Author Topic: Share experiences with Cap Rolling  (Read 4110 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Share experiences with Cap Rolling
« on: February 26, 2020, 05:45:26 AM »
I know it is very common to roll tubes, but how about caps?
I am considering rolling some caps, does anyone have experience with VCaps CuTF? Jupiter Copper Foil? I know that caps can impart their own personality into electronics and they can get very expensive so i figured I'd ask first lol! Thanks.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Share experiences with Cap Rolling
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 09:37:38 AM »
What component? I roll caps often.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 10:26:23 AM »
Preamp
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline Folsom

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 10:36:21 AM »
 :rofl: That's still very little information.

I don't like Teflon because it has too much 3rd harmonic but some people think that's the life in them. Jupiter's sound pretty nice. But I like the linearity or low hysteresis in PIOs and polycarbonates usually. The 940C is also a great capacitor.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 11:54:53 AM »
Hmmm ok a phonostage preamp. I was told by the designer that if I wanted to "improve" the sound to change a specific part, a Cardas Golden Ratio Cap 0.015uf 600V. I have it down to a V Cap CuTf and the Jupiter Copper Foil. My choice is the Copper foil and I just want to see what others have experience with. That said the Cardas were good in their day (2003) but it seems with the years that have passed there is quite a lot of choices of boutique caps.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 01:10:59 PM »
I used AmpOhm oil filled caps many years ago ion my phono stage, before they went out of business. These caps were highly prized back in the day but are unobtanium now. They had a slight warmth to them that sounded great on vinyl and were nicely transparent. Better then the Multicaps that were in there originally.

When the Jupiters came out and got such rave reviews a few years agon I installed them in the phono stage next to the AmpOhms. You see, I have a "phase switch" on my phono stage that allows me to actually use either the AmpOhms or the Jupiters. I can switch between one or the other easily.

Here's the verdict. I really can't tell the difference between them. They are both beautiful caps, clear & transparent and making music. The one benefit of the Jupiters are they are much smaller than any oil filled cap, but you need to check the space you have available because most boutique caps are generally larger than the stuff that comes with equipment.

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 03:20:37 PM »
BoBM, I am fortunate that the Phonostage that I bought is so well designed and built (like a tank). I bought it not only for its sound quality but the way it is made, lots of room for playing. I am mindful and will check clearances before jumping.

Offline Folsom

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 07:08:58 PM »
Jim, what voltage is required?

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 04:39:24 AM »
the cap currently in the circuit is 600V rating. I am thinking a Jupiter Copper foil based on what I have read. The Teflons are very detailed but I am concerned they may be clinical

Offline Folsom

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 09:51:16 AM »
Here's the thing, I highly doubt the circuit is at 600v for a phono preamp. It could under 100v for all I know. The reason to ask is because you're going to pay a lot more for 600v caps (price goes up with voltage), and it limits the choices a lot more. Some manufacturers only produce one voltage, so if it was 600v and they liked the sound, they used it even though it's very high compared to what's required.

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2020, 09:56:13 AM »
I too use to use a lot of AmpOhm. In fact still have a few pairs in a drawer that I will likely never use now. I did like them a lot.
I have been using V-Cap since they were introduced. I like the combination of the OIMP with CUTF.
Right now my cap of choice is the Dynamicap. Smooth yet refined presentation.
In the end, there are so many good caps out there to choose from. It all comes down to what you want and how much you want to spend.  This does not mean you need to drop tons of money to get a quality capacitors. You just need the right one.
Design Engineer
Purity Audio Design www.PurityAudioDesign.com
Purity Foundation Streaming Pre, Foundation DAC, Purity Foundation Hybrid GaN 200, Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Classic, Sony SACD Player, Nakamichi tape deck,

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2020, 10:13:11 AM »
Here's the thing, I highly doubt the circuit is at 600v for a phono preamp. It could under 100v for all I know. The reason to ask is because you're going to pay a lot more for 600v caps (price goes up with voltage), and it limits the choices a lot more. Some manufacturers only produce one voltage, so if it was 600v and they liked the sound, they used it even though it's very high compared to what's required.

I totally agree with you, Im just reciting what is in there now. I can't go wrong if I replace with same voltage. I can get back to Kevin and find out if I can go lower in voltage. BTW I think the Jupiters are already 600V rated.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2020, 10:14:41 AM »
I too use to use a lot of AmpOhm. In fact still have a few pairs in a drawer that I will likely never use now. I did like them a lot.
I have been using V-Cap since they were introduced. I like the combination of the OIMP with CUTF.
Right now my cap of choice is the Dynamicap. Smooth yet refined presentation.
In the end, there are so many good caps out there to choose from. It all comes down to what you want and how much you want to spend.  This does not mean you need to drop tons of money to get a quality capacitors. You just need the right one.

Ive been told that the VCaps can sound sterile (and needs 600hrs of burn in ha ha) I dont think I put in that many hours in a year

Offline Folsom

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2020, 12:22:03 PM »
site has some good information thank you. So you telling me i gotta spend $239 burning in some $68 caps  :rofl: