Music Ward > Music Discussion

Any Karen Carpenter fans here?

<< < (2/2)

S Clark:
Ms. Ericks has a beautiful voice that is almost a Karen Carpenter clone in tone.  Almost.   Carpenter had more resonance and a deeper range... and arguably the best pop music voice since ?Ella?  Even Ms. Fitzgerald didn't have that liquid roundness that Karen did so effortlessly. 

richidoo:
Ever notice how women pop stars have very low voice, while male pop stars have very high voice?
Karen Carpenter was a tenor and Michael Jackson was a soprano.

It's difficult to be in fan jail. Drugs is common way to deal with the pressures of "being famous."

I always liked her. I was ~5yo when she was big. The little I heard of her on radio back then I liked. Nice voice, warm loving personality in her voice. Very motherly and soothing. She was a decent drummer, too, fancied jazz. I think we talked about her drumming here a few years back.   RIP Karen

malloy:

--- Quote from: Nick B on September 05, 2020, 01:56:44 PM ---Shane has a very good voice and a lot of subscribers. As to Karen Carpenter, I appreciate her more now than when she was performing.

--- End quote ---

True. I never expected this quality. I was expecting a Billie Eillish-esque, hip-singing, whisper pop-ish, 'cannot sing', 'cannot carry a tune' rendition. So, quite a pleasant surprise. About Karen, I only did appreciate her much later on.

--- Quote from: S Clark on September 05, 2020, 07:41:22 PM ---Ms. Ericks has a beautiful voice that is almost a Karen Carpenter clone in tone.  Almost.   Carpenter had more resonance and a deeper range... and arguably the best pop music voice since ?Ella?  Even Ms. Fitzgerald didn't have that liquid roundness that Karen did so effortlessly.

--- End quote ---

Yes. She even comes very close to the phrasing of the originals. She most likely studied the songs very closely.

rollo:
  Have several Karen Carpenter LPs. Content is VG however recording quality sucks.

charles

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version