.  The noise is long gone.  In its place is music.  Big, expansive music with a level of micro detail that is surprising.  This filter obviously lowers the noise floor substantially and places a very solid image of the musicians in the room.  Compared to the PE it replaces, this filter is in a different league.  The changes are far from subtle.  Every disc sounds new.  A quantum change indeed. 

Timbre is uncanny.  The bass is deeper and better defined.  The mid-bass is much more solid.  The piano is finally portrayed in its full range.  The midrange is simply magical – vocal nuance is greatly enhanced without any kind of artificial boost.  Highs are more extended and airy.  This is the first time I have truly enjoyed trumpet playback from a CD.  The sum total of all of these improvements is a much more nuanced, dynamic and exciting presentation – closer to live music.  You just don’t listen to this music you are embraced by it.     

I’d recommend the Quantum for anyone considering a new piece of gear because it doesn’t seem to do what they expected as well as someone who wants to get the most out of the gear they love.  Info here:  http://alanmaherdesigns.com/PEQ.aspx
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 02:06:55 PM by Carlman »

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Quantum AC filter gets rid of electrical noise
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 12:48:53 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Phil  :).

This looks very interesting!
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Phil

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 01:07:48 PM »
Thanks.  I suppose I should have made it more clear that this filter takes a while (3 1/2 - 5 weeks) to fully settle in.  Listening was fine for the first week and after 3 1/2 but not great in between.  So, it isn't a short experiment. 

That said, I'm very surprised by the result. 

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 04:52:12 PM »
Does it plug into the same outlet as your Equitech to eat noise on that circuit? Or does the power run through it in series?

Thanks for the great review Phil. Not a bad price for the performance you are describing.  Have you tried it on your power amps too?
Rich

Offline mboldda1

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 06:24:29 PM »
phil i have three pe's in my listening room now,can i get rid of the pe's to finance the quantum or wiil it still sound better with pe's still in place?
marvin
Freelance Reviewer For StereoMojo  System: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vopin&1162599347

AlanMaher

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 01:47:56 PM »
Marvin

I would recommend the Quantum AC package.  Leave the PE in place if you are satisfied with the results.  I would actually recommend replacing the PE with one of the larger IEC V's or Quantum IEC units.  The Q IEC is excellent for digital and video front ends, the V Pro is great for the preamp, and the new VI will blow your mind with amp applications.  The PE, like the Reference II, should be used to filter non-a/v circuits.

The Q AC should be used at the wall with the main system power cord.  The PE should be moved to other circuits to filter refridgerator, washer machine, electrostatic air cleaner, dish washer, fish tank, etc.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 01:51:01 PM by AlanMaher »

Phil

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 01:49:17 PM »
Thanks, Rich.  The equitech is plugged into the top receptacle of a duplex outlet and the filter in the bottom receptacle (a parallel filter application).   I think the price is very reasonable given the performance.  I haven't tried it without the equitech, nor with the Butler amp.  The Butler responded well to an upgraded powercord but not much else (not with Alan's PE for example), so I'm not sure I will experiment with it.  I can't plug the amp into the equitech since it is an older model made specifically for sources, unfortunately, then again, no hum with this equitech.  I know that was a problem for you with the larger unit. 

If you don't have any power conditioning, you might think about trying one of Alan's infinity thingies on the main breakers.  Since I have shakti stones on my breakers, I'm not replacing them, but this is the first place to start IMO.  I'm not sure how many to use but at $25 each, this is an easy experiment (Alan could give guidance as to how many).  Apparently, it only takes a few days to settle in so that makes it easy too. 

Marvin,
I'm no expert and all systems are different, but I'd suggest the quantum with your preamp (seems you have a battery powered dac so no options there) and leave the PEs in place for the amps.  I find the IEC version a little funky in my setup, so I have the AC version, but it makes sense to get the filter as close to the preamp as possible. 

Frankly, I removed the PE that was with my amp during burn in of the quantum because it wasn't sure it was working well together and it never did much for the Butler amp anyway.  Too many variables, so I eliminated one.   :)   I think Alan's suggestion is PEs in non-audio circuits (I use five that way) and quantum or later generation PEs filtering equipment.  There was a VERY large difference between the PE and the Quantum with my source/preamp. 

Hope that helps some.  Seems that Alan responded while I was typing, so you have the expert's opinion before mine.

