Author Topic: Schiit Audio -Bifrost DAC due shortly!!!!  (Read 7028 times)

eclein

Schiit Audio -Bifrost DAC due shortly!!!!
« on: August 06, 2011, 07:29:59 AM »
If you guys didn't hear about it Schiit has a DAC in the works thats due to release on the 30th and these units are user upgradeable. The USB module and DAC module are changeable/upgradeable and its like $349 without USB or $449 with it but the module can always be added later. And as the tech landscape changes they will offer upgrades to either portion-DAC or USB.
 If this sounds good, it will be awesome....I hope it sounds good because I ordered one...LOL...that is some crazy Schiit!!!

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Schiit Audio -Bifrost DAC due shortly!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 08:37:10 AM »
Well I don't know Schitt about this unit, so I for one look forward to hearing what you think of it.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

mgalusha

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 06:01:58 PM »
I ordered one as well, eagerly awaiting it's arrival. Should prove most interesting.

mike

eclein

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 01:26:13 PM »
I figure these two guys are well known in the industry and have had a bunch of win, wins in their time already. They start a company and call it Schiit because its fun and funny and then they proceed to put out a few products that have already become critically acclaimed and they know the value of that type of buzz so to have a dud right now spoils it all, so on that basis alone I think this will kick buttsky.
 I just have a feeling that soon I'll have a bunch of Schiit powering my system, and frankly it will be very cool to say, if someone asks about my gear, that I just have a pile of Schiit for a system!!!!!  LOL.....I'm twisted but the Schiit is good!!!!!!

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 12:42:28 PM »
Their website mentions future step-up and even bigger step-up products, so I'm holding out to find out what those are like (I already have 2 DACs).

DaveC

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 07:34:31 PM »
Any feedback on this DAC?

I got one and currently I am letting it burn in...

It will (maybe) replace an Audio Alchemy DTI/XDP DAC combo from way back in the 90's. In addition to the AA pair (the DTI is a reclocking box), I have a Trends USB > SPDIF converter with an oversize linear PS. So the Bifrost would replace 3 boxes, a digi coax and an i2s cable.

Right out of the box it was really bad, but after a few hours it started to open up. I have heard it needs 100+ hours so I put a couple 100k resistors across an RCA plug and am running it continuously whether I'm listening or not. It's been about 24 hours and there is enough promise to continue to burn it in, then I will compare.

Offline Face

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 02:29:54 PM »

It will (maybe) replace an Audio Alchemy DTI/XDP DAC combo from way back in the 90's. In addition to the AA pair (the DTI is a reclocking box), I have a Trends USB > SPDIF converter with an oversize linear PS. So the Bifrost would replace 3 boxes, a digi coax and an i2s cable.

Right out of the box it was really bad, but after a few hours it started to open up. I have heard it needs 100+ hours so I put a couple 100k resistors across an RCA plug and am running it continuously whether I'm listening or not. It's been about 24 hours and there is enough promise to continue to burn it in, then I will compare.

You find it bright?

DaveC

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 08:36:55 AM »

You find it bright?

Maybe the first 150 hours or so. Now that it's broken in, I'd say neutral. It offers a good amount of detail; acoustic instruments sound more real, on a stand up bass I can hear more  resonances from the body of the instrument and subtleties in the way the string is bowed or plucked instead of just the main tones the instrument produces. It's almost like being closer to the instrument and hearing it unamplified vs. further away and hearing it over a PA system. Just not quite that dramatic, lol.

I haven't switched back to the AA DAC yet, but plan to compare them soon. I'm pretty sure the AA is going to get it's butt kicked, not for sounding bad, but for leaving out too much information.

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 08:33:19 PM »
Hi DaveC

How goes it with the Schiit Bifrost? Still enjoying it. Have you done any A/Bing with the Audio Alchemy gear you had previously?

DaveC

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 09:45:58 PM »
Yeah, it's some good Schiit. The AA is a nice DAC and has a somewhat warmer presentation vs the Bifrost, but the Bifrost is cleaner, clearer and more detailed. I have A/B'ed them back and forth and the AA gear and Trends USB>SPDIF converter are up for sale. The differences aren't night and day, but it is apparent the Schiit is in a different league vs the AA. IMO, that's saying a lot for the AA gear though, it's almost 20 years old, and I'd guess the design goals were for something warmer and more laid back to give audiophiles a break from some of the harsh early digital recordings. I have compared my AA DAC vs a friend's Dragonfly DAC and the AA was definitely superior in that matchup, but that's not surprising considering the Dragonfly doesn't even have its own power supply. 

My goals for my source are accurate and neutral, and the Schiit delivers. This is a great deal for the money and if Schiit's next DAC (Gungnir) for a few bills more is clearly superior to the Bifrost I'll be saving my money.

Also, I did install a Create Audio fuse and made a powercord for it using Wattgate connectors, both were a noticeable improvement. Next are the RCA jacks, I found some DH Labs copper RCA jacks for $24/pair.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 09:49:05 PM by DaveC »