Author Topic: Rega Apollo 35th Anniversary Edition  (Read 16674 times)

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Rega Apollo 35th Anniversary Edition
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 10:47:15 AM »
I've never like the rega sound.  I've heard various iterations and never found one I'd want to own long term... different strokes and all that...

I "found" an old player of mine when I was moving a few months ago.  It started life as a Sony some model or another and was then royally modded to the hilt by a friend in nova scotia.  he dipped his own circuit boards and completely re-worked the entire machine inside aside from the transport mechanism.  It never was the most hyper detailed or plumbed the depths like other players I've had... but that thing had PRAT like nobody's business.  I've been computer based for so long now, I forgot I had the darn thing.  I'm going to try to remember to pull it out and put it in the new system just to try...

the mention of CAL players had me travelling down memory lane as well.... lots of reliability issues in the ones I used, but the sounded darn good for the money at the time...

I'm too darn lazy for a single player long term (that would explain how Mike has my Oracle transport), but every once in a while, it's nice. 

I've been trying to find a better USB to SPDIF or AES converter that doesn't screw up the sound moreso than trying different variations of stand alone players.  My Oracle DAC1000 is phenomenal and sounds better fed true XLR connected digital than RCA coax.  But there is a dearth of products that do nothing but the conversion from USB to coax or AES.  They all want to do the DAC step as well.  I've thought about trying an Apogee Big Ben in there for clocking since most USB implementations aren't great.  But I've got to get out of the computer into it first.
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......