Author Topic: Squeezebox is for Kids  (Read 5265 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Squeezebox is for Kids
« on: December 13, 2008, 08:22:34 PM »
My 10yo son is a good boy. He is thriving in every activity of his simple little life, good grades, hard worker. He loves music, so when I came across some unused gear while cleaning I got the idea to set up a real stereo in his room. All gear deserves to play music, and I thought he would appreciate it. He loves playing piano and a musician feeds on music. By his age I was listening to lots of jazz.

I gave him an old Sony surround receiver that someone gave me in payment for helping set up their new surround receiver. It was collecting dust in my closet. A pair of Infinity Entra-1 CMMD 2 way bookshelf speakers, good to 50Hz - nice....  8)  and of course, the obligatory SB3, which has been unused since Sonos came to town, but I keep it for the Inguz room correction capability. Plain wires.

He helped me set everything up. Cleaning the room was the hardest part, I didn't help with that. He helped set the SB up with WEP, engaging slimserver on the NAS, setting up networking on SB, etc. At one point he said while I was logged into NAS and router, "I never knew you could do all this stuff with the computer!" A new hacker is born?

I setup the speaks wide on a desk and a dresser so the sweet spot is sitting on edge of his bed. He is not to that point yet, but he digs the clear powerful sound of music in his little zone. He is beside himself with pride and amazement that he could have such excellent sound in his own room. I am amazed at how good it sounds for about $200 worth of gear.

His mother hung out with him tonight and showed him The Cure, and a bunch of other stuff on the network that he will explore. But before that, the first thing he played on there of his own choosing was some off color Ben Folds out of the 'Carlman' directory... AHEM!    :rofl:   He likes the old school high energy progressive rock stuff. "I told him there's a lot more where that came from - Uncle Carl will hook you up!"

He likes to explore internet stations looking for "YO" music which is gritty hiphop so they can dance like gangsters with their pants down around their ass. He also gets a kick out of foreign news where they "talk funny."

The little Sony kicks pretty good, it must be at least 15 years old. When we started it up it sounded like shit because the previous owners had all kinds of EQ and surround effect programs engaged. Once I shut that shit off, and turned the bass back to flat it started to make some nice music. After a little tweeking, eventually he said something like "That's good enough Dad."  :rofl:  He just wanted to get hold of the remote and start jamming.

PS: Reading a little on slim forum tonight I came across a post saying new SqueezeCenter 7.3 (maybe beta??) is a big improvement for wireless SB and Duet remote.

Just wanted to share. You guys got kids listening to music?

Dougie085

Re: Squeezebox is for Kids
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 08:43:41 PM »
It's always nice when you get the younger generations interested in "real" music.  :)

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 12:00:51 AM »
My kids (9 & 11) can both use either a Slim or a Sonos system. My 11 year old actually controls her own Sonos system with her Ipod touch.

I have both running and they constantly go for the Sonos as they say it's easier to use and more fun. I'm pushing close to 25,000 FLAC files these days and it's funny as hell when I come home and find one of them listening to music and the barrage of questions come at me "Dad, who is Frank Zappa, who is Deep Purple, who is".....and so on and so on.

I love it!  :)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 02:27:30 PM »
I'm donating a pair of my blue micro's (tiny little speakers) to a friend's daughter who's going to college... She's into the ipod and such so, it'll be a bit more compact, with the PC serving as preamp and source.

Looking forward to another visit.. maybe next week you can help me with my offsite backup, Rich?  Maybe your boy can verify the backup for me.. You gotta teach 'em business young! ;)

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

miklorsmith

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 07:49:28 AM »
Mine aren't quite old enough for the SB yet, but I bet my 6-year-old will be there before he turns 7.  He just got a "new" PC, networked up.  This is his third machine and he's better than I would ever think at 6.  He loves music and can identify bands/singers in the car even when he hasn't heard the song before.  He has a full-sized keyboard and likes messing around with that too.

Our 4-year-old girl can't carry a tune but she loves to sing.  She knows most of the words to the new Jack Johnson album.

They hear a lot of music at home.  If exposure is enough, they're sure to become audiophiles!

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 08:08:50 AM »
Mike, your boy needs only one thing: TrainTown. Sounds like you will be having a magical Christmastime.

miklorsmith

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 09:02:44 AM »
Wow, that looks way cool.  Thanks!

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 06:54:50 PM »
Becca absolutely loves the blue speakers! Thank you, Carl.

I got her a little used Technics receiver to run them.  She had no idea what it was.  I had to explain it to her.

She has a whole range of music on her PC: Bob Marley, James Brown, Parliament/Funkadelic, Black Sabbath, off-color Ben Folds  (from Carl's directory), Norah Jones, Eva Cassidy, The Yardbirds, loads of Beatles and Lennon, Maceo Parker, Stevie Wonder, Genesis and Yes, Zeppelin.  She also has a bunch of current stuff that old guys without teens wouldn't know.  She has ears and knows how to use them. 

She's even threatening to get a turntable...at some point.

Dougie085

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 07:10:09 PM »
How old is she again? lol I'm starting to buy parts here and there for my DIY TT which at my age most people don't want? I'm only 23 (nearly 24) but then again I'm quite different then most other 24 year olds I know lol.

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 09:30:58 AM »
She is still a bit young for you.  She's 16.  She really in quasi-college.  Hhere's where I puff up my chest):  She goes to he SC Governor's School for Science and Mathematics.  It's a residential high school for kids who are next-planet smart.  128 of the best students in the state get to attend, through a stringent application process.  They run on a college type schedule and take classes that exceed most colleges 200 level courses. 

But sit tight.  She's cute AND has social skills.