Phil
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 01:52:39 PM by Phil »

AlanMaher

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 02:06:59 PM »
Recommended filter selection:

Digital Transport, CD/DVD Player, DAC, Surround Processor, Class D Amplifiers (Especially Wyred 4 Sound), High-End HTPC, & Flat Panel Display (Plasma and LCD): Quantum AC and IEC filter

Analog Solid State and Tube Preamp: PE V Pro or Pro IEC

Analog Solid State and Tube Amplifier: PE VI

Mid-Fi Digital/Video: PE Quantum Signature
Mid-Fi Preamp & Amp: Reference II

Non Audio/Video Circuits: Mix PE and Reference II.  Motor appliances should use the Reference II and switch mode supplies like the coffee maker, air cleaner, or computer should use the PE.

Circuit breakers, A/C male and IEC power cord shells, small transformers (SACD, DVD, DAC, Preamp), DAC chips, electrical wiring, duplex outlet spare receptacles, power conditioner, power strips, interconnects, speaker cables, internal wiring, speaker cabinets, computers, digital cables, video cables, etc.: Infinity DIY

Speaker Cables: Infinity Speaker Cable Filter

Product Reviews: http://alanmaherdesigns.com/Reviews.aspx

« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 02:45:28 PM by AlanMaher »

Offline stereofool

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 02:38:41 PM »
Alan,

Thanks for the info...that will help greatly in making decisions.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 03:12:53 PM »
Alan,

So I'm curious on something. I sell a fair number of Audience Adept Response aR1p's and also a few Blue Circle BC86MKIII's and now find myself wondering what the difference is between what you are doing and what these other two are doing?

I have had nothing but good luck with aR1p's but if what you are doing is better, I may look at comparing all three side by side and seeing what shakes. Do you have any loaner units?

Thanks,

John

AlanMaher

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 03:29:22 PM »
We all attempt to do the same thing, our units to my knowledge, offer the largest physical designed filter of the bunch.  We pull no punches, all our units are designed to reproduce the live event, each model does it to varying degrees based on the component requirement. 

Without first hand knowledge of the units you mentioned, our clients have replaced their Running Springs Haley, Hydra, PS Audio PPP, Furman, Monster, Blue Circle, Audio Magic, and countless others for our housewide parallel method. 

No loaner units, but we do offer Custom OEM units. More and more cable companies have contacted us over the last several months to design filtering for their product line.  If you would like to continue this conversation I suggest dropping us an email and I can go into more detail. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 03:39:35 PM by AlanMaher »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 04:03:40 PM »
Thanks Alan. I would like to understand how your power conditioner method works. Do you have a technical description of what it is doing? You mention household parallel filtering, sounds interesting, and different from traditional sound system only filters.
Thanks
Rich

AlanMaher

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 02:24:59 AM »
The technical description is standard parallel filtering; we take the concept to the extreme.  Standard PLC's concentrate at the end of the electrical chain, this method is not effective which is obvious by the many PLC models on the market usually by the same manufacture, forget the resale market.  Our concept is to start at the wall, meaning as far back to the service entrance as possible.  Lowing noise at the breaker panel is the best place to start.  We attack this using two different methods, first we use traditional magnetic via our Infinity DIY filter to lower static noise and stabilize the EM field of each individual circuit breaker.  Second, we use active parallel filtering (PE or Reference II) to handle multiple types of noise/secondary noise on non-a/v circuits which is created by harmonic feedback, power supply crosstalk, impedance shifts, etc.

Our AC / IEC filters are usually anywhere from 30% to 150% larger than the typical audiophile power conditioner, the purpose for this is to offer the system / selected component a surrogate power supply and active power factor correction.  Different filter models serve different purposes; each unit does the same exact thing to varying degrees, tonal colorations, information extraction, etc.  For example the Quantum AC/IEC is a master at extracting information in a digital domain compared to the V and VI that concentrate on analog spectrum and harmonic multiples.  The V develops the size and placement of the sound stage, while the VI extracts every last bit of information within the sound stage, musicians would appreciate what the VI can do for the system.  The Reference II deals with mechanical noise created by appliances, and the PE deals with switch mode crosstalk.  None of our filters roll off any part of the musical spectrum which is typical of other designs; instead we correct the peaks and dips in the upper harmonics to increase dynamic range, drop the noise floor, and created a realistic sound stage.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 03:07:00 AM by AlanMaher »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 05:51:07 AM »
Thanks Alan that sounds very good.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 08:09:11 AM »
Alan, looking good. Makes a lot of sense and your products are priced within reason. To date every PC I've tried out has not been desireable. The Furutech [ passive ] so far is the winner for my set up.
   Would it be possible for you to demo or supply your product for one one of our club meetings. Between the Audio Syndrome, Audiophile Society, Gotham, and Rave club attendees a large audience could be had.
   Thankyou for thinking out of the box and pricing your product fairly. Good luck with your product line.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.