Author Topic: a change for a change  (Read 6177 times)

shep

a change for a change
« on: December 02, 2010, 09:08:21 AM »
My Silkworms are on their way! It's too cold to hang out by the malebox. I will of course report. John says that in spite of the cooker they will need time to settle in. As any of you cable freaks will know, they have been superceeded by the Silkworm+, but were a world class cable by any measure not long ago. I wonder if anyone else here has them? (the older version). All the reviews I could find were unanimously enthusisatic. I was looking for a bit more heart and soul than my Grover SXmk2 (which are very good but a bit cerebral) and I am fed up not having a holigraphic soundstage, which the Silks appear to do (at the expense of a bit of dynamics, if I read between the lines). My KCI speaker cables are special and I am really looking forward to this change. I will however stick to Grover's power cable (well I haven't much choice since it's hard-wired!) and I would like one for my amp as well. As you may know, John is a joy to deal with.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 09:11:39 AM by shep »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: a change for a change
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 09:20:14 AM »
Looking forward to your impressions shep. Silkworm is an IC I would like to try someday. 

musicfile

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 01:45:05 PM »
I have the original silkwoms and I think they are a wonderful cable
They are tonally correct and do so many things right ..in my opinion

shep

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 09:00:36 AM »
finally they got here! vacuum sealed to withstand the rigors of winter flight. They are playing as we speak. Will take a few days of settling, according to John. Phew!!!

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 10:54:31 AM »
Waiting patiently for your 1st impression. But it's the final opinion that really matters, that might be a couple months away. Doesn't gold take a long while to break in?

shep

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 11:17:21 AM »
Yes and no...this pair were returned to John for an up-grade deal and one was defective (somebody couldn't help but open an eichmann plug to see...so they had been used and then were cooked for a few days before sending to me. Unfortunately they didn't get chryo'd, so I'll never know what that accomplishes. Yes gold is a long and painfull process I hear, but these must be a good part of the way there. From the start it's obvious they have more body and texture than Grover's; a bit more air and space and a very authoritative velvet glove/iron fist-kind of presentation, but I hasten to say I am dead tired from a long drive and the system was turned off for a week (which as we know, is not liked by Blackgates). I'm running them with the Isotech cd to hasten things along. This is an interesting up-grade, from the previos KCI cable I had. There's a "house" sound but it's a different animal. This is by far the most expensive cable I've ever had (forgetting the generous discount for it being used and very short). By hi-end standards it's cheap though and I suspect plays with the best. Time will tell.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 11:18:56 AM by shep »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 11:23:31 AM »
From the start it's obvious they have more body and texture than Grover's; a bit more air and space and a very authoritative velvet glove/iron fist-kind of presentation

Sounds promising. Thanks shep.

shep

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 11:29:11 AM »
I know you're fond of yours' and we don't have endlessly deep pockets but John does sometimes have returns in stock and is extreemly fair, as I'm sure you know. Worth maybe a loan from him to hear?

Offline Hugh

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 11:38:13 AM »
I have a Silkworm+ pair still sealed. :)

I have not got time to open them up to try, may be one of these days.
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio
Exclusive Melody US Distributor

shep

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 12:04:34 PM »
Unbelieveable! :duh

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 12:28:59 PM »
I know you're fond of yours'

No I don't have anything special now, but they serve me. Just another pair of what I sent to you (original JPS ultraconductor from Agon), and some cheap Bluejeans cable. Hopefully I can get back to trying new things next year. Meantime I live through you  :thumb:

shep

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 12:50:06 PM »
Well if you live thru me, I better make it good! Ok so I know I tend to get carried away when something is new and then I temper my enthusiasm, but...in a word Delicious! My Blackgates needed a few hours to stop fretting. Let's see: system dependant of course but assuming your's is as good or better than mine, these Silworms are silky, smooth, a bit on the warm/dark/fluid side of the fence but extreemly revealing. I assume they will improve with time but I am very impressed. The treble is,  delightfull and free of any splash or edge, the bass is solid and controlled and the mids are...I think still to come on but on the Shelby Lynn album, her voice is totally present and free-floating. You can hear all the studio artifacts, the mike, the walls, etc. Delicious means very tactile, very organic and tasty; full of colour. I still haven't got the stage-width I was hoping for but I guess this is room acoustic related and maybe my speakers just don't. That should hold you for the moment! Maybe Hugh will loan you his unopened ones to try (hint)? Those are the +'s, about which I know nothing though.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 12:58:01 PM »
That'll hold me a for a while....  :mrgreen:   thanx

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 09:19:41 AM »
Well if you live thru me, I better make it good! Ok so I know I tend to get carried away when something is new and then I temper my enthusiasm, but...in a word Delicious! My Blackgates needed a few hours to stop fretting. Let's see: system dependant of course but assuming your's is as good or better than mine, these Silworms are silky, smooth, a bit on the warm/dark/fluid side of the fence but extreemly revealing. I assume they will improve with time but I am very impressed. The treble is,  delightfull and free of any splash or edge, the bass is solid and controlled and the mids are...I think still to come on but on the Shelby Lynn album, her voice is totally present and free-floating. You can hear all the studio artifacts, the mike, the walls, etc. Delicious means very tactile, very organic and tasty; full of colour. I still haven't got the stage-width I was hoping for but I guess this is room acoustic related and maybe my speakers just don't. That should hold you for the moment! Maybe Hugh will loan you his unopened ones to try (hint)? Those are the +'s, about which I know nothing though.

Now if I could only find a Woman that fits that descpription  :roll:

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.